Tour Pros home courses

tbanks5

Reaction score
Handicap
We hear a lot about PGA Tour stars home areas. Rickie and Tiger in the Jupiter, FL area, Jason Day is a member at Memorial in Ohio. Justin Rose is a member at Albany GC in the bahamas.

I'm just curious if anyone has some insight into some of the PGA stars home courses? Where they work on their game?

Who and where?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lots of them. Isleworth and Lake Nona have plenty.

Most of the PGA Players in Phoenix area are members at Whisper Rock.

We hear a lot about PGA Tour stars home areas. Rickie and Tiger in the Jupiter, FL area, Jason Day is a member at Memorial in Ohio. Justin Rose is a member at Albany GC in the bahamas.

I'm just curious if anyone has some insight into some of the PGA stars home courses? Where they work on their game?

Who and where?

Isleworth, Lake Nona, Medalist Golf Club, The Bears Club, GreyHawk, Albany Golf Club (granted it seems members of Isleworth and Lake Nona make up a majority of those members), Old Palm used to have a few.

I’m sure there are plenty I’m forgetting even in Florida.

Kenny Perry owns a course about an hour from here. He's always there and very approachable. Last year we played his course and as we were leaving he was heading to the driving range. I told my buddy and his fiance, we went up the driving range, watched him hit a few and he turned around and asked how we were doing. He gladly took pictures with them and signed her hat, incredibly nice guy. He holds a yearly tournament there to fund-raise for local schools golf teams and gives away a ton of equipment. Something like 18 sets of irons, drivers, putters, woods, hybrids Usually a fun contest.

Stewart Cink lives and is a member at TPC Sugarloaf and East Lake. Billy Andrade is also a member at East Lake. Just the quality of the courses they play everyday is a whole different sport from what I’m playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Spieth plays at Dallas National. He said it was the closest to the level of courses he plays on tour.

Bunch of guys at sea island

Oh man, no idea how I missed that one

I think it’s one of those places guys forget about because outside of dl3, zj abd kuch most of guys there aren’t big names or constantly on the front page of the leaderboard every week, but they fit some good sticks there

Jimmy walker plays at cordillera ranch in Boerne, TX. I've been up there a few times. Really great place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Who and where?

I usually just go to https://www.ghin.com/ and look up players by name. Bubba is currently a +5.3 Pensacola CC

Virginia Country Club in Long Beach CA is one that most people don't know or mention. It has a pretty strong group lead by Patrick Cantlay at the moment. John Cook, Paul Gyodos, John Mallinger, John Merrick, Luke List, Peter Tomasulo also play out of there. Jamie Mulligan is the pro there and coaches all of them.

A bit of a blast from the past, but I used to use a little driving range just down the road from me in Ascot, and Laura Davies would often be there there blasting balls down the range.

#FiberLaunch

Aren't there a few who live in and around, and are members at, TPC Sawgrass in N. Florida.....

Pretty sure poulter lived in Orlando for a bit. I actually pulled up in traffic next to him. Bright red Ferrari

Sent from HTX

I recall back in 2009-2010 me and a few guys were playing Troon North in Scottsdale and went into locker room and there were a number of PGA players' names on lockers. Can't remember names but one was Stewart Cink I believe. Was a pretty sweet locker room, nothing like I had ever seen before.

Tiger used to live on Isleworth and play / practice there with Hank Haney

I just remembered Webb Simpson is a member at Quail Hollow.

Sawgrass has Vijay, Furyk

Heathrow has Dimarco

Bayhill has Saunders, hoch, Jansen, cook

Reading through this thread made me wonder: Is there a reason a handful of clubs seem to attract tour pros more so than others? Is it the membership they offer the pros? The course conditions? Practice facilities? Location? Camaraderie in that these guys want to play where their peers/friends on tour are playing?

Much like I do now (albeit with public courses), I try to find "hidden gems" and stick to those. Tournament level courses that don't see the traffic of others for whatever reason (location, maybe reputation, etc.). If I was a pro, I feel like I would not want the distractions and would rather find a very nice "no-name" course to call my home and keep me grounded.

Reading through this thread made me wonder: Is there a reason a handful of clubs seem to attract tour pros more so than others? Is it the membership they offer the pros? The course conditions? Practice facilities? Location? Camaraderie in that these guys want to play where their peers/friends on tour are playing?

Much like I do now (albeit with public courses), I try to find "hidden gems" and stick to those. Tournament level courses that don't see the traffic of others for whatever reason (location, maybe reputation, etc.). If I was a pro, I feel like I would not want the distractions and would rather find a very nice "no-name" course to call my home and keep me grounded.

I'd guess it's much like you or me joining a club in our respective areas....
1. The Tour Guys probably reside pretty close by and feel the membership is worth the $$ they'll pay
2. The Tour Guys probably find the course to their liking, for the most part
3. They have buddies from the Tour that belonged first and recommended the course, OR they brought their buddies in as members...

Aside from the golf skills, money and fame.... they can't be all THAT different from the rest of us... right?? :D

I guess that's my point.. Are there specific locations that breed/house professional golfers more so than others? What about these courses attract tour players to them over other private clubs in the area? Is it that they're PGA level courses, or moreso the mentality that when you can afford the best, you play the best? In other words, if you can afford to be a member at Sawgrass (for example) and live in the area, why would you go anywhere else?

Aside from the golf skills, money and fame.... they can't be all THAT different from the rest of us... right?? :D

Ha ha, let me give Sawgrass a call and I'll let you know...

Billy Hurley III doesn’t have a true home course iirc but plays a lot at TPC Potomac at Avenel or at Queenstown

Virginia Country Club in Long Beach CA is one that most people don't know or mention. It has a pretty strong group lead by Patrick Cantlay at the moment. John Cook, Paul Gyodos, John Mallinger, John Merrick, Luke List, Peter Tomasulo also play out of there. Jamie Mulligan is the pro there and coaches all of them.

I took lessons from Jamie in the early 1990's when he was at Skylinks in Long Beach. Went from a 14 to a zero. Everything I was doing was wrong. Jamie taught me how to really play the game. Fond memories, great times.

Back