Can anyone recommend a similar shaft to this.......

fufu

Reaction score
Handicap
Since FGI shutdown, I haven't found a place to post much. I'm hoping this community an help me out here.

I recently went to get fit for a new driver. I hadn’t touched a club since September. But, once I warmed up my contact was very solid.

Here is my current setup:

Cobra F6
Pro launch Red Stiff
Launch: 11.5-12*
SS: 103(low 99; high 105, usually climb nearer 108 by midsummer)
Spin: 2700
Carry: 238

I tried the Rogue, Epic, M3, M4, G400 and F8. I had the best balance of control and distance with the Rogue and Even Flow Blue in stiff. My numbers with this setup increased my carry to 245. Then, they put in a Tour AD IZ and my carry shot up as high as 259. I felt like I could step into that shaft more without losing control. My worst swing was 15 yards left, a pull that baby cut back.

Problem is they want $659 for that setup plus tax. I’m a weekend warrior. I’m not spending $700 for one club.

I went to the range yesterday and my eyes are telling me that I'm hitting the ball plenty high....am I confusing launch angle with apex height? My range has very mature ponderosa pines at the end of the hitting area. I'm hitting the ball WELL above them, like say 20 yards above them...

The main difference is I was launching it higher and not increasing my spin numbers. So can anyone recommend a shaft that will play similar to the Tour AD IZ?

i haven't played that shaft. the company markets it as having a stiffer butt, softer middle, and firmer tip.

i too enjoy higher launch and mid spin. some shafts i have really enjoyed are even flow blue, aldila tour blue, aldila rogue silver, ust mamiya vts silver, and project x t800. another option is hzrdus red. bang for your buck, the tour blue or vts silver might be a good place to start.

peak height is a function of several things where launch angle is just that. The numbers with your gamer won't result in a too high of a ball flight. A bit low honestly and the launch angle is too low.

caeleric is on the money with his suggestions. I was going to say tour blue, rogue silver as well as speeder 757
The funny thing is you can buy a wilson triton driver that has a rogue silver in it for $150 which might be cheaper than buying the shaft alone

peak height is a function of several things where launch angle is just that. The numbers with your gamer won't result in a too high of a ball flight. A bit low honestly and the launch angle is too low.

caeleric is on the money with his suggestions. I was going to say tour blue, rogue silver as well as speeder 757
The funny thing is you can buy a wilson triton driver that has a rogue silver in it for $150 which might be cheaper than buying the shaft alone

I hit the Rogue Silver in a G400 last year and was really impressed by the distance and accuracy. I appreciate the replies.

Should I be looking at carry or total?

http://www.soufflenheimgolfacademy....2014/01/TrackMan-Driver-Optimization_2011.pdf

I hit the Rogue Silver in a G400 last year and was really impressed by the distance and accuracy. I appreciate the replies.

https://www.soufflenheimgolfacademy...2014/01/TrackMan-Driver-Optimization_2011.pdf

Rogue Silver I/O is a shaft I have a lot of time with and absolutely love it. Reading up on the IZ, seems very similar in concept.

As for what you want to care about, that is up to you. Carry travels, total distance depends on the conditions of the course.

According to trackman optimization for carry, you will want to get a tad higher launch than your current setup but spin is pretty darn good. Tour Green, in that instance, is a great recommendation I also have a lot of time with.

Welcome to THP as well!

http://www.soufflenheimgolfacademy....2014/01/TrackMan-Driver-Optimization_2011.pdf

I personally look at carry as a good chunk of the golf season here is wet and I am always a bit skeptical of sim total numbers. That said I would never chase 1 or 2 yards extra carry if it costs me 7 yards total half the year. With driver I pick lines off the tee with carry but it is always good to know about how far you roll out.

I personally use flight scope optimizer as you can change the numbers around, that is how I got what your total apex should be with the numbers you gave.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Since FGI shutdown, I haven't found a place to post much. I'm hoping this community an help me out here.

I recently went to get fit for a new driver. I hadn’t touched a club since September. But, once I warmed up my contact was very solid.

Cobra F6
Pro launch Red Stiff

I tried the Rogue, Epic, M3, M4, G400 and F8. I had the best balance of control and distance with the Rogue and Even Flow Blue in stiff. My numbers with this setup increased my carry to 245. Then, they put in a Tour AD IZ and my carry shot up as high as 259. I felt like I could step into that shaft more without losing control. My worst swing was 15 yards left, a pull that baby cut back.

Problem is they want $659 for that setup plus tax. I’m a weekend warrior. I’m not spending $700 for one club.

I went to the range yesterday and my eyes are telling me that I'm hitting the ball plenty high....am I confusing launch angle with apex height? My range has very mature ponderosa pines at the end of the hitting area. I'm hitting the ball WELL above them, like say 20 yards above them...

The main difference is I was launching it higher and not increasing my spin numbers. So can anyone recommend a shaft that will play similar to the Tour AD IZ?

Look who is here. What's up Andrew!

I personally look at carry as a good chunk of the golf season here is wet and I am always a bit skeptical of sim total numbers. That said I would never chase 1 or 2 yards extra carry if it costs me 7 yards total half the year. With driver I pick lines off the tee with carry but it is always good to know about how far you roll out.

