Driver Head vs Custom Shaft

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Internet golfers, I need your help!

Recently I've been spending waaay to much time on driver and shaft reviews. My problem is, do I look at upgrading my current driver head / shaft / or both? Cost is a factor for me as I can't go out and drop hundreds of dollars.

About Me: I'm a 14 handicapper who can put a decent distance on my drives (265+) but control can be hit or miss. My main miss is left. Current swing speed is just over 100 mph, usually around 102-103. I play the Srixon Z star ball. I currently game a Cobra Biocell at 9.5 deg and have two shafts I use. The first is an Aldila NV-F 55g stiff flex at standard length, the second is a Matrix VLCT- ST 70g x-stiff at 1/2" short. I tend to launch the ball pretty decently so a higher launch is not needed.

I'm looking to either replace the shaft for the current driver head or look at upgrading to an F6 or F7 driver head and keep the current shafts I have (or play the stock that comes with) or possibly play a HZRDUS shaft (black maybe?).

Any recommendations or input is very welcome. Thanks to this wonderful community for feeding my habit!

I’ll be the first of many to say, “Go through a fitting.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shaft IMO a used to fine tune the results of a driver head. Best way to find what works is get fit in an environment where you can mimick on course situations

Here is the issue, without a fitting you’ll just be guessing at what shaft works for you. And one shaft may respond differently with a particular head vs another. The fitting doesn’t need to be intense but at least get some numbers with a few shafts before you decide.

If that isn’t in the cards then you can always upgrade the driver and upgrade to a shaft that you feel might suit your game. And the upgrade with some OEMs doesn’t cost any extra coin.

As much as I’d love to go to Club Champion and get fitted it just isn’t in the cards if I actually want to purchase the equipment. I see PGA Superstore offers free driver fittings and when I was browsing there last week I saw some HZRDUS shafts on the new Cobra F8 Driver. I’ll try to get a driver fitting and see if I can test out those special shafts and see if there’s a difference. I don’t have the cash this year to drop the money on a brand new release driver. Hence why I’m looking at older versions of the Cobra drivers and then looking to pick up a shaft either used from the THP marketplace.

The reason I have the Aldila shaft is because I had great results when I had my old F Speed driver and as much as I like it I’m having problems controlling it. It feels a bit whippy towards the tip.

I tried a TM driver a few years ago and although the sim numbers were awesome it didn’t translate to the course. So I went with the Biocell and things came back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaft up or the handcrafted experience could be a game changer.

Driver Head vs Custom Shaft

Truth! That’s part of the problem..... watching those videos, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. While I'm still no expert, after last years THCE I feel like I have a great deal better knowledge/idea as to what I'm looking for to accomplish performance criteria in trying to select a shaft (in addition to bagging great shafts!).

Back