What is the normal age for decline in golf?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I know everyone is different, but I began wondering about what might be considered the normal age for a person where he/she has reached their peak in golf. By that I mean at what age does a person normally stop making progress in their game. I mention this, because in a couple of weeks I will be turning 69 years of age and I know that it's highly unlikely that my game will show any signs of improvement in my game. If anything, my experience reveals to me my game has already began to decline. I know there are a lot of things I can do to help my game like moving up to shorter tees which I have already begun to do.

So what would you think would be the normal age for a person to begin to show a decline in his game?

Golf can be played at a high level longer than most sports but IMO there is a decline in your golfing abilities sometime in your forties. The fact that only 3 gofers have won a major after turning 46 is proof of this.

My best days are likely behind me at age 52, but I do think I can maintain a plus index for at least another 5-10 years.

I agree with tahoe- mid forties and the decline starts but you can play at very high levels all the way thru your 70's. I know a few guys in their 70's that are still scratch players. They hit from the senior tees and that is perfectly OK. I will be 40 this year and would love to playing with my son and daughter in 40 years.

I imagine 40's it starts going downhill. If you can take extra care in eating ect then you can make it last longer but not much you can do about aging yet.

I really think that depends on how healthy a person can stay. I will turn 51 in a couple months and have played my best golf in the last 2 years. But, I also am starting to see the aches and pains associated with age and wear and tear on my body in the last year.
Was a bit of a vague answer to the question but I just think health plays a major roll in it.

I agree with tahoe- mid forties and the decline starts but you can play at very high levels all the way thru your 70's. I know a few guys in their 70's that are still scratch players. They hit from the senior tees and that is perfectly OK. I will be 40 this year and would love to playing with my son and daughter in 40 years.

A big part of it is you can’t practice for as long as you could when you were younger and your vision also declines making reading greens tougher. I’ve changed my swing the last couple years by incorporating a lot more hip turn on the backswing to take torque off of my spine. It has allowed me to practice longer without being sore or stiff the next day.

I think my best days are ahead of me. It was hard to compare last year to previous years because I was playing a longer and much tougher course than I had in the past. My putting has never been better.

I'm 61. According to my dad...I've got 14 years left. He said he experienced a noticeable decline around the age of 75. Should I live that long; I'll update the post.

Just turned 53 and would not say I have experienced decline yet. Of course, the equipment and balls keep getting better the older I get so I think that has helped delay some decline.

Something I learned when I was 2 is now paying off in my golf game: you can't fall off the floor. So for me, decline is theoretical.

I'm 61 for a few more days, I'm hitting the ball longer than ever, and I tied my PB last year (admittedly a low bar.) I find myself having to warm up more carefully and do more golf-related exercises.

Growing up, our next door neighbor was a steelworker like my dad, but he was an investor and a golfer. How I wish I had hung out more with him. When I was about 12, he had his picture in the sports pages for having just shot his fourth career ace. He was 82. My FIL's golfing days are almost certainly over, but when we played 18 last March, he played respectably well for him at 86. We had to pick up a few times for pace of play, but I can only hope to do as well if I'm playing at 86.

As an average, I think Tahoebum has got it about right. But it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Like 4Regal, I'm 61, play at a high level, and still have not seen a decline. Part of it is how well you take care of yourself. I train 2-3 days a week, practice 3 times a week and play 1-2 rounds carrying my bag. Nutrition is also very important. I play with guys in their late 20s to 40s all the time who ride in the cart all the time and consider golf their 'exercise'. They are amazed that I carry while they complain about bad knees, bad back, you name it.

For me, along with empty nest came the opportunity to practice and play golf more than earlier in my life. My short game and putting have become really good.

As an aside, I know a guy who plays to a 6 handicap playing courses at 6,200 - 6,500 yards and is in his mid-80s, who started playing golf in his late 60s. Talk about a late bloomer!

So yeah, the mid-40s seems about right as an average, but the range of possibilities is really wide.

Don't think there is a specific age but woukd be more do to the physical ability based in health/stamina vice just age. But if one plays the right tees the ability to still play to the similar level should remain. I see this with guys implaynwith on the weekends periodically. There group is usually between 9&12 golfers every weekend and of that more than half a replaying the wrong tees because they no longer hit the ball far enough off the tee and have to,hit hybrids and wood into every par 4. As a result their handicaps have all jumped up several strokes.

