New guy from Texas

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I have only played five or six times in the last ten years due to running a business and getting frustrated with golf in general. I started playing in the late eighties and got pretty good at golf after a few years of practice and playing often. I had a slice at first that turned into a nice fade that I could count on. In my quest to get better I decided that I wanted to learn to draw the ball and that is what started my troubles. I have a temper and that made golf harder for me I am sure but I loved the game and got to where I could shoot 10-15 over every time out. When I started the quest for a draw swing I developed a nasty hook. I got frustrated and decided to go back to my trusty fade that had always been there for me, uh oh it was GONE!! My swing was damaged goods at that point and I was not having fun anymore so I pretty much just quit playing golf.

When I would go see my parents once a year or so I would play with my dad and to my surprise I would play pretty good after months or even years without even swinging a club or thinking about golf at all. My dad got away from golf as well so I went five years without even swinging a club. Fast forward to Thanksgiving of 2017 and I was visiting my folks and out of the blue we went to the driving range. I was hitting my dads clubs that don't fit me very well as he uses regular flex and I use stiff but I just slowed down and was hitting the ball pretty good. The next day we went and played, it was cold but sunny and we played best ball. We shot six over and it was not my dads day so to speak, I hit several good shots and just played out of my mind.

I went on vacation to Arizona in December and played golf twice in a week, first at Emerald Canyon on the banks of the Colorado river south of Lake Havasu and later at Valle Vista north of Kingman. Emerald canyon is a absolutely beautiful course with terrain I have only seen in video games. I rented a set of clubs and played with no glove and tennis shoes. Lets just say that it was not my day and unlike the video game the balls do not bounce off the mountains and back in the fairway lol. I had only brought six balls and by the back nine I was down to one ball. I found a razor sharp cactus bush just right of the fairway that had many balls imbedded in it. After a few flesh wounds I had enough balls to finish the round. I quit keeping score after a while but I hit enough good shots to want to play again.

On the last day of vacation I was unsure about playing again but decided to try Valle Vista in Kingman. I rented some clubs, a steel shafted Big Bertha knock off and some no name irons. A bulls eye style putter that was just tiny, all with pretty slick grips. Again with no glove, tennis shoes and the balls I gleaned from the cactus off I went. I ended up shooting a two mulligan 84 and just hit some great shots, a nine iron within a foot stands out as the best shot of the day. I hit that steel shafted driver pretty darn good.

Back in Texas I have been to the driving range several times and I am hitting the ball better than I ever have before. My irons are dialed in but the woods are not consistent. I had to buy a new driver because my son broke the head off my old one at top golf. I could only laugh and remember the time I hacked down some corn in the field behind my house as a kid with my dads golf clubs, bent them up pretty good haha. I am determined not to buy any more new equipment for a year at least but the new irons are very tempting.

So I just wanted to introduce myself to the group and thank everyone for such a great forum.

Dan

Welcome to THP!

Welcome Dan!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP Dan, glad to see another Texan joining in the fun!

:welcome:

:welcome: and to the frustrated club! Glad that you're enjoying the game again.

Welcome to THP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only played five or six times in the last ten years due to running a business and getting frustrated with golf in general. I started playing in the late eighties and got pretty good at golf after a few years of practice and playing often. I had a slice at first that turned into a nice fade that I could count on. In my quest to get better I decided that I wanted to learn to draw the ball and that is what started my troubles. I have a temper and that made golf harder for me I am sure but I loved the game and got to where I could shoot 10-15 over every time out. When I started the quest for a draw swing I developed a nasty hook. I got frustrated and decided to go back to my trusty fade that had always been there for me, uh oh it was GONE!! My swing was damaged goods at that point and I was not having fun anymore so I pretty much just quit playing golf.

When I would go see my parents once a year or so I would play with my dad and to my surprise I would play pretty good after months or even years without even swinging a club or thinking about golf at all. My dad got away from golf as well so I went five years without even swinging a club. Fast forward to Thanksgiving of 2017 and I was visiting my folks and out of the blue we went to the driving range. I was hitting my dads clubs that don't fit me very well as he uses regular flex and I use stiff but I just slowed down and was hitting the ball pretty good. The next day we went and played, it was cold but sunny and we played best ball. We shot six over and it was not my dads day so to speak, I hit several good shots and just played out of my mind.

I went on vacation to Arizona in December and played golf twice in a week, first at Emerald Canyon on the banks of the Colorado river south of Lake Havasu and later at Valle Vista north of Kingman. Emerald canyon is a absolutely beautiful course with terrain I have only seen in video games. I rented a set of clubs and played with no glove and tennis shoes. Lets just say that it was not my day and unlike the video game the balls do not bounce off the mountains and back in the fairway lol. I had only brought six balls and by the back nine I was down to one ball. I found a razor sharp cactus bush just right of the fairway that had many balls imbedded in it. After a few flesh wounds I had enough balls to finish the round. I quit keeping score after a while but I hit enough good shots to want to play again.

On the last day of vacation I was unsure about playing again but decided to try Valle Vista in Kingman. I rented some clubs, a steel shafted Big Bertha knock off and some no name irons. A bulls eye style putter that was just tiny, all with pretty slick grips. Again with no glove, tennis shoes and the balls I gleaned from the cactus off I went. I ended up shooting a two mulligan 84 and just hit some great shots, a nine iron within a foot stands out as the best shot of the day. I hit that steel shafted driver pretty darn good.

Back in Texas I have been to the driving range several times and I am hitting the ball better than I ever have before. My irons are dialed in but the woods are not consistent. I had to buy a new driver because my son broke the head off my old one at top golf. I could only laugh and remember the time I hacked down some corn in the field behind my house as a kid with my dads golf clubs, bent them up pretty good haha. I am determined not to buy any more new equipment for a year at least but the new irons are very tempting.

So I just wanted to introduce myself to the group and thank everyone for such a great forum.

Dan

Welcome man! I’m in Houston too. Check out the Houston area THP group thread we have going!

Sent from HTX

Welcome!!

Welcome!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Welcome fellow Texan...

Welcome

Welcome to THP! Solid first post!

Welcome Dan!!

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP!

:welcome: