THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

How about I don't shovel at all! Hence the need for a snow blower. My boys (slaves) are all back at college ... so I'm stuck doing it all. Not happening

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Neighbor behind me has a high end one so he's alway itching to use it. He'll pretty much do the common sidewalk almost to the front of my house. I just pay his kindness in beer :)

I was thinking back to some of the matches I played this past year both singles and partner. No one wants to lose and most don't like to but with golf and even with hdcp in play a match can be a runaway or a close one. I had a singles match against a buddy of mine and we are pr both around the same cap. I won the match after 13. He didn't win any hole and made some putts to halve a couple that I was almost ready to count as a win. He played well and just had a few holes ge pt away from him where he 3 putted for bogey and lost the hole to par otherwise we would have e had a lot closer match. I've played with him and against him in some partner matches that have been close matches or we have had presses with 3 different Mathew going on at the same time and two of those pressed matches have been close. Had one match that me and my partner were out of it heading into 13 and needed to play well to try and hold off for a couple more holes and needed up losing two holes later.

i was thinking back to those and noticed I wasn't more excited winning a match early than if I won late and vice versa when losing I wasn't more disappointed either way. I know in other sports I played I preferred getting blown out rather than losing by a run or a point late in the game.

For you guys does a win or loss either big or close affect you more than the other?

Win, Lose, no matter ... (in my best Mr. Miyagi voice)

If I win by a nose, 1 stoke or blowout ... doesn't really affect me in the slightest. Now if I won or lost because I didn't play well ... that's a different story. I don't want to win because the other guy didn't put forth the effort and just gave up after a while. Plus I don't want to lose because I made stupid mistakes or just played lousy. It happens I know, but I want to be playing on all cylinders at all times. I want someone to beat me outright and not me give it to them without a challenge. It would be ideal if every match came down to the 18th for the win for either of us but that's not always the case.

I hate getting blown out. In any sport. I don't mind loosing, but I DO want to compete.

Hey has anyone else noticed this? NY/NJ vs New England thread started on 11/20 and have 101 pages, 1511 posts. Our DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas thread started on 12/27 and we have 157 pages, 2354 posts!

Who says we don't have participation?? :banana:

Win, Lose, no matter ... (in my best Mr. Miyagi voice)

If I win by a nose, 1 stoke or blowout ... doesn't really affect me in the slightest. Now if I won or lost because I didn't play well ... that's a different story. I don't want to win because the other guy didn't put forth the effort and just gave up after a while. Plus I don't want to lose because I made stupid mistakes or just played lousy. It happens I know, but I want to be playing on all cylinders at all times. I want someone to beat me outright and not me give it to them without a challenge. It would be ideal if every match came down to the 18th for the win for either of us but that's not always the case.

Golfinnut - you don't have a choice, I think, if the guy you are playing with doesn't put forth the effort. That's on him and you don't have any control of that. I guess the corollary question to this is, if they guy or gal you are playing is really under-matched for you, do you let up knowing that he doesn't have a chance at all or do you do go TW on him/her and crush him/her to win 8 & 7 ? I guess where does sportsmanship begin in this situation ?

Neighbor behind me has a high end one so he's alway itching to use it. He'll pretty much do the common sidewalk almost to the front of my house. I just pay his kindness in beer :)

Send him up to Edgewood?!!

Golfinnut - you don't have a choice, I think, if the guy you are playing with doesn't put forth the effort. That's on him and you don't have any control of that. I guess the corollary question to this is, if they guy or gal you are playing is really under-matched for you, do you let up knowing that he doesn't have a chance at all or do you do go TW on him/her and crush him/her to win 8 & 7 ? I guess where does sportsmanship begin in this situation ?

You are right about that. That's why it's the Captains jobs (both sides) to put together guys of equal ability. Handicap or not.

I was thinking back to some of the matches I played this past year both singles and partner. No one wants to lose and most don't like to but with golf and even with hdcp in play a match can be a runaway or a close one. I had a singles match against a buddy of mine and we are pr both around the same cap. I won the match after 13. He didn't win any hole and made some putts to halve a couple that I was almost ready to count as a win. He played well and just had a few holes ge pt away from him where he 3 putted for bogey and lost the hole to par otherwise we would have e had a lot closer match. I've played with him and against him in some partner matches that have been close matches or we have had presses with 3 different Mathew going on at the same time and two of those pressed matches have been close. Had one match that me and my partner were out of it heading into 13 and needed to play well to try and hold off for a couple more holes and needed up losing two holes later.

i was thinking back to those and noticed I wasn't more excited winning a match early than if I won late and vice versa when losing I wasn't more disappointed either way. I know in other sports I played I preferred getting blown out rather than losing by a run or a point late in the game.

For you guys does a win or loss either big or close affect you more than the other?

I think winning late helps you get used to the self imposed tension but I would rather win early and enjoy the experience. Doesn't seem to happen very often though!!!

Do them the Russian way! Don't let anyone tell you "American form is better"... it's not! :D

LOVE kettlebells - just have to make sure to use the right form with them!

Hey has anyone else noticed this? NY/NJ vs New England thread started on 11/20 and have 101 pages, 1511 posts. Our DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas thread started on 12/27 and we have 157 pages, 2354 posts!

Maybe we're just short on ears and long on mouth. :alien:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emart2173, to answer your question. it depends on a big loss, if it's the result of me playing like doo doo then yeah, it will bother me. If it's becasue the other side just played great, then credit to them, well done.

If I lose a close one, it's only natural to look back on a stroke or two that could have changed things, but if you're objective about it, there's almost always a break or two that went your way as well, that could have gone the other. So those don't bother me as much.