Think about 50, down 5yrs off irons

Glad to see some folks in the more seasoned years. At 59 I am having a lot of fun Driving the ball longer than ever, but Equipment is a lot of that IMO and a slight injury this week sidelined me where if I was younger would have been nothing.

If you can maintain your fitness you can play as long as you want, it is apparent right now in Florida as there are thousands of Golfers over 75 or 80 out on the Courses everyday from the Northern States.

Now if you are talking about a super low handicap I think you already were low you can stay lower into your 80's by moving up tee boxes. It just becomes a distance and as said eyesight issue.

I'll be 48 next month and I'm hitting it almost as long as I've ever have. Aches and pains last a little longer than when I was younger but that's about it. I work hard in the gym with strength and flexibility training. My Dad is 72 and we still play about 15 rounds a year together. He obviously lost some distance but his game is solid.

Id say probably mid 40s. What really hurts most people is that they begin to lose their flexility in their joints and especially their back, which kills their power. Im 37 now and I can certainly see how Ive lost flexibility and dont have the power that I once did.

The big issue no one has discussed is your vision. Not being able to see as well (cataracts, reading glasses, etc) makes putting a little more difficult.

I’m 58, and had my PB last year. I don’t hit it as far as I did at 45, but that’s okay. I still put some out there like I used to, not just every drive.

It especially seemed like my golf game started down hill once I turned 65. That was 4 years ago. It's nice to have other sports and hobbies to enjoy as well in the senior years. I have seriously looked into 4 person pickle ball matches and teams this year. Pickle ball will be something I can even do indoors in the winter. I also have come to enjoy the pistol range more and more. It's nice to have some recreational things you're able to do once sex is no longer an option due to age.

Also it depends on what you mean by decline. I was thinking when your game starts going away in a competitive situation. Like a city event where moving up tees isn't an option. Obviously if you can keep moving up you can still enjoy the game and golf your ball but your game has declined.

I would say it is person specific. For me I am 47 and drive the ball about the same distance I did at 25. The difference being back then the balls were balata and my driver was pretty heavy. So in reality I am shorter now. However I shoot a lower score by using much better course management and my short game is so much better.

What is the normal age for decline in golf?

I’ve played with a couple of low single figure players in their mid 60’s and early 70’s, so I would think it’s player specific.

#FiberLaunch

I think there are many variables to consider. What age did you start? How often did you play in "the beginning"? How good did you get? Do you play more now than you did in the years past?

For me, I started at 22 and I got to where I was shooting relatively predictably in the low-mid 80's when I was in my early 30's. Quit playing for 5ish years and picked it up again. Took me all spring/summer/autumn last year to shake the rust off again, but I shot a handful of 82's and many in the mid-upper 80's so I'm almost back to where I was. That being said, if I can maintain a decent amount of playing for the next few years, I think it's feasible to think I can get back to where I was and likely below. I'd love to get to the point where I can break 80 regularly even if not every round. I've only broken 80 twice in my life and I'd like to have a few more.

On the other hand, if someone didn't start playing until they were 50, then I'd guess they'd improve for a while before tapering back off.

Too many variables, I'd think for this to be a cut and dry answer.

Depends on the body. I'm 56 with health issues, but I still play well enough to have fun. I see LOTS of people in their 70's & 80's daily at our course and even a couple in their 90's still playing. I know a guy that is 81, still walks, carries his bag and shots below his age everyday. Anything is possible.

The big issue no one has discussed is your vision. Not being able to see as well (cataracts, reading glasses, etc) makes putting a little more difficult.

I’m 58, and had my PB last year. I don’t hit it as far as I did at 45, but that’s okay. I still put some out there like I used to, not just every drive.

For me, it's distance vision, which was never great due to congenital cataracts. And I tell my wife, "The closer I get, the better you look." I like to think losing distance as we age is God's accommodation for our failing vision. Not as far to track, and all that.

I would think that certain aspects of a senior's game could show improvement... especially the short game...sure, raw power might decline, but the finesse part of the game I would think can continuously be honed...at least I hope so...I started out as a lousy golfer, have stayed a lousy golfer...so I am hoping my short game skills improve. They can't get much worse...but I see my short game as the best chance for improvement.

Back