Biomechanics in golf

Yff Theos

Reaction score
Handicap
As I cannot deepen the Mac O'Grady and TGM stuff more because there are no possibilities to discuss it without problems anywhere today in the net I guess, I thought perhaps it is a good idea to investigate some simple but true biomechanics in golf that may be of use in my teachings. I am sort of familiar with MacKenzie stuff although such kind of information is too complicated and detailed for me. I have seen recently the Athletic Motion Golf channel on You Tube which I like to watch but it is too cryptic and without references to past time champs swings. I woner what are the recommendations here. Thanks.

Check out rotaryswinggolf. Chuck and those certified to teach rat use biomechanics and research around it

Check out: The Pitching Edge, by Tom House. It is a baseball book but, more importantly, it is a treatise on bio-mechanics. Most of what House explains, about the pitching motion, can be transcribed and applied to the golf swing: center of gravity, axis of rotation, dynamic balance, etc...

Check out rotaryswinggolf. Chuck and those certified to teach rat use biomechanics and research around it

Thanks, however, this site appears to be a payable site for a teaching system aimed at achieving length off the tee and I do not need such. I'd prefer to widen my basic knowledge on biomechanics as such.

Check out: The Pitching Edge, by Tom House. It is a baseball book but, more importantly, it is a treatise on bio-mechanics. Most of what House explains, about the pitching motion, can be transcribed and applied to the golf swing: center of gravity, axis of rotation, dynamic balance, etc...

Well, I do not believe it can be that useful in golf with a stationary ball. Baseball is a reactionary sport. I will look for the book though.

References
1. Fleisig, Glenn MS: “The Biomechanics of Golf”
2. Geisler, Paul MA: “The Kinesiology of the Full Golf Swing”

Books are OK if we have time to read and digest...what about some short and accessible vids for visualizers?

I've learned a lot about biomechanics and kinetics of the golf swing from 2 people:

Dr Jeff Mann

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/index.html

But you will literally need to spend many hundreds of hours reading through the detail and also realise that his site is an evolution of ideas that he's gleaned and updated from others while some are unique personal insights (some chapters and beliefs are out of date ,not re-edited but replaced by new insights elsewhere in other more recent chapters). With regards his opinion on the most optimal way to swing a golf club , you will need to look at his 7 hour videos on You Tube. A lot of the content on his website are critical reviews with differing opinions but usually providing his own evidence using 2D videos and snapshots but also 3D Software graph and other scientific research data. Imho , his knowledge of anatomy gives him an edge over other biomechanic experts although his knowledge of physics and the kinetics of the swing might be weaker compared to 'Sasho McKenzie , Steve Nesbitt, Dr Kwon'.

In fact , I am a member of another free website where I have raised countless questions about the biomechanics of the golf swing. Dr Mann has answered every single one in great detail although I have to be careful not to stress my own personal opinions without concrete evidence to support them (he can get very frustrated about that).

For the physics of golf I have always leaned towards Dave Tutelman's website as he can make the physics more understandable to non-scientific golf academics.

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/

For 'How' to swing the golf club - I am a fan of Shawn Clement because he actually uses proven scientific research methods (see articles and podcasts by Dr Gabriele Wulf on external focus) in his teaching instruction. I don't agree with all his opinions when he starts to delve into the kinetics and anatomy of the golf swing but he's the best at communicating the 'How' and 'Why' rather than the 'What'.

Thanks, both are good sites. The first one is great because it uses TGM treasures, however, it appears to be written by someone who himself is not a very decent golfer. It lacks some touch while transferring Homer's wisdom through biomechanics and to serve it in a digestible way. Anyhow, I like the papers and myself learnt a thing or two these days from there. It would be great if the author makes a paper on Mac and his critique of Homer.
The second one is not so friendly either, lots of physics (too much for my taste) but also very interesting read.
Both are run by passionates, I appreciate it.

