Do you get nervous on the first tee?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
As everyone knows THP puts on the best events. In 2018 we will have some seriously major events. Most of not all will have first tee shot in front of all that we are part of the event. And for some there are nerves, nerves like they have never felt. And others, not so much.

So which are you? Do you get nervous on the first tee or not?

You bet I do for Events, not any other time except in front of THPer's

At an official event? Absolutely. Not really so much in an unofficial event or impromptu gathering of THPers.

Yes, but only at THP events.

Not really but I am always extremely excited because I know the first tee shot is the start of an awesome time with THP'ers.

Absolutely. "Being nervous is a good thing, it means you care." Woods, Tiger

Yeah man, definitely I get nervous and anxious. In fact those nerves usually hang around for a few holes, but I don't let them take over me. I like feeling it, I like having that pressure and the added nerves, it makes it all the better when you still come through in the clutch. There's nothing quite like that feeling before you're about to hit your opening tee ball in a THP event, I love it!

I always have butterflies on the first tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely!!!

I've only played with a very sympathetic group of women, so I'm not nervous, just excited to be playing. I have no idea how I would react to THPers watching.

Do you get nervous on the first tee?

Only times I can remember being nervous on the first tee was the first club championship I played in two years ago (first ever competitive round) and the first time I ever played the ocean course at Kiawah (paired up with complete strangers and caddies who were all legit players haha).
My first and only THP event was last year at #staffproto and I don’t recall being overly nervous on the tee. I was a little nervous leading up to the first tee time, but we took pictures and then JB and some of the veteran THPers made some jokes that calmed me down for the actual shot. Also have to say that Rambler said something to calm me down right before as well when I told him I had butterflies.
The second day I only had one concern before hitting a shot and that took care of itself about 4 holes later hahaha

I do think that if I get into the Morgan cup though, I would get some butterflies after seeing all the posts and emotions coming around this event.

i was nervous for the first thp event i participated in. but after that, i haven't been nervous. whatever is going to happen is going to happen. i just try to embrace it, have fun, and laugh at myself if i do something stupid.

I've had 2 first tee shots in THP events so far. I've lost both of those balls left.

So, in short, yes (apparently).

I think what also helped me was that since a lot of us were hitting the new c300 woods, we couldn’t have live on the first tee. I could see that slightly being an issue/having an effect for a lot of people.

more overly excited than nervous, but the same effect :bulgy-eyes:

I used to get anxiety sickness. I'd puke anytime I got excited or worried about anything. I used to puke before I flew anywhere to do anything. I was fine once the plane lifted off, but for the few hours prior, I was a wreck. I've puked before playing golf with someone I was excited to play a round with. No celebrity or anything, just a guy from work that I knew was much better than I was at the time (this in my first year of playing). I've puked before all kinds of stuff. I used to puke before and after races when I ran track in high school. I puked probably 30 minutes before my first marathon. I puke before many of my races. It's mostly excitement. It's not like I have a chance of winning or anything so I can't exactly say I'm nervous.

I can imagine I'll get a little queasy the first time I tee it up with a large gathering of THPers, but we'll have to see when the time comes.

Its funny I normally hit a pretty good 1st tee shot and at Innsbrook I hit the 1st one right down the middle and really felt no pressure, but when I got up to the ball the only thought in my head was JB is behind us and I don't want to be slow since I know he likes to play fast and having the old guy hold up the round would not be good.

Took a few holes to realize his group was not going to catch us and I relaxed. It is strange the things that come into your head golfing, I know he could care less and was just out to have fun but it was in my head just the same.

I have been in three events with the THP Championship being the last and I can honestly say I was not nervous. I guess I have made an ass out of my self so many times before that I don’t worry about it anymore.

Yeah. First tee nerves are a real thing for sure. Especially in competitive event. I’m hoping to get into shaft up this year, I don’t think I’d have bad nerves there, not much pressure just a good time about to be had.

In the Morgan Cup, there would be nerves. It’d be ugly. Although, I have hit about the worst tee shot ever in an event (short of missing the ball entirely) so knowing how bad it can be, ie not all that bad, I think I’d be mostly ok.

Used to but have gotten over it the past few years

Not as much as I used to. But it depends on a lot of stuff. I think I wouldn't like a big golf event I didn't get nervous at. I hope I have some adrenaline going into my next THP event!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most nervous I’ve ever been was at a THP event. There is nothing like it with everyone watching. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not nervous but more anxious to go. I love playing so I'm looking forward to getting the round started and getting out there.

I don't really get nervous, or at least I don't let the nerves affect me.

Not as much as I used to, and only in THP events.

Back