Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

First round in the books with these. My swing was off today. Had a case of the pulls but the forgiveness on these is good. Distance loss on non center hits was minimal. The feel for me is good. Not as soft as the z545s but close.

How would you compare the 545s to the apex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would you compare the 545s to the apex?

545s feel softer on center contact. Forgiveness on mishits is close with possibility the Apex is slightly more forgiving, will need more time with these to determine, I am playing tomorrow so will be be able to tell more about this. launch from the apex appears higher but in a good way.

After one round I don't have any complaints...only iron I haven't hit yet is the 4i.

Exciting times people getting to take these out for Inaugural spins on the course! Can't wait to hear the more detailed experiences out there, I just know it'll make me want these more and more!

Well I had some time to kill today in Austin, so after walking around UTs campus for an hour I went to Golfsmith instead of having some coeds give me a personalized tour

FIFY..

Got mine in hand this morning after a bit of a miscommunication yesterday at the PGA SS. They had them and did not know they had them, they claimed Callaway had not shipped them but had. (A call from Mr. Finley got things straightened out fast)
The interesting part was the PGA SS Master club builder after putting on the grips checked all the lies and lofts, 5 out of 7 were off slightly 1* either way one was 2* up, he said this is very common with all OEM's and he checks every new set that comes in prior to giving to the Customer and most are off slightly.

Not a big deal and most likely within tolerances at the build out place, but it is a good idea to have them checked just to be sure you don't start out with new sticks that are slightly off.
Hope to get out after lunch and hit the range or maybe play nine just to see how they feel.

9 in the books with the CF16 and I can say they are slightly more forgiving than the J15 DF and at this point about the same in distance.

It is really hard to miss a shot with this clubs, sure I put some not so confident swings on being new clubs but the results were very good. Put up a 42 on a Course I have played a lot about 3,200 yds. and hit a couple of smooth 5 irons 200-205 just dead straight. The real pleasure was the set AW, nice feel and easy 115-120 right where I needed it to be. I will most likely be ordering the set 4 iron next week and pulling the Heavenwood for that spot.

The big thing I noticed was the Shafts, going from the Steelfiber i95 in Reg to the Recoil 110 in Stiff is just very different, not really better or worst just different at this point. The loading is completely different which I guess is to be expected. Moving forward I think the Recoils will shine and the distances may increase a bit but that is really not what I was after buying these clubs, I hope to just hit some more greens with less effort.

Round two in the books with these. Played better on iron shots today than on Thur.

Feel didn't change for me from Thur to today. Solid feeling club and as stated earlier not as soft as the z545s but not far off. It was in the upper 50s most of the day and there were no harsh feelings in mishits.

distance was pretty close to what I was getting from the Srixons. I was a bout 1/2 club (5-6yds) shorter on shots today compared to the Srixons and that maybe due to weather and ball.

Contact today day other than a few bad swings was pretty good for me today and the ball still had the higher ball flight which I'm happy with and again other than some shots that came up just short into the wind there was no ill affects hitting into or with the wind.

These irons are very good and allow for good results on some slight mishits.

I did not really notice the ball flight being higher, but again not many shots yet to compare with. Got a full round tomorrow and the weather should be perfect, so a good test with a little of the regular gambling round pressure. Went ahead and just ordered the 4 iron off the Cally website, just need to have it and the GBB HW is going on the block.

Mine have just shipped and I think I may order the 4 Iron also. Was hoping to hear it may kick a hybrid or 2 from a few bags. Mine shipment hasn't updated since Friday night. Think with the weather in Texas. It may be held up a few days

After 18 today and some real nice shots and a couple stinkers, I am going to get to the range this week and work with the Recoils more. I may have overloaded my a$$ with the 110 in stiff, but they just load so entirely different than the Steelfibers it is going to take some time.

First round in the books and driver issues aside I enjoyed the maiden voyage with the CF16's. Hit a bunch of solid shots from 6 through AM that all exhibited the same quality - high and tight. The dispersion really shines with these irons with very little lateral movement. The height is great, ball drops and stops with limited roll out which when I'm working on a FIR will be a nice problem to have. No differences seen in distance but we had some heavy cool air today and some wind, on top of wet conditions, so I can't fairly judge distance. Having said that the trajectory and accuracy is far more important and first reviews give those 2 characteristics high marks. I'm headed to Florida and will be putting these into play all week so more feedback to follow.

Got on the range with these today. Started with the 8i to a 145 pin and after some alignment fixes the CF was all over it. Yes, that is my normal 8i distance. It's hard to compare these to the OG Apex because I really only got these so I could have the recoil shaft. At address, I didn't notice a difference until I got to the short irons which are a little smaller in profile than the OG Apex but maybe a bit larger than the XR pro. Overall a really good profile for my eye.

