"No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

Used to be only taylormade irons and woods. Now I carry tm driver and hybrid, callaway irons / wedges and callaway fW

I used to want them to match. Now I will play what works.

I'm not brand loyal with hard goods, but favor and support certain companies with soft goods (i.e. clothing, balls, towels, etc.). Hard goods come down to performance - plain and simple.

In my early days I would say that I wanted to be brand loyal but at the same time I would still demo other brands just because I love equipment. Now that I have grown both in maturity and golf knowledge I now know to play what is best in my game. I know that there are some that just like one brand and I dont feel that there is anything wrong with that. To each his own really.

I like the idea of an all Callaway bag and have tried to replace a Titleist 913H with multiple Callaway hybrids and the 915H. And Titleist is my least favorite brand. But she just won't leave the bag.

I like the idea of an all Callaway bag and have tried to replace a Titleist 913H with multiple Callaway hybrids and the 915H. And Titleist is my least favorite brand. But she just won't leave the bag.

Same here

Last edited:

Well what I've learned from this tread is that most people have some form of bias, however that bias wouldn't cause normal people to refuse free balls and a demo of other product...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To a point, I can be brand loyal with what falls into my bag, but it's only a soft nudge when companies go out of their way to make THP members happy.

When it comes down to trying clubs, I'm a spur of the moment guy, with that spur of the moment coming thirty times a year. If something blows me away, I'm hard pressed not to make a move on it. Could be from any company.

At my home course, the guys are strongly loyal to Titleist and TaylorMade when the demo days arrive, with Mizuno and Callaway fighting the good fight (they are the two fit carts we have). What interests me more about brand loyalty, is hearing from people why they have a set of "X" irons in their bag.

Honest question, is there anything wrong with only demoing or buying one OEM's clubs?

Honest question, is there anything wrong with only demoing or buying one OEM's clubs?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, however it's a little close minded. In this case, it even cost the guy free balls...

Dax

Is there anything wrong with a 30 handicap playing MBs?

Nah, but he's doing himself a disservice.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, however it's a little close minded. In this case, it even cost the guy free balls...

Dax

The "free balls" thing is unenexcuseable. If nothing else, shah bag

Other than missing out on a free sleeve of balls just because it's a company you don't want to buy, I don't have a problem with it. With how much good stuff is coming out of these companies these days, you're not going to be leaving a ton on the table even if you only buy one brand. Most brands have something that will fit just about everyone.

Plus, if having all of one company makes you happy, then that can trump performance any day of the week.

Other than missing out on a free sleeve of balls just because it's a company you don't want to buy, I don't have a problem with it. With how much good stuff is coming out of these companies these days, you're not going to be leaving a ton on the table even if you only buy one brand. Most brands have something that will fit just about everyone.

Plus, if having all of one company makes you happy, then that can trump performance any day of the week.

You have seven companies represented in your bag... Seems like if you were limited to only one brand you'd be leaving a fair bit on the table, no?

You have seven companies represented in your bag... Seems like if you were limited to only one brand you'd be leaving a fair bit on the table, no?

I don't know, I'm pretty positive I could play pretty similar with most equipment.

I hit 3 different brand 7 irons yesterday on a par 3, all different style of irons, and all went within 5 yards of each other. I've shown this to myself over and over too. Out of the biggest brands, I could easily play an entire bag of Callaway, TM, Titleist, or Ping and have 0 problems and probably score very similar if not identical to each other.

So how do you choose?
Good experiences with the company? Preference of logo?

So how do you choose?

Good experiences with company are part of it, but most of it is because of price/deals typically.

GBB was mainly results driven, but also meeting the ZooCrew at the gauntlet.

Cleveland 3 wood was due to the price I got it for.

R15 hybrid was due to trade in bonus they ran and previous results from TM hybrids.

Adams hybrid was because of a deal online.

Bridgestone irons were because of what I could get with trade in bonus plus how they performed at THP events when I tried them.

Titleist wedges were because they came in blue and got them as a birthday present.

Odyssey putter was partially brand, but that exact one was on trade

But I still think I could put an entire bag together of most companies and not leave a ton out there for me. Especially from the couple companies I listed in the last post.

I wasn't a brand loyal guy until #staffproto but I have to admit I'm really drawn to their product now and will probably switch out my entire bag for W/S equipment. I was so impressed with the people from W/S and the company as a whole that I now am completely drawn to them and their products. Knowing the people and tech behind the equipment has made me a Wilson Staffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how do you choose?

I was serious TM homer when they launched the 300 series and through the R9 TP and R11s. Since then, not so much. Nothing seems to work. For a stint I was a Srixon guy and loved the irons. Callaway just keeps bringing it and Srixo finally launched an iron I craved. Bridgestone was discover via THP.

All of these companies have or had quality product that worked for me. They also have a personal touch that makes me feel like one of chosen ones even though I'm one of the rank and file.

As you can tell from my signature I may be a bit of a TM guy. However, I don't get along well with any of their current or former putters, and TBH I scored great deals from THP-ers and websites on some TM clubs so I'm gaming them. I play well with what I have, and being on a sort of golfing budget thanks to the wife, I can't always change. However I will NEVER turn down a chance to at least demo a club/set of clubs based on what logo is on them. And if they perform better for me than what I have and I can swing the price, I'll pull the trigger

I don't limit myself to a certain brand however I do have bias against some. I won't play anything Nike. For awhile there I wouldn't play anything Callaway until recently when their driver was in the bag for awhile.

So how do you choose?

You know, I think a lot of it comes from early golf experiences whether young or old. Back in HS I used TM, Callaway and Titleist for whatever reason. I've always favored those OEM's going forward. I've tried and used other clubs since then but there is something comforting with those OEM's because of my youth play.

As a member of this forum, you should be fully aware of this phenomenon. Just trade the "Taylormade" for "Callaway".

Is this necessary? First of all, it isn't true. As a guy who has basically a full Callaway bag I will hit literally anything and everything

As a member of this forum, you should be fully aware of this phenomenon. Just trade the "Taylormade" for "Callaway".

Lol... I have a bag full of Callaway, but that didn't stop me from demo'ing the M1 and the PSI irons as soon as they came in...

Dax

Pay no mind, friends. This attitude is common, and it won't change.

Hat tip to Callaway for blowing minds over the last couple seasons.

Signed,
Guy with not much Callaway in the bag

Back