I personally use flight scope optimizer as you can change the numbers around, that is how I got what your total apex should be with the numbers you gave.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Ball speed is basically smash factor times ss?

Not sure how valid this is, but I have heard that Accra shafts are the "poor mans Tour AD." I know you can get some good deals on Accra shafts on eBay. Dymatch is one line that came out years ago so they can be had for a good bargain, but I gamed one (and still do occasionally) up until I got my Tour Z. I actually just recently purchased a limited edition (white) Dymatch 2.0 because I wanted one uncut since I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get them. Accra prides themselves on reducing spin while offering a penetrating mid ball flight without any ballooning. I truly do find that to be the case.

Other than that, find out the exact specs of the Tour AD you liked (flex, weight, torque, profile, ball flight, spin) and try to find a different brand/model that matches relatively closely. There is just no need to spend $400 on a shaft in my honest opinion. There are plenty of other options out there that would work for you for a fraction of the price.

What's the going rate for Triton heads? What's the going rate for pulled Rogue Silver shafts? :D

Not sure how valid this is, but I have heard that Accra shafts are the "poor mans Tour AD." I know you can get some good deals on Accra shafts on eBay. Dymatch is one line that came out years ago so they can be had for a good bargain, but I gamed one (and still do occasionally) up until I got my Tour Z. I actually just recently purchased a limited edition (white) Dymatch 2.0 because I wanted one uncut since I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get them. Accra prides themselves on reducing spin while offering a penetrating mid ball flight without any ballooning. I truly do find that to be the case.

Other than that, find out the exact specs of the Tour AD you liked (flex, weight, torque, profile, ball flight, spin) and try to find a different brand/model that matches relatively closely. There is just no need to spend $400 on a shaft in my honest opinion. There are plenty of other options out there that would work for you for a fraction of the price.

What's the going rate for Triton heads? What's the going rate for pulled Rogue Silver shafts? :D

i paid a ton of money for an accra cs1 after a fitting. it didn't last very long, and within a few months they were on the bay for a crazy deep discount. i have enjoyed testing some accra graphite iron shafts during fittings, but for what works well for my game there are far better options out there.

Look who is here. What's up Andrew!

Cobra F6
Pro launch Red Stiff

More FGI vets! Good to see a couple more here.

No clue on head and I imagine the market is a bit watered down on Rogue Silver pulls because of this so might not make a profit flipping them but pulling the silver for yourself will be cheaper than buying new. Almost positive Wilson doesn't tip the shafts so will be easy to just chop the adapter without worrying about ruining the shaft.

i paid a ton of money for an accra cs1 after a fitting. it didn't last very long, and within a few months they were on the bay for a crazy deep discount. i have enjoyed testing some accra graphite iron shafts during fittings, but for what works well for my game there are far better options out there.

I personally would not pay MSRP for a shaft to begin with (or any piece of golf equipment for that matter). Interesting to hear that you didn't like the CS1, but as with anything golf related, it all comes down to personal preference and swing characteristics which you'll never truly figure out unless you get fitted or are willing to tinker with multiple shafts before settling on one that works.

I prefer to tinker, because you can have the most properly fitted shaft for you game and still manage to hit less than 50% fairways.

i haven't played that shaft. the company markets it as having a stiffer butt, softer middle, and firmer tip.

i too enjoy higher launch and mid spin. some shafts i have really enjoyed are even flow blue, aldila tour blue, aldila rogue silver, ust mamiya vts silver, and project x t800. another option is hzrdus red. bang for your buck, the tour blue or vts silver might be a good place to start.

@c.a.eleric your advise is spot on. I bought a Titleist 917 on an impulse, it was a good deal, which came with a Daimana blue. Hitting it on a sim I really didn't like what I was seeing, ball flight was ok but carry was 20 - 25 yard short of my current gamer. Since my swing specs are very similar to fufu's I decided to give one of your recommendations a try. I found a aldila rouge silver with a titleist adaptor on ebay, under $75 to my door. I got to hit it on the same sim last night. What a difference, carry was improved with a nice subtle draw flight. Looks like the 917 might be staying in the bag. Its going to be in the 50s up here today and I'm hoping to get to an outdoor range to confirm what I was seeing on the sim. Trust is not a control. Next time I'm pondering shafts I'll consult with you! Thanks and have a great day.

@c.a.eleric your advise is spot on. I bought a Titleist 917 on an impulse, it was a good deal, which came with a Daimana blue. Hitting it on a sim I really didn't like what I was seeing, ball flight was ok but carry was 20 - 25 yard short of my current gamer. Since my swing specs are very similar to fufu's I decided to give one of your recommendations a try. I found a aldila rouge silver with a titleist adaptor on ebay, under $75 to my door. I got to hit it on the same sim last night. What a difference, carry was improved with a nice subtle draw flight. Looks like the 917 might be staying in the bag. Its going to be in the 50s up here today and I'm hoping to get to an outdoor range to confirm what I was seeing on the sim. Trust is not a control. Next time I'm pondering shafts I'll consult with you! Thanks and have a great day.

glad it’s working out for you! although i’m surprised you moved on from the triton. by all accounts that was a damn near perfect driver for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back