After that my swing kind of went bye bye and I am not sure why. So no comment on longer irons just yet.

Weather permitting I'll be on the course Saturday and am looking forward to results with better golf balls and honestly, more swing concentration on my part.

Just got my eta. Friday, ugh. We'll at least I can play them this weekend. Come on Friday.

Has anyone hit these in the Recoil 780 ES shafts? Or know anything about these shafts. I plan on going to local course and hit them on range.

Finally. Looking forward to your thoughts
Yeah, this is unusually long. They shipped Friday sat all weekend and then finally moved to Mesquite this afternoon. Hoping they get here Thursday. If not I won't be able to hit them until Sunday. I went with the XP95 in stiff as they where best performing of the shafts I was able to hit. XP105 where also good but not available in this head only the pro. I'm looking for the higher launch the XP gives.

Yeah, this is unusually long. They shipped Friday sat all weekend and then finally moved to Mesquite this afternoon. Hoping they get here Thursday. If not I won't be able to hit them until Sunday. I went with the XP95 in stiff as they where best performing of the shafts I was able to hit. XP105 where also good but not available in this head only the pro. I'm looking for the higher launch the XP gives.

Solid choice in shafts. I hit the 95 and 105 in some demos of other clubs. Hope you get them by thur

Just got my clubs last night...is it just me or the stock grips much thinner and not as tacky than old apex grips?...the heads do look bit smaller not sure if its an illusion or not....haven't hit them yet.

Just got my clubs last night...is it just me or the stock grips much thinner and not as tacky than old apex grips?...the heads do look bit smaller not sure if its an illusion or not....haven't hit them yet.
Stock should be UTx Black and I have them on all my clubs. I like them, did build them up a few wraps but I have large paws. I find them tackiness than the GP that were standard on the last Apex.

Short irons are a little smaller IMO

Played my 2nd round with them yesterday and they really remind me of the 2014 version in virtually all aspects except for dispersion. I find that these irons hold their line better then any iron I can recall hitting, that's an inspiring component especially when their is trouble between you and the green.

My initial thoughts on the sound are changed, well struck shots are solid but buttery if that makes any sense. That feel many of us want when we pure an iron - we know we hit it well but it has that softness that imparts a sense that you got that one.

Well, I played today with the CF16 and again struggled to really get anything consistent going. One out of 4 shots (anything from a AW to a 5 iron) would come off OK, not great and the others were just terrible. I am not patient with clubs and if in 4 rounds they still feel wrong that is it.

I got so pissed off I took them back to the PGA SS and gave them back, I just think it was a bad fit with the 110 S Recoils at +1" standard L/L.
I had the guy put the 7 iron on the SW scale and it was a D7.5 My previous Bridgestone clubs are D0, way too big a change and I really do not pay much attention to SW, but I just could not get these to act right. It is certainly not the CF16 clubhead, if I got the head on the ball it was pretty reliable, but wanted to go right unless I really turned it over which I believe was from the extra length and standard lie (toe digging).

Reordered the APEX pros 4-AW with 95 recoils at +.50" round two coming up

Well, I played today with the CF16 and again struggled to really get anything consistent going. One out of 4 shots (anything from a AW to a 5 iron) would come off OK, not great and the others were just terrible. I am not patient with clubs and if in 4 rounds they still feel wrong that is it.

I got so pissed off I took them back to the PGA SS and gave them back, I just think it was a bad fit with the 110 S Recoils at +1" standard L/L.
I had the guy put the 7 iron on the SW scale and it was a D7.5 My previous Bridgestone clubs are D0, way too big a change and I really do not pay much attention to SW, but I just could not get these to act right. It is certainly not the CF16 clubhead, if I got the head on the ball it was pretty reliable, but wanted to go right unless I really turned it over which I believe was from the extra length and standard lie (toe digging).

Reordered the APEX pros 4-AW with 95 recoils at +.50" round two coming up

Yikes. Were you fit to those?

By a master fitter......now I admit I had a terrible day at the fitting and he got me hitting pretty good shots, but the fitting club was a 110 recoil at standard length with a standard grip. going to +1" and GPMCC+4 midsize grips and bam D7.5 SW they were for a younger man than I

By a master fitter......now I admit I had a terrible day at the fitting and he got me hitting pretty good shots, but the fitting club was a 110 recoil at standard length with a standard grip. going to +1" and GPMCC+4 midsize grips and bam D7.5 SW they were for a younger man than I

If you were fit with standard length and it seemed to be working, why order +1"?

Back