Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The following is a Press Release:

CB-Pro Tungsten - Hollow, Progressive, Powerful

The CB PRO Tungsten irons are the most technologically advanced Exotics iron ever, combining hollow construction with progressive tungsten sole weighting designed for players’ adamant about forgiveness, control, and distance. The hollow design necessitates a solid tungsten sole for optimal weighting and to support the super thin face. The long irons are also available individually; CB PRO Tungsten utility irons are designed for players wanting easy to hit, long distance shots.

Each CB PRO Tungsten iron, 2-AW, is hollow from the top line all the way to the sole producing a more active face. To accommodate the hollow design, the top line is thicker, but the progressive set allows players to shape shots superior to traditional cavity-back irons. Exotics hollow irons greatly expand the sweet spot so it feels like a clean hit every time.

CB PRO Tungsten irons feature a heavy, solid piece of W-Ni tungsten in the sole. The W-Ni tungsten is heavier in the short irons and progressively moves through the set (3-9) varying in weight from 95- 90 grams. The weighty sole lowers the CG and makes each club easy to launch.

The CB PRO Tungsten irons feature the same low CG of their predecessors, the CB PROh, without the wide sole. The super-thin, high-strength 17-4 stainless steel face features advanced VFT for superior shot results, even on off-center hits. The VFT in the CB PRO Tungsten irons requires the sweet spot to be thicker because the free-standing face is so hot. The areas surrounding the center of the face are thinner ensuring superior results from more areas of the face.

Suggested retail: $799.99, (3-PW) KBS Tour 90 steel, $899.99, (3-PW) UST Mamiya Recoil graphite, individual irons $99.99 steel/$119.99 graphite. Pre-orders can be placed with an authorized dealer, projected product ship date is November 15, 2015

tee3-L.png

I think the press release pictures don't do them justice. I am very curious what these look like in hand.

• Staff
Of all three sets, these are the ones that I would really really really like to get in hand.

I recently purchased a set of the original CB ProH irons & I've been impressed with their accuracy, distance control & forgives for a mid-sized head. The only thing lacking in them IMO is carry distance. I'm a club shorter than I was with my other irons, but that was somewhat expected since the D200s are all about distance.

I think making the new irons hollow bodied throughout the set is a great idea & the tungsten weight in the sole will surely help launch the ball.

I'm digging the tech but the aesthetics of their new lines just don't do anything for me at all. Looks like they went 15 years the wrong way in that regard.

The progressive weighted tungsten sounds pretty damn cool. Hollow and hot!

I'm digging the tech but the aesthetics of their new lines just don't do anything for me at all. Looks like they went 15 years the wrong way in that regard.

The progressive weighted tungsten sounds pretty damn cool. Hollow and hot!

Yeah. I like the look of the previous model better, but at least they didn't try to incorporate the slip stream sole onto the back of the club like they did with the other models.

• Staff
"without the wide sole"

I do like reading this.

How many other irons feature VFT? Seems like a great feature, even if you lose a bit of distance from center, seems like overall distance control would be better, which is the main thing.

I would love for you to get in a set for review. I have last year's 2 CB ProH in the bag. It's a beast off the tee. It's totally mental for me, but the width of it messes with me and I've never felt fully comfortable with it off the deck.

I would love for you to get in a set for review. I have last year's 2 CB ProH. It's totally mental for me, but the width of it messes with me and I've never felt fully comfortable with it off the deck.
The 5i-2i irons do have some junk in the trunk, but I like that it's more on the back of the club than on the sole.

Of all three sets, these are the ones that I would really really really like to get in hand.
I'm hoping that you do. I would really like to hear your thoughts.

My CB ProH's (3-pw) perform well. I will be interested in hearing more about the latest version.

Those are nice looking.

I think the press release pictures don't do them justice. I am very curious what these look like in hand.

Me too. Compared to the CB Pro H from this past year, I wasn't a huge fan of the looks. More I look at the picture the more I am intrigued and they're growing on me. I've got a couple irons/hybrids I am thinking of replacing.

Any word if THP will be getting a full set to review?

Isn't the slip stream sole very similar to the new TaylorMade RS irons?

Isn't the slip stream sole very similar to the new TaylorMade RS irons?
The slip stream sole is the wavy cheese grader looking thing TEE came out with for improving turf interaction on a 3w a year or 2 ago. The E9 series has incorporated the look into the whole range of clubs.

I hit Cookie's CB-Pro Tungsten 3 iron once of the tee today & man did that thing feel good. I only hit it around 190 yards into a light breeze, but was dead straight & had a good flight.

The head was the perfect size IMO. Not too big & not small enough to be intimidating. I could see a set of these ending up in my bag at some point in the future.

I hit Cookie's CB-Pro Tungsten 3 iron once of the tee today & man did that thing feel good. I only hit it around 190 yards into a light breeze, but was dead straight & had a good flight.

The head was the perfect size IMO. Not too big & not small enough to be intimidating. I could see a set of these ending up in my bag at some point in the future.

I need to use it more off the tee, was a pretty ball you hit. I showed you that one I caught off the toe that was still a great result. Every time I try a TE club the more impressed I get.

Back