Tour Edge HL3 Irons - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review are both the new HL3 Iron-Woods and Irons from Tour Edge's "Hot Launch" lineup of clubs. There has been a LOT of buzz post PGA Show about the HL3 lineup form Tour Edge as they have put together clubs that have looks, technology, and are all placed at an incredible price point.

This thread is going to play host to both the Iron-Woods specifically as I will be doing individual reviews on each of these, but both can be freely discussed in each thread. Tour Edge sent into THP 6-7 HL3 Iron-Woods, and 8-PW HL3 Irons. The Iron-Woods are paired with the Tour Edge branded UST Mamiya graphite shafts, and the Irons with the KBS Tour 90 shafts.

Tour Edge on the HL3 Irons:

HL3 irons incorporate an expanded undercut cavity to provide maximum forgiveness and consistent performance. Featuring advanced toe weighting, the soft 431 stainless steel design provides great accuracy and feel for players of all levels. The HL3's undercut cavity allows weight to be moved away from the face and into the sole for a higher MOI, launch angle, and enhanced forgiveness.

A notch hosel featured in the 3 through 7-irons removes weight from the heel and repositions it to the toe, elongating the sweet spot for unsurpassed forgiveness. The 8-iron through PW feature a more traditional set up designed to deliver exceptional feel and control on approach shots.

CUSTOM AFFORDABILITY - Built to your specifications including length, lie angle, loft, shaft flex and grip size.

Price: $419.99/$489.99 (Steel/Graphite)Specifications:

MODELLOFTLIEGRAPHITE / STEEL SHAFT LENGTHFLEX
#3 IRON20.0°60.5°39.25"L,A,R,S
#4 IRON22.0°61.0°38.75"L,A,R,S
#5 IRON25.0°61.5°38.25"L,A,R,S
#6 IRON28.0°62.0°37.75"L,A,R,S
#7 IRON32.0.0°62.5°37.25"L,A,R,S
#8 IRON36.0°63.0°36.75"L,A,R,S
#9 IRON41.0°63.5°36.25"L,A,R,S
PW46.0°64.0°35.75"L,A,R,S
AW50.0°64.0°35.75"L,A,R,S
SW55.0°64.0°35.75"L,A,R,S
LW60.0°64.0°35.75"L,A,R,S

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0223-XL.jpg

DSC_0224-XL.jpg

DSC_0225-XL.jpg

DSC_0226-XL.jpg

DSC_0227-XL.jpg

DSC_0228-XL.jpg

DSC_0229-XL.jpg

DSC_0230-XL.jpg

DSC_0231-XL.jpg

DSC_0232-XL.jpg

• Staff
I didn't hit the Iron-Woods today, but I did hit this 8i.

And I hit it from 172.

Yeah.

And I hit it from 172.

Yeah.

So do they look like a TM RocketBladez with a Ping COR-Eye badging on the back? Or something close. Does the badge on the back have performance function??

I'll say here what I said when the Cleveland CBX were released. If these perform well every other OEM might want to take notice and give their price points a serious look in the GI category.

Since I’m an Altitude guy I never even thought to hit these yesterday. Went right for the ironwood demo. Pretty busy looking but Neon yellow/lime is my favorite color so I’m willing to give them a whirl. How’s the offset on these ?

The price point on these is fantastic, I like the looks a lot as well. Looking forward to seeing how these work out. I think they should be on the short list for a big segment of the market.

I've said it often here, but I'll chime in again. I played a 2h x 6i set of Tour Edge Bazookas, which I believe was one of the prior gens, from 2006-2016. Absolutely sensational value, and because they've been doing it for so long successfully, I suspect these are at least as good.

James I'll be curious to know the ballflight differences between the two, especially since the Ironwoods are graphites vs the scoring irons in steel.

And I hit it from 172.

Yeah.
I'd say that's pretty good distance. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say about both types, but also the idea of a combo set.

I thought the Hot Launch line was geared for the higher hcap market. These look great.

I thought the Hot Launch line was geared for the higher hcap market. These look great.

Definitely still have a decent amount of offset and a thicker topline, but they look better than I expected as well. Namely the soles aren't ginormous.

