Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Nice, Jman!!! Guess it's time to go play on the uDesign site.

Will they do the colors in a matte finish?

Interesting...that would be cool to see.

Is the chevron still raised on the U-design, from the pic it just looks like paint.

Is the chevron still raised on the U-design, from the pic it just looks like paint.

It is not raised on the uDesign.

Will they do the colors in a matte finish?

The only uDesign matte option online is black. Not sure if you request another color what they would say

James, have you noticed a more metallic sound on the udesign head compared to the regular one? On my 816 the udesign is definitely more tingy, and the Matt finish more muted sound. Same shaft, same setting and same core position

James, have you noticed a more metallic sound on the udesign head compared to the regular one? On my 816 the udesign is definitely more tingy, and the Matt finish more muted sound. Same shaft, same setting and same core position

Just unwrapped it yesterday so I really can't say, hoped to get out in a tourney tomorrow but its been cancelled on account of rain. Might still try somewhere though.

Finally got my replacement GBB driver from Callaway to replace the one I had an issue with the sliding weight moving down the track. Heading to the range and course in a few hours for what will likely be my next to last round of the year due to the weather and courses shutting down. Hopefully this driver will work as designed.

Well good news and bad. Weight doens't seem to move this time which is good. Bad news is I just can't hit this club as well as my V Series driver. Guess this brand spanking new club is going to the back-up bag. Probably stay there until next year when a new driver is released and I can do the 50% plus trade-in. GBB=Fail for me.

Well good news and bad. Weight doens't seem to move this time which is good. Bad news is I just can't hit this club as well as my V Series driver. Guess this brand spanking new club is going to the back-up bag. Probably stay there until next year when a new driver is released and I can do the 50% plus trade-in. GBB=Fail for me.
That's too bad. Did you try multiple shafts before buying it? Based on many comments here and my own experience, you gotta have the right shaft (for you) in it.

So apparently the GBB with the Tour Green is going to be a weapon for me. I hit some real big tee shots today and that was with the cold and wind. The feel and sound is one thing, but the ball flight and carry distance is just unreal

Played the GBB with my trusty Kusala Blue, and for where I am right now, it was a very serviceable combination all day including some real nice ones. Only 8/14 fairways, but I fought the pulls in the middle of the round and only had one that put me in real trouble. Even hit one high off the toe on 18, and even that one went out there fine.

218828de74c26384595251fa7464ca39.jpg

I left the GBB family today. I just could never get the performance in regards to distance. I had a 90 day guarantee from Van's and ended up with a TM Aeroburner. After one range session I hit the ball further and more solid. And for $199, I still have over $250 credit to use on something else.

I freaking adore this combo. Best driver I have hit this year for me by a landslide.
Notice any sound difference from regular gbb head?

Not at all today
Interesting... both j4u and I noticed a difference between 816 dbd and 816 udesign... weirdness lol

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I need to give my driver the treatment at continental. Matte green might just work

I love this driver. Hits it on 8 tee shots and missed 3 fairways. At +1/n is a solid setup for me. Hit two just towards the heel and they barely moved off line and about 10 yds of distance loss from what I was seeing on solid contact.

When I remember to get a proper turn and not lose my spine angle I hit this better than any driver I have played.

I left the GBB family today. I just could never get the performance in regards to distance. I had a 90 day guarantee from Van's and ended up with a TM Aeroburner. After one range session I hit the ball further and more solid. And for $199, I still have over $250 credit to use on something else.

Won't argue with the numbers you are seeing between the GBB and Aeroburner, but that is extremely interesting to me. The GBB has been one of if not the longest driver I've ever come across, but it's forgiveness is unmatched in today's market IMO. So it's interesting you found better numbers with the Aeroburner, which I found average distance wise. Another example of why options are a good thing for everyone.

Hit this at DSG today. Had the stock shaft in it and I didn't have a ton of time to dedicate to it. Ball speed numbers were no better than my bio cell plus and neither was distance. Still want to hit Bobbys on course with the red tie shaft though.

Hit this at DSG today. Had the stock shaft in it and I didn't have a ton of time to dedicate to it. Ball speed numbers were no better than my bio cell plus and neither was distance. Still want to hit Bobbys on course with the red tie shaft though.
Did you experience better club head speed with the GBB vs your Bio+, sparks? I ask because I recently comared these two pretty thouroughly and while I really liked that the GBB gave me about 2mph more clubspeed, my ballspeed actually was 2mph less with GBB than my Cobra (or the R15 I was testing at the time). GBB retains ballspeed well, but doesn't generate much to begin with for me.

I really think you will like it, Lofting up was the key brother and really made the difference for me. With some adjustment these things are monsters.

Back