2018 Volvik Vivid Soft & Vivid Lite

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Saw these mentioned at the PGA Show and finally found some info on the Volvik site.

Volvik Expands its Vivid Matte Finish Product Line

ORLANDO, Florida (January 22, 2018) – Volvik announced today that it is expanding its best-selling Vivid matte finish golf ball product line with two new golf balls. Vivid Soft and Vivid Lite will be added to Vivid and Vivid XT, making the Vivid product line the largest selection of matte finish golf balls, with the ability to fit every type of player.
Vivid Soft and Vivid Lite will be on display at the 2018 PGA Show January 24-26 in booth #717. Volvik has expanded its booth space this year to accommodate increased traffic due to the largest sales growth the company has ever seen.
“Expanding the Vivid product line allows golfers of every skill level and every swing type to have a choice of matte finish golf balls that will fit their specific style of play,” said Dan Pady, director of sales and marketing for Volvik USA. “Volvik is the leader in matte finish technology and performance, and no other company has as wide a selection of matte finish golf balls as Volvik does.”

The highly anticipated new Vivid Soft is Volvik’s first Urethane ball with matte finish. Volvik’s new VU-X Urethane cover is more durable, and provides a very soft feel with a low compression of 65. When combined with Volvik’s patented SF matte coating, it creates a tour-quality matte finish golf ball with high wedge spin and low driver spin. Besides adding high visibility, Volvik’s patented SF matte coating increases the ball’s performance by producing aerodynamic consistency and higher trajectory.

Vivid Lite
is the fourth matte finish golf ball in the Vivid product line, and is targeted to mid- to high-handicap golfers who need a ball which optimizes trajectory, but still offers great distance and soft feel.

Don Shin, president of Volvik USA, added, “Ten percent of our company’s employees at our headquarters in Korea are in research and development, so Volvik is able to continue to bring innovative and unique high-performance products to market that help all golfers speed up the game, play better and have more fun.”
Vivid Lite will retail for $32.99 per dozen and Vivid Soft will retail for $42.99 per dozen when they launch in early March, with pre-book orders available at the PGA Merchandise Show.

The Vivid Soft sounds a lot like the Vice Pro Soft assuming its a 3pc like the Vice ball. Similar compression and matte urethane.

The Vivid Lite is an interesting offering. If this is a 2pc ball it's overpriced, if its a 3pc ball then how does it differ from the normal Vivid other than it might launch higher.. Lower compression?

If I could commit to one ball, the current Volvik would almost fit the bill. I've always thought that if the Volvik would spin a little more greenside, it'd be perfect. I'll certainly give the Volvik Soft a try because it sounds like what I think the current Volvik needs.

I'll try the Vivid Soft.

Anyone try the Vivid Soft matte urethane ball yet? Feedback?

Carl's has Pink and White only for $34.00 shipped.
The only thing I would say about white matted golf balls is I played the Vivid XT in White and there got so dirty so fast the ball started to look gray.
Don't know if this being urethane whether that changes that. Almost worth a flyer at $34.00

Found sleeves for $12 on eBay so I’m going that route before committing.

Had a chance to try both the Vivid Soft (yellow) and Vivid XT (white) out Friday. Thanks to fellow THP'er MarkM for sharing the sleeve with me to try out of the XT's !!

30e0ef767e948eb68da4b992f0266b51.jpg

8401940223bb3668378a90449ea86220.jpg

1c58eab002d3fd066610dd499b0b81d5.jpg

I thought the XT being 4pc and over 100 compression would feel like a rock but it didn't. Both seemed equally as long off the tee box when hit side by side. Neither seemed to really fly higher or lower for me. Also hit the Vivid Soft against the Chrome Soft and they went the same distance essentially. The yellow on the Soft is right up my alley given I like a yellow/green ball. The glows and I put it up there with the Vice Pro Soft lime as my favorite looking ball ever.

The XT even though $40+ is not urethane. Says its Zirconium whatever the heck that is. It doesn't feel as grabby as the urethane matte cover of the Soft so I would assume the Soft if you did a spin test would say it had more spin but probably not by much. I just don't think they can make the matte finishes soft enough to grab like a normal soft urethane covered ball. But that is just my take on it. They both seemed to stop quickly on approaches though. No major rollout there and definitely quicker to stop than the normal Vivid.

Both were very controllable on chips and did have a nice grab to them even though I am not a high spin wedge player. Even chipped one in with the Vivid Soft.

The alignment aid for putting was such that it did not require me to draw my normal line on the ball. Matter of fact the XT's alignment aid extends entirely around the ball which is neat.

The kicker with these matte balls is how quickly they show the dirt. Now granted it was a soggier course which always causes dirty balls (insert Beavis and Butthead laugh) but after every shot the white on the XT looked dingy and kinda drove me nuts. The yellow on the Soft was no different. At least when I switched to the Chrome Soft TruVis on the back nine I never felt the need to constantly wipe that one down.

So while they look great, for OH weather they would drive you insane if you like a clean and not dirty looking ball. Because of that, it would probably be a deal breaker...well and their price too. Neither is cheap and you rarely see a sale on Volvik balls. I remember now my issue with the Vice matte urethane ball and that was how quickly it showed the dirt. I'll give these more run since I have a sleeve of each but doubtful I would spend the premium on these.

Back