Hitting the ball on a slight upswing with putter

Yff Theos

Reaction score
Handicap
I never was specially interested in deepening the technique of putting know-how but never was a bad putter either as well as my students do not need putting lessons (at least from me). Recently I have read that great putters hit the ball on upswing which means they increase the loft of the putter. Granted, it makes a total sense in avoiding skidding and searching for a true rolling from the start. However, greens are tightest possible surfaces in golf what would mean the low point has to be just a bit over the grass and still well before the ball. I would appreciate comments from teaching putting pros and really good amateur putters on the matter.

I'm no pro or anything but I almost feel like I'm trying to thin the ball. Not to any extreme like hitting the middle of the ball with the bottom of the putter but at impact, the putter isn't brushing the ground or where it is at address. I suppose this could be like an upswing but it has always helped me get the ball rolling right away and was confirmed when I was fit for my putter at Bettinardi Studio B and saw my stroke and impact on camera.

I'm no pro or anything but I almost feel like I'm trying to thin the ball. Not to any extreme like hitting the middle of the ball with the bottom of the putter but at impact, the putter isn't brushing the ground or where it is at address. I suppose this could be like an upswing but it has always helped me get the ball rolling right away and was confirmed when I was fit for my putter at Bettinardi Studio B and saw my stroke and impact on camera.

Good. Did you notice how much before the ball was your low point at Bettinardi's?

Good. Did you notice how much before the ball was your low point at Bettinardi's?

No I didn't. I was more concerned with face angle and loft presented at impact than low point. I switched from a mallet style to a wide blade so I was more concerned with strike and impact than anything. I did notice however that the ball hardly skidded at all and started rolling much better than my fitter hoped. He put a line on the video and said by that point, the line on the ball should be at a 45* from where it started and I was already at 90*+.

I believe the best results are obtained when the putter is traveling roughly parallel to the surface thru impact. That could easily account for a feeling of hitting "up", on uphill putts, and "down" on downhill putts. One gets the same sensation when playing an iron shot from an up or downhill lie. Making a level stroke, on an uphill putt, has the same effect as hitting down on a level one: more skid and less distance.

a drill I picked up to work on hitting up was placing 2 quarters behind the ball when practicing

I just recently heard about this as well. I have to say, it FEELs much better off the face. My distances aren't as erratic. Although it took me a round to reign it in. I had a hole round where the ball was going long when I first switched to this. I consider that improvement though because before it was more of a two way miss of long and short.

a drill I picked up to work on hitting up was placing 2 quarters behind the ball when practicing

It seems to be a very simple and effectve drill. Thanks for sharing.

Back