Biomechanics in golf

As I said, I would like to learn about human body work and limitations in its work. TGM is vastly deprived of biomechanical knowledge, it gives physical possibilities only (some of them are also omitted either on purpose or because of lack of knowledge). Mac wanted to put the spirit of biomechanics into it but due to his unwillingness to publish those of us who base their knowledge on TGM are still clueless. Besides, even as a MORAD fan I cannot be sure Mac's wisdom is flawless. By the way, Essentials and Imperatives are just Homer's very general recommendations that he believed as 100% correct, very far away from biomechanical realm.

Unsure whether you will find much detail on limitations of human anatomy in relation to golf , apart from the general workings of the facet joints in the spine , which muscles are used to help pivot the pelvis , the role of shoulder girdle muscles , leg and hip extensor muscles, larger muscle groups used for stabilisation. From what I've read so far , the subconscious act of doing a task using external focus engages a whole array of muscles unique in their involvement (ie. timing of isotonic/isometric contractions) which will be a specific pattern for each and every golfer. When you consciously try to implement 'theoretically correct' moves in a golf swing , the subconscious cannot automatically activate the required range of muscles to complete that intended task (your kinetic sequence will be 'out of whack').

Unless you have a method of monitoring every single muscle in the human body for a high test sample of pga pro golfers (to find detailed correlations) , it will end up as a very 'high level summary' of the biomechanics involved in a golf swing (ie. like Ralph Mann's book - 'Swing Like A Pro' ).

Have you ever looked at the You-Tube videos made by EA Tischler and Mike Adams (or read any of their books)? They have been delving in biomechanical patterns (ie. limitations in body movements) , creating tests to figure out which pattern might fit specific golfers.

I have EA Tischler's book ' Secrets Of Owning Your Swing' which defines a range of biomechanical movement patterns that affect 'Accuracy', 'Power' and 'Good Feel' in the golf swing and might be worth investigating further (if you are interested).

Here is his website

https://newhorizonsgolf.com

Then check out the sub topic categories:

Developing Your Fundamentals
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/Stage-One.html

Developing Your Technique
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/Stage-Two.html

Developing Your Biomechanics
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/Stage-Three.html

Then check out the sub-categories for the Stage-Three link above:
Accuracy
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/P3G-Accuracy.html

Power
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/P3G-Power.html

Good Feel
https://newhorizonsgolf.com/P3G-GoodFeel.html

Its a lot to digest but is probably as close as one is going to get in applying biomechanical theories (in a practical way) to assist golfers find their own unique swing patterns.

PS. The above only relate to 'SWINGING' . Ed Tischler hasn't had time to create articles that address 'Accuracy/Power/Good Feel' for the other 2 categories of 'HITTING' and 'THROWING'.

Last edited:
My question is, with outstanding knowledge of biomechanics, what would you do with it? How does it help you swing a golf club?

Totally agree. Paralysis by analysis. Keeping my brain clutter free on the course is one of the reasons I play well. If I studied all of this golf swing biomechanics stuff, I’d bet my index goes the wrong way.

Totally agree. Paralysis by analysis. Keeping my brain clutter free on the course is one of the reasons I play well. If I studied all of this golf swing biomechanics stuff, I’d bet my index goes the wrong way.

I'm in total and utter agreement that you shouldn't be thinking about biomechanics during a golf swing (I don't but I really like studying what is happening in a golf swing).

I tried implementing Tom Tomasello's swing instruction about 3 years ago (right arm swinging technique according to TGM spiel) which was all to do with body positions and internal focus. I actually hit my best score ever and then the next game I couldn't hit a ball, my mind become hooked on internal focus body part movements as if that was all I needed to automatically hit the ball. The club felt completely alien to me and I started getting really anxious and stressed out so I reverted to just doing 'perpetual motion' swings, throwing the club to a target and things started to improve during the round.

But I couldn't understand why I hit that best score and still don't to this day. It could be that I was so lead arm dominant in previous years , that suddenly making the right arm dominant balanced out the kinetic sequencing of my swing . Then when I continued practicing this right arm swing technique even more , the right arm became overly dominant and I lost sense of what my lead arm should be doing. The kinetic sequencing of my swing went completely out of whack and I didn't know where to start fixing it (imho, no-one can say they are 100% certain about cause and effect in a golf swing) so I defaulted back to my 'Shawn Clement ' swing and haven't looked back since.

I am not looking to think about biomechanics stuff to help me swing my clubs (although it might help when you know a thing or two), I simply want to be a good teacher. It is silly to think that it won't help in this matter.

Unsure whether you will find much detail on limitations of human anatomy in relation to golf , apart from the general workings of the facet joints in the spine , which muscles are used to help pivot the pelvis , the role of shoulder girdle muscles , leg and hip extensor muscles, larger muscle groups used for stabilisation. From what I've read so far , the subconscious act of doing a task using external focus engages a whole array of muscles unique in their involvement (ie. timing of isotonic/isometric contractions) which will be a specific pattern for each and every golfer. When you consciously try to implement 'theoretically correct' moves in a golf swing , the subconscious cannot automatically activate the required range of muscles to complete that intended task (your kinetic sequence will be 'out of whack').

I am also not sure, but trying to find such.

Unless you have a method of monitoring every single muscle in the human body for a high test sample of pga pro golfers (to find detailed correlations) , it will end up as a very 'high level summary' of the biomechanics involved in a golf swing (ie. like Ralph Mann's book - 'Swing Like A Pro' ).

No, I rather would concentrate on joints. A colleague from WRX forum (who was a Mac protege for a while) told me that MORAD is very big on joints.

Back