TM TP5 golf ball comparison

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so I'm thinking of picking up some TP5's. Not the X, just the TP5. Wondering if anyone here has played it enough to review it and compare it. I'd like to hear a comparison to either Nike RZN Black, Nike RZN Platinum, Callaway Chromesoft, and/or Titleist ProV1/V1x.

Ok, so I'm thinking of picking up some TP5's. Not the X, just the TP5. Wondering if anyone here has played it enough to review it and compare it. I'd like to hear a comparison to either Nike RZN Black, Nike RZN Platinum, Callaway Chromesoft, and/or Titleist ProV1/V1x.

Plays softer than all those balls accept the ChromeSoft. Spins similar to the ChromeSoft off wedges about the same as teh ProV1, spins off driver same as ChromeSoft, Has very little spin off irons. (More than X though).

Ball was good, I have like 4 dozen sitting around I eventually need to sale. Not because the ball wasn't good, probably the best ball on the market, but just because I decided to play Vice/Snell this year.

Plays softer than all those balls accept the ChromeSoft. Spins similar to the ChromeSoft off wedges about the same as teh ProV1, spins off driver same as ChromeSoft, Has very little spin off irons. (More than X though).

Ball was good, I have like 4 dozen sitting around I eventually need to sale. Not because the ball wasn't good, probably the best ball on the market, but just because I decided to play Vice/Snell this year.

Spin similar to the CS doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. The CS spins a little more than I like. Spun a 9i back off a green last time I hit one. I liked the RZN Black because it spins enough, but not too much. I might be interested in buying one dozen from you, though, if you wanna quote me a price shipped to 73013.

Curious if it's the best ball on the market what made u shy away to snell and vice?

Curious if it's the best ball on the market what made u shy away to snell and vice?

Just wanted to support the direct sale ball market. I feel golf balls shouldn't cross the $25 a dozen price point. I'm also just into supporting the underdog for 2018, the more companies that stay in the golf market the more competition will drive innovation.

Tp5 has a compression of 83 iirc. Compared to prov1 and 1x which are pretty much the only balls I play it was softer than those. It performed as god as glthey did for me but I think I prefer the tp5x which iirc is 90

That sounds good, emart. What did you think of the spin off wedges and short irons?

FWIW, my perfect ball would be: soft off the putter (for some reason the CS though soft feels very hot off the putter to me almost as if it jumps off the putter), mid-spin off the wedges and short irons (enough to check up, but I can't stand to spin it back 5-10 yards because I'm not consistent enough to rely on it), low-mid spin off the driver.

Is there even such an animal out there?

From a purely performance perspective, I preferred the TP5X to any of the balls you mentioned except the Nikes since I never played those. My issue with it was the durability and since I don't get paid to play this game, it wasn't realistic for me to keep dropping cash on golf balls. The ball felt great off every club and really shined around the green. I spent more time with the TP5X, but I think both are very, very good golf balls.

That sounds good, emart. What did you think of the spin off wedges and short irons?

FWIW, my perfect ball would be: soft off the putter (for some reason the CS though soft feels very hot off the putter to me almost as if it jumps off the putter), mid-spin off the wedges and short irons (enough to check up, but I can't stand to spin it back 5-10 yards because I'm not consistent enough to rely on it), low-mid spin off the driver.

t

The W/S Duo U and FG Tour come to mind.

I had very similar performance with both version of the tp ball compared to the v1. Iirc the v1x spun more. I definitely didn’t see any spin back on normal shots and on shots where I would have expected some with partial wedges it wasn’t anything drastic

It’s been awhile since I played anything other than v1/1x in non cool temps so can’t really give any options but I have found many of the tour level balls to be pretty close to each other. Prior to my move back to titleist I was playing Bridgestone b330-rx abd rxs. Both are somewhat soft of the putter and have in my testing on launch monitors spin numbers off driver with them, tp5 balls and titleist were all within a few hundred rpm

For me the TP5 seemed to spin a bit less then the Chrome Soft. Distance wise the two balls were very similar but I preferred the feel of the TP5 off the putter.

Ok, so, a THPer who shall remain nameless unless he IDs himself offered to send me out 6 TM TP5 balls to try out! I cannot thank him enough. I'm sincerely thankful that he was willing to do it. I really didn't wanna drop the $ on a few dozen to try them out to find out I didn't like them, I had no plans to buy a dozen new and not like them, so I was glad he offered.

Anyway, as for my feelings, I think after two rounds, I'm gonna be happy with this ball. I haven't been striking the ball great recently. I'm trying out graphite iron shafts for the first time so I'm a little off, but when I put a good swing on it, I can tell the ball is behaving the way I had hoped. I hit a nice 8i into a par 3 on Thursday and the ball did not spin too much. It probably stopped within a couple feel if I recall. My short game isn't cooperating right now, but I'm sure that's not the ball's fault. I played 2 balls for two rounds and they're still both in pretty good shape. One has a crease (not cut) in it, but I'm sure that's where I skulled a pitch at some point.

Looking forward to putting a few more rounds in with them before I bite the bullet and order up a bucket of 96 from lostgolfballs.com, but I think it's on the horizon.

Since he was kind enough to pay forward some balls for me to try, I'm gonna look around to see what I can find to pay forward. Do we have a "Pay it forward" thread here or should I start one?

Back