The most important (and slightly depressing) thing I've learned is that I am unable to reproduce (overall) the biomechanics that pga pros incorporate in their swings.

This is actually not the problem of yours, this is the problem of these pros who are unable to educate you the way you can sniff how it is to swing like pros. I am working all the time to be a pro who can do it with my students.

Thanks, both are good sites. The first one is great because it uses TGM treasures, however, it appears to be written by someone who himself is not a very decent golfer. It lacks some touch while transferring Homer's wisdom through biomechanics and to serve it in a digestible way. Anyhow, I like the papers and myself learnt a thing or two these days from there. It would be great if the author makes a paper on Mac and his critique of Homer.
The second one is not so friendly either, lots of physics (too much for my taste) but also very interesting read.
Both are run by passionates, I appreciate it.

Actually ,if you are interested, within Dr Mann's site and the other forum link I posted, there are some important criticisms of Homer and Sasho McKenzie. Unfortunately , it can be difficult to locate.

Example :
1. Dr Mann doesn't believe that PA3 can really be deemed as a 'Power Accumulator' - reason being that a larger PA3 angle means an increase in MOI (moment of inertia) which makes increasing clubhead speed more difficult. He regards PA3 as being mainly used for clubface squaring rather than generation of clubhead speed.

2. Doesn't believe in Horizontal/Diagonal/Vertical Hinging - He shows specifically that HH (Horizontal Hinging) is unlikely because there are 'phantom camera' stills of driver swings that show that the clubface is square to path for a many inches post impact. Thinking of the lead shoulder joint complex as hinges (ie, Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal) doesn't make sense because it has such a high degree of freedom in many directions.

3. Homer Kelley didn't mention another Power Accumulator (which Dr Mann defines as PA5#) which can be a powerful source of energy to increase clubhead speed in the early downswing phase.

4. Homer Kelley didn't advocate mixing swinging and hitting but Dr Mann describes swing-hitting techniques that are quite feasible and acceptable

5. Dr Mann doesn't agree with some of Sasho's videos regarding ground forces vs clubhead speed - I discussed this in quite some depth in this forum thread below (I am dubiousgolfer).

In fact if you look at all the many questions I have asked in that 'golf instruction' category, it seems to cover a lot of biomechanics. The biggest mystery (and still unresolved) is the use of the right arm and how PP1 and PP3 are used in the downswing. Apparently , one would need to use some high tech pressure sensors in either the glove or grip and then monitor the data for different swinging , hitting and swing-hitting techniques.

PS. Looks like I am not yet allowed to post url links - look for 'Ground Forces vs Clubhead Speed' thread in the 'Golf Swing Instruction' category in 'Newtongolfinstitute Proboards Forum' (you can Google it).

Last edited:
I just found the thread where Dr Mann didn't believe in the Hinging actions (which is one of the most important TGM concepts). Can get quite complicated though if one isn't acquainted with all the terminology.

http://newtongolfinstitute.proboards.com/thread/664/paddlewheeling-actions-right-forearm

PS. I think you were more interested in Mac O'Grady but I got this confused with Sasho MacKenzie (apologies) - I don't think Dr Mann has done a critical review of Mac O'Grady's opinions .

I've actually seen this video before on Golfwrx forum thread but I don't see the connection with biomechanics. Isn't it a 'How To' method and imho a cloned version of some of the concepts already seen/heard on the 100's of Shawn Clement you-tube videos (which I actually use for my own swing).

To ingrain detailed biomechanical 'theories' to try and optimise a golf swing would take many years of concerted practice without any guarantees (because no-one can say with 100% certainty that these theories are correct). It's a shame that academic discussions about 'cause and effect' in the golf swing frequently end up in ugly heated debates/arguments between 'theorists' .

Actually ,if you are interested, within Dr Mann's site and the other forum link I posted, there are some important criticisms of Homer and Sasho McKenzie. Unfortunately , it can be difficult to locate.

