List of Forged Wedges

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
What brands and models out there are forged? It seems most sites don't talk about whether their wedges are forged or cast.

What brands and models out there are forged? It seems most sites don't talk about whether their wedges are forged or cast.

Mack Daddy Forged obviously. I think Mizuno T7s are forged. Maybe Miura?

Mack Daddy Forged obviously. I think Mizuno T7s are forged. Maybe Miura?

PXG too no?

Surprised that there aren't that many out there, and that the majority of the options are cast. Is there a reason that many are not, other than cost?

I looked at New Level and they are offering some forged wedges as well.

Last edited:
All models of Mizuno wedges that I can recall were forged. The ones in my signature are really good and can be found for a great price.

I think that Vokey makes some JDM wedges that are forged.

PXG too no?

Surprised that there aren't that many out there, and that the majority of the options are cast. Is there a reason that many are not, other than cost?

I looked at Next Level and they are offering some forged wedges as well.

Not sure on PDX. I'm sure some of the more technical folks could speak to why, but I wouldn't be surprised if cost was a factor.

All models of Mizuno wedges that I can recall were forged. The ones in my signature are really good and can be found for a great price.

Other than the JPX. The JPX ones were cast.

PXG too no?

I looked at New Level and they are offering some forged wedges as well.

Cost and because they are more labor intensive. With cast, all you do is pour the molten metal into a mold. With cast, it starts out as a billet and with various air hammer presses you work it into the final shape that you want.
[video=youtube;O9rVM4-QwiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9rVM4-QwiY[/video]

PXG wedges are forged. I tried a couple of them and they had a great feel, but was not ready to put up $350 for each wedge.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/wedges

5 hours(there abouts) on an expensive cnc machine tends to run up the cost. (add me to the list of not paying $350 for a single wedge no matter how good they feel)

The vast majority of wedges played on Tour and by most amatuer golfers are cast, and it’s been that way for a couple decades or longer.

The ultimate “feel” club, the putter, is almost always cast as well.

Here’s a quote from Bob Renegar who was head of R&D for Hogan Golf for many years.

“Tour players use cast playability clubs and forged blades alike, but they keep it on the center of the clubface with great regularity. For many better players (probably no worse than single-digit handicap), a good forged iron will provide them sufficient playability. Higher handicappers (and better players too) will benefit from the improved accuracy and modern technology of investment cast clubs - producing lower scores with their greater design latitude when the inevitable human error is introduced.

Playability clubs are generally good medicine for the eternal optimism that keeps us playing golf. But, let’s keep them in perspective. The differences in shot dispersion performance (accuracy) for off-center hits between a good contemporary forged blade design and a high MOI multi-material club are similar to the contrast in sizes between your den and your smallest bedroom.

This, of course, also greatly depends upon how far off-center the measured impacts occur, but the performance differences are maybe not as much as you might think. These tighter shot dispersion patterns will, however, translate into more greens hit and shorter putts and ultimately lower scores at the golf course.

So, how consistently you can keep impact near the center of the clubface matters greatly for influencing what your club head design choices should be.”

Last edited:
I don't think forged is a big deal - it depends on the feel to you. Having said that, I've played mostly Miura the last 2.5 yrs.

PXG (not many grind options)
Mizuno (always feel soft but they either have too little bounce or too much bounce for me)
Miura (have a new milled line coming) A very solid, dense feel - like 'em. See my signature line
Epon - nice wedges but haven't demoed them for 10 yrs.
Edel Forged (but most buy the cast model)

Cost and because they are more labor intensive. With cast, all you do is pour the molten metal into a mold. With FORGED, it starts out as a billet and with various air hammer presses you work it into the final shape that you want.
[video=youtube;O9rVM4-QwiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9rVM4-QwiY[/video]

FIFY...

Ben Hogan TK15 wedges are forged. They are very affordable and IMO the best performing wedges on the market.

Ben Hogan TK15 wedges are forged. They are very affordable and IMO the best performing wedges on the market.

IOW, they fit you well.

Good, fit wedges are tough to find.

The vast majority of wedges played on Tour and by most amatuer golfers are cast, and it’s been that way for a couple decades or longer.

The ultimate “feel” club, the putter, is almost always cast as well.

Here’s a quote from Bob Renegar who was head of R&D for Hogan Golf for many years.

“Tour players use cast playability clubs and forged blades alike, but they keep it on the center of the clubface with great regularity. For many better players (probably no worse than single-digit handicap), a good forged iron will provide them sufficient playability. Higher handicappers (and better players too) will benefit from the improved accuracy and modern technology of investment cast clubs - producing lower scores with their greater design latitude when the inevitable human error is introduced.

Playability clubs are generally good medicine for the eternal optimism that keeps us playing golf. But, let’s keep them in perspective. The differences in shot dispersion performance (accuracy) for off-center hits between a good contemporary forged blade design and a high MOI multi-material club are similar to the contrast in sizes between your den and your smallest bedroom.

This, of course, also greatly depends upon how far off-center the measured impacts occur, but the performance differences are maybe not as much as you might think. These tighter shot dispersion patterns will, however, translate into more greens hit and shorter putts and ultimately lower scores at the golf course.

So, how consistently you can keep impact near the center of the clubface matters greatly for influencing what your club head design choices should be.”

To him I would say what about forged cavity backs? They give you the soft feel of forged clubs with the forgiveness of any cast shovel. I always found it funny that those who say forged doesnt matter and high caps shouldnt be playing them always like to compare blade to cast cavity backs.

Back