Votes: 14 30.4%

• Total voters

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I never really tinker with adjustable hosels, but this one has got me wondering:

Those of you who are adamant about spine alignment, what do you do if you adjust your hosel, to say, gain loft, Wouldn't you be throwing off your alignment?

Does it matter?

Do you just change the position of the shaft in the adapter to meet the hosel setting of your liking? I imagine that's what I would do.

I don't know anyone that is adamant about spin alignment on current technology. Companies and independent reviews have shown that there is no need to spine align anymore. In fact, the only people that I see championing spine alignment are small shops and club builders that are trying to sell a service.

I feel like a read a lot about guys who are really into it.

Guys that are into it, or people that are trying to talk about benefits of it, might simply be trying be trying to sell a service

I've read numerous places on here directly from shaft companies that this is no longer needed.

When you have shaft companies and club companies saying it's pointless, you have to kind of agree with there expertise. What would they have to gain from lying?

When you have shaft companies and club companies saying it's pointless, you have to kind of agree with there expertise. What would they have to gain from lying?

Yep. Straight from the mouth of Don Brown at PX, "spine alignment and puring are completely unnecessary".

It is correct though that a LOT of club building shops swear by this type of stuff, including top shelf places like Club Champion and Modern Golf. I'm looking at trying to get in at the Modern Golf outside of Vancouver for a Trackman fitting in the next month, so this is something that I'd like to investigate with them - i.e. how much does it matter? My hunch is that it may have an effect in dispersion, but the effect is probably less than the standard deviation of any given sample (i.e. not statistically significant).

Everyone knows that getting the FLO is what the cool kids do now

I think "adamant" is too strong a word. But yes, if I had the chance, I'd like to have the shafts spined. It really doesn't cost much, but the ones with adjustable adapters are a little harder to do.

I know many have said that these days shafts don't need to be spined anymore, and I'm not a physicist, but once the fitters put the club on a vice grip and pull back, and the shaft makes that little circular motion, that's physics I can see, and that's not even moving at full clubhead speed.

It's like bringing a lucky charm around. It may or may not work, but it doesn't take much to do, and it's one less thing I have to worry about because I know I won't swing perfect every single time.

I don't know anyone that is adamant about spin alignment on current technology. Companies and independent reviews have shown that there is no need to spine align anymore. In fact, the only people that I see championing spine alignment are small shops and club builders that are trying to sell a service.

I agree.

Sorry. I guess we should delete this topic. It wasn't supposed to be a discussion about whether or not you believe in aligning the spine of your shaft. There's plenty of threads on that topic.

I was just thinking out loud.

If I have one marked for spline I'll build it in the adapter for how I plain on playing it.. If its already glued in the adapter I'll just ignore it & adjust club to the setting I want. I won't take it apart to spline

Last edited:
Its important, so is flo, for many many reasons...to suit your game. Its only not necessary when the shaft is perfectly round or has radial consistency...which is impossible.

Most people cant tell because they only set the shaft once, unless you have a cally dual cog sleeve

What are these many reasons? From what I have read many shaft companies say it's unnecessary.

Last edited:
There are some pretty big jumps there.
And also a lot of assumptions as to what others have had.

I disagree with quite a bit of the above, but im also of the opinion that if it works for someone, have at it.
However as has been mentioned above, it seems that a high percentage of the people that swear its necessary are ones that do it for consumers for a living. Where as the people that are making the shafts, are saying that its not as necessary. Now obviously people making the shafts want them to produce the best results for you, because if they don't, then that is a negative tick mark against the brand.

With all of that being said, golf is a game of a lot of different things and one of them is precision and mental precision. So if it works for someone, all the power to them and I hope it continues to give them the best abilities out there.

I worked at Miccosukee golf club back in'97. The equipment guy, I want to at his name was Dick Wolf claimed to discovered splining. This was the lining up of the spine of the golf club for added strength. I knew no better and he set me up. He preached this every chance he got. I feel into his beliefs but never preached it. He was a great guy and felt he knew his stuff.

But with the hand crafted and rolled shafts we have now days, this art is a non factor as I understand it. I've talked to plenty of fitters as well and they all agree it's a non factor. Are there guys that believe in it yes and are their tour players that need it, yes. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Is spine aligning a shaft still that big of a deal? I thought modern materials and construction have rendered it an obsolete process.

Is spine aligning a shaft still that big of a deal? I thought modern materials and construction have rendered it an obsolete process.
Based on what we've heard direct from the shaft companies this year, I'd have to agree. Nonetheless, I'd like to see ProZones data that shows it tangibly effects the shafts playing ability and how it translates into better performance for the player.

Based on what we've heard direct from the shaft companies this year, I'd have to agree. Nonetheless, I'd like to see ProZones data that shows it tangibly effects the shafts playing ability and how it translates into better performance for the player.
ROBOT TESTING!!!!! Let's spine the shít out of some shafts!

Last edited:
Back