Example :
1. Dr Mann doesn't believe that PA3 can really be deemed as a 'Power Accumulator' - reason being that a larger PA3 angle means an increase in MOI (moment of inertia) which makes increasing clubhead speed more difficult. He regards PA3 as being mainly used for clubface squaring rather than generation of clubhead speed.

2. Doesn't believe in Horizontal/Diagonal/Vertical Hinging - He shows specifically that HH (Horizontal Hinging) is unlikely because there are 'phantom camera' stills of driver swings that show that the clubface is square to path for a many inches post impact. Thinking of the lead shoulder joint complex as hinges (ie, Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal) doesn't make sense because it has such a high degree of freedom in many directions.

3. Homer Kelley didn't mention another Power Accumulator (which Dr Mann defines as PA5#) which can be a powerful source of energy to increase clubhead speed in the early downswing phase.

4. Homer Kelley didn't advocate mixing swinging and hitting but Dr Mann describes swing-hitting techniques that are quite feasible and acceptable

5. Dr Mann doesn't agree with some of Sasho's videos regarding ground forces vs clubhead speed - I discussed this in quite some depth in this forum thread below (I am dubiousgolfer).

In fact if you look at all the many questions I have asked in that 'golf instruction' category, it seems to cover a lot of biomechanics. The biggest mystery (and still unresolved) is the use of the right arm and how PP1 and PP3 are used in the downswing. Apparently , one would need to use some high tech pressure sensors in either the glove or grip and then monitor the data for different swinging , hitting and swing-hitting techniques.

PS. Looks like I am not yet allowed to post url links - look for 'Ground Forces vs Clubhead Speed' thread in the 'Golf Swing Instruction' category in 'Newtongolfinstitute Proboards Forum' (you can Google it).

Well, thanks for this post. I have no time for academic disputes, but obviously PA3 is a Power Accumulator no matter how big is its angle (the bigger the angle the more CS is generated); only when the left arm is perfectly inline with shaft, the effect is close to zero. Swinging/hitting I tend to agree, it is somehow a false dichotomy. Hingings should be IMO read as just concepts/intentions of a golfer's release, while 90% or so can be labelled angled, but the classification is totally OK.

The idea of PA3 being a source of clubhead speed is for me personally , still 'up in the air' .

This is Jeff Mann's opinion :

--------------------------
The release (unloading) of PA#3 occurs when the left forearm supinates in the later downswing between P6.5 and impact, so that the GFLW (Geometric Flat Left Wrist), and therefore the clubface, can become square to the target by impact. I personally believe that the primary function of the left forearm supinatory motion, that must happen between P6.5 and impact, is to enable the golfer to acquire a square clubface by impact, and I do not personally think of the release of PA#3 as being a source of swing power in the sense that it can potentially increase clubhead speed by a very small amount (due to the toe of the club rotating around the hosel of the club at a fast speed). Some TGM literalists seemingly believe that the release of PA#3 can increase clubhead speed at impact if the left forearm actively supinates in the later downswing so that the clubshaft can still be actively rotating around its longitudinal axis while the clubface is in contact with the ball at impact, and they mentally picture the clubface continuing to rotate counterclockwise throughout the entire impact interval and then still continuing to rotate counterclockwise in an uninterrupted manner throughout the P7 => P7.2 immediate impact zone time period. However, that mental scenario is incompatible with my idea of a drive-hold hand release action where the clubface should remain stable, and square to the clubhead arc, throughout the P7 => P7.2 time period. I believe that any left forearm supinatory motion must optimally stop at impact, and I believe that the left forearm must not continue to supinate as the club travels through the immediate impact zone between P7 => P7.2, if a golfer wants to perform a DH-hand release action, and I believe that it is physically impossible to stop the left forearm from continuing to supinate during the clubhead's travel passage through the immediate impact zone if the forces causing left forearm supination are too active (too energetic). I therefore think of the left forearm supinatory motion that happens during the late downswing as being a relatively passive phenomenon, where the amount of counterclockwise left forearm supinatory force being applied is only enough to square the clubface by impact - which means that the counterclockwise roll motion of the left forearm will not likely contribute to an increase in clubhead speed during the pre-impact phase of the golf swing. I therefore do not personally think of the release of PA#3 as being a swing power source, which can significantly increase clubhead speed at impact. I have therefore revised my thinking during the past few years and I now think that a TGM swinger should only use two power accumulators in sequence (PA#4 => PA#2) in order to generate his maximal clubhead speed at impact, and I now think that a TGM swinger should not think of the release of PA#3 as being a power source that can potentially increase clubhead speed at impact.

