Wilson Staff FG V4 IRONS

Had these babies working pretty well today. And the 2u is still a bad somebody off the tee or from the fairway.....just love hitting it.. Confidence is quite high.

The way you hit it the confidence should always be through the roof.

Had these babies working pretty well today. And the 2u is still a bad somebody off the tee or from the fairway.....just love hitting it.. Confidence is quite high.

The 4i from 210 to about 5' in the dark was nice.

Blind squirrel finds a nut. Hahaha
That's what I say every time I luck into a decent shot. Law of averages says I'm bound to hit a good one by accident eventually.

That's what I say every time I luck into a decent shot. Law of averages says I'm bound to hit a good one by accident eventually.

Exactly......these are a fun iron to hit, and when I'm hitting the well they are very sold.

Exactly......these are a fun iron to hit, and when I'm hitting the well they are very sold.
The crazy thing for me is that I haven't lost any distance compared to the C100s. Both play my 7i at 170 which is remarkable IMO and a testament to the V4s.

The crazy thing for me is that I haven't lost any distance compared to the C100s. Both play my 7i at 170 which is remarkable IMO and a testament to the V4s.

Your ball striking skills have a little something to do with that too. You have to hit it consistently solid to be comfortable playing your C100 distances with the V4s.

Your ball striking skills have a little something to do with that too. You have to hit it consistently solid to be comfortable playing your C100 distances with the V4s.

Believe me, he's hitting it solidly. Dude is filthy with his irons right now!

Lies. My tee shot on 16 was a disgrace.
True enough. But that was one shot. Otherwise you were solid

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The lofts are indeed a bit weaker, but the stock shafts are also a little longer.

That's incredible. When you say the stock shaft is longer, are you saying the DG Pro translates in more distance for your game, or the shaft length (inches) is longer?

That's incredible. When you say the stock shaft is longer, are you saying the DG Pro translates in more distance for your game, or the shaft length (inches) is longer?
I mean that the stock shaft length is physically longer than other brands.

I mean that the stock shaft length is physically longer than other brands.

That's interesting, I've never checked it. And I haven't noticed it feeling and different.

That's interesting, I've never checked it. And I haven't noticed it feeling and different.
Yep. For example, FG V4 7i is 37.25" vs Apex Pro at 37.00".

Admittedly, it's only a quarter inch, so I don't think it fully explains it by any means. But it is interesting and probably plays in slightly I'd guess.

Yep. For example, FG V4 7i is 37.25" vs Apex Pro at 37.00".

Admittedly, it's only a quarter inch, so I don't think it fully explains it by any means. But it is interesting and probably plays in slightly I'd guess.

For me the Apex Pro's still play longer. But it's not anything significant really. Talking less than 3 yards.

For me the Apex Pro's still play longer. But it's not anything significant really. Talking less than 3 yards.
Again, not saying it's the main factor, just one of several. FWIW, I had the same experience and the Apex Pros were longer than any other players iron I've hit.

Pretty solid round with these yesterday. Played in some crazy wind so a lot of punches and 3/4 swings were used. I didn't have my best stuff yesterday but these irons offer just enough forgiveness that I can get by on those days.

I am finding contact just heel-side of center yields the best results and the nicest feel.

Pretty solid round with these yesterday. Played in some crazy wind so a lot of punches and 3/4 swings were used. I didn't have my best stuff yesterday but these irons offer just enough forgiveness that I can get by on those days.

I am finding contact just heel-side of center yields the best results and the nicest feel.

i just chuckle when you post about these. Pretty sure in July we spoke about these and you were saying no way you could game them.

i just chuckle when you post about these. Pretty sure in July we spoke about these and you were saying no way you could game them.
At the time I honestly believed it. Just goes to show that sometimes you need to step out of your mental notions or comfort zone, put some sticks in the bag, and go play golf. Never know what might happen.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm guessing that the Apex Pros would be longer for me as well, but I could see how a lower-ball hitter could get more carry out of the Wilson's with more spin and launch and a slightly longer shaft. Just goes to show you why you need to test/get fit.