Definitely still have a decent amount of offset and a thicker topline, but they look better than I expected as well. Namely the soles aren't ginormous.

Jman, based on your offset comments in the other thread, would you say these have roughly the same amount of offset as the iron woods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman, based on your offset comments in the other thread, would you say these have roughly the same amount of offset as the iron woods?

Yeah, they blend pretty seamlessly IMO, the lofts are a touch different, but they need to be with where the mass/cg is in the ironwoods. Once we de-ice, I'll snag some side by sides with the 7 IW and the 8 I to help!

Yeah, they blend pretty seamlessly IMO, the lofts are a touch different, but they need to be with where the mass/cg is in the ironwoods. Once we de-ice, I'll snag some side by sides with the 7 IW and the 8 I to help!
I'd be curious to know what your thought would be on where the best gap/change in a combo set would be between these and the iron-woods.

Yeesh, sorry for the delay here, so lets get some thoughts, shall we?

High. Ball go high....and straight.

No really though, thoughts:

Looks:

Obviously not a dainty iron, but, IMO pretty standard for the top end of GI/SGI. Topline is thicker, but its not off putting at address, the fact that it is squared off rather than beveled/rounded makes them look bigger than they are. As I said with the ironwoods update though, the offset will be a person by person opinion, its noticable, but for this type of club it SHOULD be as most golfers need that (whether they admit it or not) to help aid launch. I do still like the yellow, its usually off putting as it for whatever reason has a connotation to it for golfers of cheaper (which makes no effing sense when you think about it), but they blended chrome, badging, and accents well.

Performance:

Ball gets up. Paired with the Tour 90's (still a classic BTW), the ball gets up quick, and they are additionally a lot lower spinning than I expected so the distance is there, in fact, for the price point the distance is REALLY there. Its all relative to the user and their SS/game, but I have been pulling the 8i from 170-175, thats pretty dang deep. I've not seen any hook/draw issues, even with the offset (and I'm a mental one when it comes to offset), and the ball flight has been extremely neutral, right in line with what I have seen from the ironwoods, which gives me even more confidence that they could blend well as a combo set. The undercut cavity does its job from a spin perspective, but also that shift of weight to the perimeter definitely gives the forgiveness you would expect. Feedback on misses is less blurred than the ironwoods were, but, that is expected given the size difference. I'll also add, they feel/sound firm, but its not at all harsh.

More soon! If you have Q's, please post! Don't just ignore them because they're Tour Edge and not Exotics!

I'm thinking a combo set with these from like 7-GW and Iron-woods for 2-6 would be a sweet combo set, all with KBS!

I'm thinking a combo set with these from like 7-GW and Iron-woods for 2-6 would be a sweet combo set, all with KBS!

And moreover, it would be crazy affordable.

I need help with height. I need help with straight.

I do like the looks of these, far more than their original photos showed. My mental block with hybrids and the Altitudes I gamed for a bit leads me to think these in graphite might be more up my alley as a slower swinger.

And moreover, it would be crazy affordable.

Agreed, $420 MSRP Steel, with the right trade in bonuses, could be a sweet experiment!

James how is the weighting of the club? Is it head-heavy or pretty well balanced?

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if there was any updated feedback on the irons :)

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if there was any updated feedback on the irons :)

Working on it, have been buttoning up a few other reviews that will go up soon (UST V2 and SuperSpeed Golf) and managing the twins. But, I will update tonight, and get them on the swing weight scale for you.

Working on it, have been buttoning up a few other reviews that will go up soon (UST V2 and SuperSpeed Golf) and managing the twins. But, I will update tonight, and get them on the swing weight scale for you.

No worries. I remember what one infant was like, never mind 2 at the same time. I’m looking forward to your thoughts!!

And I hit it from 172.

Yeah.

So you need like 5 or 6 wedges then

So you need like 5 or 6 wedges then
I've never understood this argument, it's a simple solution, have the ability to take something off your pw and play into the wedges as normal. It's easy. I've tested more iron sets across the spectrum than most hit in a lifetime and have NEVER had a gapping issue.

Back