Finally, it is important to realise that the amount of left forearm supination happening during a PA#3 release action is inversely proportional to left hand grip strength - and that the amount of left forearm supination happening is greatest in golfers who adopt a weak or neutral left hand grip. By contrast, golfers who adopt a very strong (4+ knuckle) left grip do not need to supinate their left forearm during their late downswing, and they have the ulnar border of their left hand (and not the back of their left hand) facing the target at impact. They, therefore, cannot possibly be generating any swing power via a left forearm supinatory roll motion, which is the biomechanical basis of a PA#3 release action.

--------------------

But there is also another clubface squaring phenomenon that could be happening using 'inertia' of the club from P6.7- P7 .This effect was discovered by Kevin Ryan and he has given it a name called the 'Ryke Effect'. It's a bit too complicated to explain here but one can regard it as a passive way ( with very little forearm muscular effort) to trigger the 'clubface squaring' action in the golf swing.

I'm still awaiting Kevin Ryan's long expected book to describe the biomechanics involved that can trigger the 'Ryke Effect' (see the you tube video links below). Jeff Mann has his own opinion on what he thinks could be 'Transverse Force' that is required to trigger the Ryke effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeDPyfex9M

The idea of PA3 being a source of clubhead speed is for me personally , still 'up in the air' .

This is Jeff Mann's opinion :

--------------------------
The release (unloading) of PA#3 occurs when the left forearm supinates in the later downswing between P6.5 and impact, so that the GFLW (Geometric Flat Left Wrist), and therefore the clubface, can become square to the target by impact. I personally believe that the primary function of the left forearm supinatory motion, that must happen between P6.5 and impact, is to enable the golfer to acquire a square clubface by impact, and I do not personally think of the release of PA#3 as being a source of swing power in the sense that it can potentially increase clubhead speed by a very small amount (due to the toe of the club rotating around the hosel of the club at a fast speed). Some TGM literalists seemingly believe that the release of PA#3 can increase clubhead speed at impact if the left forearm actively supinates in the later downswing so that the clubshaft can still be actively rotating around its longitudinal axis while the clubface is in contact with the ball at impact, and they mentally picture the clubface continuing to rotate counterclockwise throughout the entire impact interval and then still continuing to rotate counterclockwise in an uninterrupted manner throughout the P7 => P7.2 immediate impact zone time period. However, that mental scenario is incompatible with my idea of a drive-hold hand release action where the clubface should remain stable, and square to the clubhead arc, throughout the P7 => P7.2 time period. I believe that any left forearm supinatory motion must optimally stop at impact, and I believe that the left forearm must not continue to supinate as the club travels through the immediate impact zone between P7 => P7.2, if a golfer wants to perform a DH-hand release action, and I believe that it is physically impossible to stop the left forearm from continuing to supinate during the clubhead's travel passage through the immediate impact zone if the forces causing left forearm supination are too active (too energetic). I therefore think of the left forearm supinatory motion that happens during the late downswing as being a relatively passive phenomenon, where the amount of counterclockwise left forearm supinatory force being applied is only enough to square the clubface by impact - which means that the counterclockwise roll motion of the left forearm will not likely contribute to an increase in clubhead speed during the pre-impact phase of the golf swing. I therefore do not personally think of the release of PA#3 as being a swing power source, which can significantly increase clubhead speed at impact. I have therefore revised my thinking during the past few years and I now think that a TGM swinger should only use two power accumulators in sequence (PA#4 => PA#2) in order to generate his maximal clubhead speed at impact, and I now think that a TGM swinger should not think of the release of PA#3 as being a power source that can potentially increase clubhead speed at impact.