Again, not saying it's the main factor, just one of several. FWIW, I had the same experience and the Apex Pros were longer than any other players iron I've hit.

My recent entry into the 2016 Ben Hogan event means that my FG Tour V4s are officially on borrowed time. These irons have been so good to me and have really opened my eyes to what profile I like and also what profile iron I'm capable of playing. I'll try and provide a summary of all my thoughts after the time I've spent with them.

Pros:
-Absolutely stunning look. The chrome finish isn't for everybody but for this golfer it absolutely pops paired with the black/golf accents. The look at address is nice and compact heel to toe, and the topline is small without being tiny. Overall an extremely appealing package both in the bag and down by the ball.
-The feel is perfect. PERFECT...when you hit the sweet spot of course lol.
-The performance is exactly what a golfer would want in this profile of an iron. They launch higher than comparable sets for me, especially in the mid and long irons, and they also spin a little higher. For this golfer that resulted in longer carry distances and softer landings. I attribute these performance gains to the thinner face W/S implemented in these irons, putting more weight lower and behind the sweet spot. The ability to flight the ball up or down, left or right, is on par with other sets of a similar profile.
-TT DG Pro shafts are a solid match.

Cons:
-W/S boasts an improved sole camber to help with turf interaction, but I didn't notice better performance in this area than other irons.
-The paintfill in the engraved numbers chipped and peeled out too easily.
-

My recent entry into the 2016 Ben Hogan event means that my FG Tour V4s are officially on borrowed time. These irons have been so good to me and have really opened my eyes to what profile I like and also what profile iron I'm capable of playing. I'll try and provide a summary of all my thoughts after the time I've spent with them.

Pros:
-Absolutely stunning look. The chrome finish isn't for everybody but for this golfer it absolutely pops paired with the black/golf accents. The look at address is nice and compact heel to toe, and the topline is small without being tiny. Overall an extremely appealing package both in the bag and down by the ball.
-The feel is perfect. PERFECT...when you hit the sweet spot of course lol.
-The performance is exactly what a golfer would want in this profile of an iron. They launch higher than comparable sets for me, especially in the mid and long irons, and they also spin a little higher. For this golfer that resulted in longer carry distances and softer landings. I attribute these performance gains to the thinner face W/S implemented in these irons, putting more weight lower and behind the sweet spot. The ability to flight the ball up or down, left or right, is on par with other sets of a similar profile.
-TT DG Pro shafts are a solid match.

Cons:
-W/S boasts an improved sole camber to help with turf interaction, but I didn't notice better performance in this area than other irons.
-The paintfill in the engraved numbers chipped and peeled out too easily.
-

Is this a cue for me to start saving my money?

I had my best round with the V4's today (81) since bagging them last week, still some work to do to get used to the DG Pros and the small head. Reading Army's post about just inside center for the best contact is spot on. They just seem to burst off the sweet spot, miss and pay the price which for me is a short left.

Still tending to hook one every now and then but that is on me, coming off a couple weeks with the F6 and M2 irons is taking a bit of adjustment. They tended to go straight or fade with my normal swing and I tend to draw the V4's as a rule. Not sure why, maybe just a tendency to snap the smaller club shut. Panda did say he saw me shutting them down and it takes focus to hit it them well consistently.

Should be a pleasure going to the PTx Hogans with a bit more forgiveness in about the same size head.

I had my best round with the V4's today (81) since bagging them last week, still some work to do to get used to the DG Pros and the small head. Reading Army's post about just inside center for the best contact is spot on. They just seem to burst off the sweet spot, miss and pay the price which for me is a short left.

Still tending to hook one every now and then but that is on me, coming off a couple weeks with the F6 and M2 irons is taking a bit of adjustment. They tended to go straight or fade with my normal swing and I tend to draw the V4's as a rule. Not sure why, maybe just a tendency to snap the smaller club shut. Panda did say he saw me shutting them down and it takes focus to hit it them well consistently.

Should be a pleasure going to the PTx Hogans with a bit more forgiveness in about the same size head.

nice shooting jim. i thought those irons were beautiful when we played.

Back