Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

First round in the books with these. My swing was off today. Had a case of the pulls but the forgiveness on these is good. Distance loss on non center hits was minimal. The feel for me is good. Not as soft as the z545s but close.

Just got word, mine will be in the store tomorrow.

Why did I call Discount Dan's?

Ugh I hate being financially responsible.

Now that I'm on an iPad here are some more thoughts from my round. I was able to play a knock down/flight end shot with 8-pw with no issues. We had some wind in the course today, nothing real strong (10-15 mph). I payed several shots that were 3/4 knock down and they flew how I wanted them to and had enough spin to not roll out to much. I hit a 3/4 9i into a par 3 playing 136. It landed 2" in front of the hole and rolled 3.5' past the hole.

full shots into the wind and with it didn't have any ill affects. My swing was wonky today and every time I missed these performed well for me. On solid struck shots the launch was high without ballooning. The greens were soft due to rain yesterday and into the early morning...I didn't see a lot of roll out today

Now that I'm on an iPad here are some more thoughts from my round. I was able to play a knock down/flight end shot with 8-pw with no issues. We had some wind in the course today, nothing real strong (10-15 mph). I payed several shots that were 3/4 knock down and they flew how I wanted them to and had enough spin to not roll out to much. I hit a 3/4 9i into a par 3 playing 136. It landed 2" in front of the hole and rolled 3.5' past the hole.

full shots into the wind and with it didn't have any ill affects. My swing was wonky today and every time I missed these performed well for me. On solid struck shots the launch was high without ballooning. The greens were soft due to rain yesterday and into the early morning...I didn't see a lot of roll out today
Thanks nice first review. I like the high launch without ballooning. That's the flight I love. I stopped at GS at lunch today to hit again seeing mine won't be here until next week. Was pounding that 7 iron. Can't wait. I'm jealous. Playing with a few THPERS tomorrow and was hoping to have these in the bag.

Last edited:
Thanks nice first review. I like the high launch without ballooning. That's the flight I love. I stopped at GS at lunch today to hit again seeing mine won't be here until next week. Was pounding that 7 iron. Can't wait. I'm jealous. Playing with a few THPERS tomorrow and was hoping to have these in the bag.

It was nice to hit some short irons into the wind and have them not really affected. Iirc I hit two with the wind and same thing, they just got in the air and rode the wind.

Good initial thoughts. Mine are on the truck for delivery today, will get them on the course on Sunday.

I will have mine about 3 pm and may have to play tomorrow so I have a round in before the normal gambling Sunday morning round. Going to be interesting to see how much difference it makes going to the 110 Recoils.

I tried this club out today and was incredibly impressed. 7i was carrying 190 dead straight. That's probably close to 12yrds farther than my current TM burner 2.0's that I have.

A little over my current budget, but I may have to splurge on either these of the new 716's...

aa9a8f7ec951eebfeb3c39a972fd1bc9.jpg

718e7188c74d556fc3cfde934a3da111.jpg

50f83264723f67e2c24617b0551aa3d8.jpg

Yes sir!

man that set up looks nice!!! December cannot get here soon enough!

The color of the recoil shaft was a nice surprise. Looks like steel. Even tho pics make them look grey.

Cannot wait to hit these beauties in December.... waiting is hard

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice, I ordered the Acid Green UTx. Mine still haven't shipped yet. Ugh, called CS and I'm told still in shipping. Oh well next week of they ship today. I was so looking forward to having these for this weekends round.

Not a ton of difference in size vs og apex. I like it.

07bbab50e2164aeb2ac248f9f031aa2e.jpg

ce92fe2794c93d36b86c852190d56716.jpg

For those who choose to go with graphite shafts, are you moving from "MAN" steel to "GRANDPA" graphite (I'm kidding)? If so, what made you change? Are there any pros and cons you would be willing to share? Thanks.

I moved for hopefully less stress on my aching body. And if I get more distance so be it.

For those who choose to go with graphite shafts, are you moving from "MAN" steel to "GRANDPA" graphite (I'm kidding)? If so, what made you change? Are there any pros and cons you would be willing to share? Thanks.

I had some tendinitis in my elbow, figured I would give graphite a go. I think a swing change helped with that more than graphite, but I have not missed anything with graphite that I had with steel.

My only concern now is the graphite shafts I want to try are quite a bit more than steel options.

Great question, with my bad back, I'm wondering if there is any advantage in going grandpa graphite as well.

Not sure how it would be for your back, but they definitely help for hands, wrist, elbows and shoulders. And the performance is nothing to sneeze at either.

I went from KBS C taper to C Taper light to Graphite and gained yards and control, loved the ball flight with the C Tapers but the resulting (mostly wrist) pain was not any fun.

I will say the modern version of graphite shafts, whether Recoil, Steelfibers or Aldila RIP, they are as far removed from the preconceived notions that graphite are for older/slower swingers.

I switched to Recoils because they truly perform like a steel shaft in every sense except I don't feel it post round in my shoulder, wrists or elbows.

I know we are all different and and look for different things in a shaft, but for me I've have not seen where Recoils have not performed as equal as steel counterparts in their weight class.

Great question, with my bad back, I'm wondering if there is any advantage in going grandpa graphite as well.
Negative. I've had 4 back surgeries, including 2 fusions. A light steel shaft and a swing change will give you the most benefit. I actually went from a 13 to a 3 by doing this. Club up and swing smooth and easy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Finally got my shipping notification should be here Wednesday at latest. Stoked for these.

Back