Finally, it is important to realise that the amount of left forearm supination happening during a PA#3 release action is inversely proportional to left hand grip strength - and that the amount of left forearm supination happening is greatest in golfers who adopt a weak or neutral left hand grip. By contrast, golfers who adopt a very strong (4+ knuckle) left grip do not need to supinate their left forearm during their late downswing, and they have the ulnar border of their left hand (and not the back of their left hand) facing the target at impact. They, therefore, cannot possibly be generating any swing power via a left forearm supinatory roll motion, which is the biomechanical basis of a PA#3 release action.

--------------------

But there is also another clubface squaring phenomenon that could be happening using 'inertia' of the club from P6.7- P7 .This effect was discovered by Kevin Ryan and he has given it a name called the 'Ryke Effect'. It's a bit too complicated to explain here but one can regard it as a passive way ( with very little forearm muscular effort) to trigger the 'clubface squaring' action in the golf swing.

I'm still awaiting Kevin Ryan's long expected book to describe the biomechanics involved that can trigger the 'Ryke Effect' (see the you tube video links below). Jeff Mann has his own opinion on what he thinks could be 'Transverse Force' that is required to trigger the Ryke effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeDPyfex9M

This is too indigestible, man. Dr.Mann needs to take into account THE PA3 ANGLE. As I said before, a perfectly in-line left forearm with the shaft reduces the power to almost zero which case could only happen with a totally immobile left wrist. The left wrist works during the entire motion changing the PA3 Angle.
This "Ryke Effect" is another case of academic (mainly useless) discussion, imo.

PA3 accumulator is explained quite well in the 'The Swingengineer' website below which is basically his interpretation of TGM book by Homer Kelley (Jeff Mann is well acquainted with TGM as he has studied it in depth for over 10 years).

https://www.theswingengineer.com/3rd_power_accumulator.html

What the swing engineer hasn't taken into consideration is the amount of 'active torque' that is required (in a golfer's forearms) to square the clubface (with the varying PA3 angle) . The amount of torque according to Sasho MacKenzie's model/data is quite an appreciable amount. The larger the PA3 angle the more torque is required by the forearms to square the clubface (and greater MOI - moment of inertia). And as you say , the smaller the PA3 angle , the more 'in line' the lead forearm is with the clubshaft , the less the MOI , less torque required to square the clubface.

So yes , you can have a large PA3 angle coming into impact, but to generate clubhead speed you would need to apply a much greater amount of torque in your forearms to try and square the clubface. Further, as the PA3 angle reduces (due to ulnar deviation) , less torque is required to square the clubface. All that large torque you previously used in the downswing (when the PA3 angle and MOI was larger) is difficult to suddenly switch off in the late downswing and you are most likely going to roll your forearms through impact (high ROC). Many PGA pros with neutral grips (Phil Mickelson is one of several exceptions) do not roll their forearms through impact (even with an appreciable PA3 angle) , therefore it seems unlikely that they are using an 'active' forearm rolling action but rather a 'passive' PA3 release action (to square the clubface rather than for creating extra clubhead speed).