Emart2173, to answer your question. it depends on a big loss, if it's the result of me playing like doo doo then yeah, it will bother me. If it's becasue the other side just played great, then credit to them, well done.

If I lose a close one, it's only natural to look back on a stroke or two that could have changed things, but if you're objective about it, there's almost always a break or two that went your way as well, that could have gone the other. So those don't bother me as much.

i think breaks have a part to do with both a big win or a close one. I was focusing on the singles match against my buddy and while I couldn't remember scores on each hole I could look back at the round and somewhat play it out in my head and a couple conversations we had and it really came down to breaks going my way that led to a win after 13. He 3 putted 3-4 holes that either halved or lost a hole for him. I had a couple tee shots that were close to being lost/ob and ended up in play and one of them executed a good recovery shot to save par.

On the way to 13 he asked if he won a hole and having just looked at the scorecard responded quickly with a no. He laughed and said that will change on 13 par3 and I hit the green and got a good kick and he pulled one left and ended up with no shot. I ends up shooting 80 and he shot low 80s.

I have one more for you guys. If NOT picked for the event how will that change the way you practice/approach getting better?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm sure it will affect me for a few days, but there are many other great events on the THP calendar that look amazing. Plus, I can certainly help others in the area that do get selected in their preparation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't think it matters really. This isn't a contest of who's got the biggest junk. Each region is different, and is being done a little differently. Ron and I are both excited to see the enthusiasm around this event, and seeing the increase in activity throughout THP. But it's no contest.

Remember people in glass houses probably shouldn't throw stones..

Even with all this bad weather approaching, I'm excited about this event. I can't wait for spring so I can put some serious work in towards getting my game in shape. It's going to be a blast if selected, meeting everyone, playing in a team event and bringing home the win for team Carolinas! And that's not even factoring in the chance at MVP and all that goes with it. I think my wife is going to be sick of hearing about this before too long!

I've read a lot of post that talk about getting the your game ready for possibly being selected.

Couple thoughts on that.

1. Work on your games to just get better, I understand that this gives you a reason to stay focused. But do it for you.

2. If not selected there are other Team events coming too. The Cup, the Wilson Staff event, and that little thing called the Grandaddy! Those all should be on the radars of all the hopefuls. And if you wait to be selected for those, then you're starting way to late to make significant progress.

1. Work on your games to just get better, I understand that this gives you a reason to stay focused. But do it for you.

2. If not selected there are other Team events coming too. The Cup, the Wilson Staff event, and that little thing called the Grandaddy! Those all should be on the radars of all the hopefuls. And if you wait to be selected for those, then you're starting way to late to make significant progress.

Yep, that's all I'm doing. As I said before, I'm trying to get my game back to where I want it to be. If I make the RR team, that's just icing on the cake! I won't be disappointed if I don't make the team because I'll be reviewing the other THP Team events and will be throwing my hat in the ring for the ones that will work best for my schedule.

I was heading to Massanutten. I usually go skiing twice a year there and go up a few times in the summer. Now my wife just texted me, she changed her mind so now the trip looks like it's on again, lol.... I need a beer and some putting practice to calm the nerves...

Yeah, uhm...yet another change in my wife's mind. No skiing for me this weekend. Perfect, now I can stay home, get a workout in by shoveling snow and getting some putting practice in as well..

I've read a lot of post that talk about getting the your game ready for possibly being selected.

Couple thoughts on that.

This is me, while I would love to be selected, my main goal this year before RR was announced, was to improve my golf game and try to make at least 2-3 THP events. Last year I had about 20 acres of land to look after and it keep me busy all year, but this past fall the wife and I downsized ( I told her it was to get her a new house, but it was really to free up time for more golf for me LOL) so I will have the time to devote to getting better. It's going to be a great year!

Lightningbolt44:
1. I've had to be creative with my time. This is a busy time for me with work so narrowing my focus and making the most of my time is key. I've been focused in short game so I can work indoors mainly.

2. I try my best to have a goal during practice. Occasionally I just beat balls, but mainly it's with certain clubs or situations in mind.

3. If I don't hit my goal it motivates me to try harder, despite disappointment. Ultimately though golf is something I cherish and a release from the everyday grind of life. I won't be let down for long. Even if I don't make the cut I still plan to support my DMV brothers, hopefully by being on site cheering them on.

4. Just look forward to the next time I tee it up. Tell my friends all about this amazing experience.

5. To keep it fun is simply keeping it light when I can. My wife plays so just being out on the course with her is a blast even while prepping for RR.

I've been down with the flu for a few days and pop back in here and Wow........ I've got some catching up to do.

I've been down with the flu for a few days and pop back in here and Wow........ I've got some catching up to do.

Hope you're feeling better!

Yeah, this thread grows quick! Hope you feel better bud! Plenty of fluids, rest and golf channel

I personally think you have to play full out until the match is over. Not to humiliate, but until the final ball drops the match isn't over. If you win the first six holes, who is to say your opponent won't win the next six. I would probably start encouraging the player to hit good shots and to stay focused. I think sportsmanship is how you handle yourself during the match. The biggest hope is that everyone plays to their potential win, lose, or draw.

For those that say they would let up, what does that mean? Other than giving some putts and not going pin seeking, do you intentionally hit wrong clubs and miss your own putts?

I personally think you have to play full out until the match is over. Not to humiliate, but until the final ball drops the match isn't over. If you win the first six holes, who is to say your opponent won't win the next six. I would probably start encouraging the player to hit good shots and to stay focused. I think sportsmanship is how you handle yourself during the match. The biggest hope is that everyone plays to their potential win, lose, or draw.

For those that say they would let up, what does that mean? Other than giving some putts and not going pin seeking, do you intentionally hit wrong clubs and miss your own putts?
I agree. Well said.

Back