Last edited:
PA3 accumulator is explained quite well in the 'The Swingengineer' website below which is basically his interpretation of TGM book by Homer Kelley (Jeff Mann is well acquainted with TGM as he has studied it in depth for over 10 years).

https://www.theswingengineer.com/3rd_power_accumulator.html

What the swing engineer hasn't taken into consideration is the amount of 'active torque' that is required (in a golfer's forearms) to square the clubface (with the varying PA3 angle) . The amount of torque according to Sasho MacKenzie's model/data is quite an appreciable amount. The larger the PA3 angle the more torque is required by the forearms to square the clubface (and greater MOI - moment of inertia). And as you say , the smaller the PA3 angle , the more 'in line' the lead forearm is with the clubshaft , the less the MOI , less torque required to square the clubface.

So yes , you can have a large PA3 angle coming into impact, but to generate clubhead speed you would need to apply a much greater amount of torque in your forearms to try and square the clubface. Further, as the PA3 angle reduces (due to ulnar deviation) , less torque is required to square the clubface. All that large torque you previously used in the downswing (when the PA3 angle and MOI was larger) is difficult to suddenly switch off in the late downswing and you are most likely going to roll your forearms through impact (high ROC). Many PGA pros with neutral grips (Phil Mickelson is one of several exceptions) do not roll their forearms through impact (even with an appreciable PA3 angle) , therefore it seems unlikely that they are using an 'active' forearm rolling action but rather a 'passive' PA3 release action (to square the clubface rather than for creating extra clubhead speed).

Whatever...I am not a fan of splitting hairs and endless debates. You have to consider that Homer was a poor golfer and MORAD improved lots of TGM principles. The truth is Mac was a proponent of a large PA3 Angle and his release is far from HH; Mac's clubface at p8 is (apart from Hogan) the best ever with AH.

There's a local guy that started teaching biomechanics. I haven't used him, but a couple co-workers have and have had pretty good success with him. Check out Jay Lim Golf. I think the program is called GolfCode 360 or something like that. Might help with your research.

My question is, with outstanding knowledge of biomechanics, what would you do with it? How does it help you swing a golf club?

There's a local guy that started teaching biomechanics. I haven't used him, but a couple co-workers have and have had pretty good success with him. Check out Jay Lim Golf. I think the program is called GolfCode 360 or something like that. Might help with your research.

Thanks, but I sincerely doubt it. When someone says on his page such things as this : "Jay Lim was a normal golfer just like you! Within 6 months of playing golf, he achieved a 0 handicap, and within 18 months, he scored sub-par." I am becoming anutomatically sceptic and discouraged. But never say never, perhaps I'll return to this later on in a free winter time.

My question is, with outstanding knowledge of biomechanics, what would you do with it? How does it help you swing a golf club?

Simple answer is I would teach my students better and quicker with a decent understanding of body's limitations.

Whatever...I am not a fan of splitting hairs and endless debates. You have to consider that Homer was a poor golfer and MORAD improved lots of TGM principles. The truth is Mac was a proponent of a large PA3 Angle and his release is far from HH; Mac's clubface at p8 is (apart from Hogan) the best ever with AH.

Unsure what information you are searching for? Is it just biomechanic theories relating to MORAD (which you favour) or are you searching for similarities that seem to apply to all PGA pro golfers (and may not necessarily align with MORAD)? Agreed that 'Athletic Motion Golf' have great videos showing 'what is happening' in pro swings but never detail the biomechanics involved in replicating those 'moves'.

For simple ideas why not just look at the 'Essentials' and 'Imperatives' that Homer Kelley listed (see below) . Even though he wasn't a scratch golfer , doesn't mean all his theories and concepts can be totally discounted (imho there is no 100% truth in biomechanics , just theories).

Some simple biomechanical ideas I've learned from others.

1. Use a right arm swivel takeaway - 'Cactus Move'
2. Keep the 'Flying Wedges ' intact (ie. TGM stuff)
3. Keep the clubshaft 'On Plane' (one end of the club always pointing on the ball-target line except when parallel to the ground) - TGM
4. Swing in a barrel - meaning don't allow the pelvis to move outside the boundary of your knees/ankles - Leadbetter
5. Kinetic Sequence in the downswing is always from the ground up - general agreement
6. Use the correct muscles to optimise the Pelvic rotation - too complicated to explain here but involves weight pressuring the rear hip in the early downswing while activating pelvic rotary muscles and hip flexors (ie. Sam Snead squat). Jeff Mann
7. For swinging - utilise the 'pseudo' Centrifugal Force (or the Law of the Flail) to optimise clubhead speed by using correct hand path vs 'COG path of club' - Although I prefer Sasho Mackenzie's explanation using 'In Plane Couple and Moment of Force'.
8. One can choose to shallow the club in the early downswing to transition more smoothly to achieve the PA3 angle you prefer (a large PA3 angle actually reduces the ROC though impact). Jeff Mann
9. For Swinging ,ensure you don't run out of right arm in the downswing - means ensuring your right shoulder is moved down plane while you pitch the right elbow in front of your right hip. The bent right arm paddling action and bent right wrist can help stabilise the left wrist 'Drive Hold' though impact (see below). Jeff Mann
10. Use your lead shoulder complex to also assist in Drive-Holding the clubface for several inches post impact (ie, Drive Hold means trying to keep the clubface square to its path through impact and limit any clubface 'rate of closure'). This move is similar to the feel of two handed backhand tennis stroke to hit the ball straight and flat. Note there is no independent lead forearm rotation through impact , rather the whole lead arm and clubshaft will be moving with the same angular velocity post impact for several inches. Jeff Mann

Homer Kelley Essentials:
Stationary Head (ie. head allowed to swivel - its not really the head staying still but the Seventh Cervical Vertebrae, or C7 for short )
Balance (holding the centre of gravity of the body inside the stance without moving the head)
Rhythm (holding all components of a rotating motion to the same RPM.That is to say, on the downswing especially, the shoulders, hands and club should all be turning with about the same RPM (revolutions per minute).

HK Imperatives:
Flat Left Wrist (prefer Jeff Mann's definition of a Geometric Flat Left Wrist )
A Clubhead Lag Pressure Point (If the clubshaft isn’t flexed during the impact interval, it will flex because of the impact, softening the blow, decelerating the clubhead and make sustaining compression impossible. As Mr Kelley explains; “The prestressed clubshaft will resist the added weight of the ball during impact, instead of cushioning the impact with an unstressed clubshaft” ) . Modern technology has shown that there is forward shaft bend for the drivers through to 5 irons going into impact , so imho , HK got this wrong.
A Straight Plane Line (line traced along the ground by the clubshaft during the swing. If this traced line is straight, as opposed to curved, then we can be sure the golf club is being swung on a two-dimensional plane. Optimally the SPL would be the ball-target line.

Good luck with your investigations.

Unsure what information you are searching for? Is it just biomechanic theories relating to MORAD (which you favour) or are you searching for similarities that seem to apply to all PGA pro golfers (and may not necessarily align with MORAD)? Agreed that 'Athletic Motion Golf' have great videos showing 'what is happening' in pro swings but never detail the biomechanics involved in replicating those 'moves'.

For simple ideas why not just look at the 'Essentials' and 'Imperatives' that Homer Kelley listed (see below) . Even though he wasn't a scratch golfer , doesn't mean all his theories and concepts can be totally discounted (imho there is no 100% truth in biomechanics , just theories).

As I said, I would like to learn about human body work and limitations in its work. TGM is vastly deprived of biomechanical knowledge, it gives physical possibilities only (some of them are also omitted either on purpose or because of lack of knowledge). Mac wanted to put the spirit of biomechanics into it but due to his unwillingness to publish those of us who base their knowledge on TGM are still clueless. Besides, even as a MORAD fan I cannot be sure Mac's wisdom is flawless. By the way, Essentials and Imperatives are just Homer's very general recommendations that he believed as 100% correct, very far away from biomechanical realm.

Back