Tour Edge HL3 Iron-Woods - THP Review Thread

So that's 2 HL3 clubs now where THPers have seen ballflight to the right, which is really, really interesting. Also erock, that's disappointing about the grip issue. You really wouldn't expect that out of a brand new club.

So that's 2 HL3 clubs now where THPers have seen ballflight to the right, which is really, really interesting. Also erock, that's disappointing about the grip issue. You really wouldn't expect that out of a brand new club.
Allow me to be the contrarian then hahaha.

I'll update tomorrow, but right isn't at all what I've seen here.

Allow me to be the contrarian then hahaha.

I'll update tomorrow, but right isn't at all what I've seen here.

Good to know. I fight the lefts with my driver & hybrid, but the rights with my irons. So def interested to hear your thoughts (especially with the irons in the other thread).

Hey hey! Update? Let's go!

Looks:

Let's be honest, the ironwood look isn't one that everyone is going to dig, but we know that the hollow body design is one that works extremely well, and providing it at this price point is brilliant by Tour Edge with the HL3's IMO. The topline here is obviously larger as illustrated in the pics in the OP, but its not altitude large in the 6/7 that I have here. Additionally, as erock mentioned the sole here is smaller and there is a much cleaner overall flow to the bevel of the sole and the shape in general. I also think the gloss black cavity looks pretty killer.

That said, there is clearly a good chunk of offset here and that might be an issue for those who fear the rights, but more on that soon. Typically, I'm not a big fan of yellow as an accent in clubs because it puts off a vibe of "cheaper", but the blend here is such that it isn't an issue IMO. The UST made for TE shafts match well, and the headcovers are slim enough (sock style) that they aren't space eaters in the bag. As for wear, so far so good, some brushing, but nothing that is what I would call overly done or out of the ordinary.

Performance:

Feel first? They sound much more normal than I anticipated, there's a higher pitch and sharper sensation to me, but it doesn't draw undue attention or issues. For a hollow body design I actually think they did a pretty killer job of taming that hollow connotation that sometimes can occur. More than that, the ball feels like it trampolines off the face, when you catch it, you know it. As is the nature of these types of irons though, the feedback on misses across the face is pretty blurred, with so much mass moved, a lot of things feel similar.

Now, the offset concern. I have had no issues losing these right, which is what I expected, but also I'm not seeing any pronounced hook issues (that said, its unpopular on the internet i know but most people hook offset clubs because of a setup issue), rather I'm getting a very neutral/straight flight that just tracks. I can work a ball with irons quite well, and as expected that is a bit reduced with the amount of perimeter weighting in these, I can turn the ball, but not as much as a spinnier/smaller iron.

Likewise, the ball gets UP. They launch the ball, to the point that I chuckled hitting peak heights with the 6i around 34y, which is super high for me with that club. But also, the spin is low enough that I haven't had any ballooning issues. In fact, the combo of launch and spin has lead to some really good distances. A combination of all these things are exactly what one would hope to see from the HL3's and something that I believe is going to help them turn some heads. They are battling at a price point others are, IMO, afraid to, and now they are bringing the things weekend golfers and other amateurs alike need (whether they admit it on the internet or not) like launch, distance, and forgiveness.

More soon, but if you have Q's, please fire away!

Good stuff Jman -
I removed the grip on mine that broke loose yesterday and about 4" from the top it appeared as if the tape was ripped off the shaft before they installed the grip. So no wonder why it slipped. I thought for sure maybe the tape was all squished down inside the grip but I checked and didn't see anything. So I replaced the tape and re-installed the grip.

I am getting out for a quick 9 today after work (finally some warmer dry temps here in OH). I brought along my Tude 6i, the HL3 6i and a Ping G 6i. If the course is empty, I will camp out on a few holes from 150 yds out and see what happens between the 3.

Little bumpity for that last update up there, going to update the irons thread here soon as well.

Great stuff Jman, my buddy who is 78 and LH got a 7 iron demo club and tried it for the 1st time and loved it.
His normal 7 iron (mcc18) is 120 yds, he was easily hitting this one 140 and a couple 150.
It has a senior flex shaft and I can see him with a full set shortly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great stuff Jman, my buddy who is 78 and LH got a 7 iron demo club and tried it for the 1st time and loved it.
His normal 7 iron (mcc18) is 120 yds, he was easily hitting this one 140 and a couple 150.
It has a senior flex shaft and I can see him with a full set shortly.

I totally believe it, they're going to not just hit a demographic, but they are going to hit it with more performance in this price point than I can recall seeing.

He also has the driver and will try it Friday, but he really does hit his driver well now (old callaway Diablo I think with a acura shaft.)

Great reviews erock & Jman! I love that erock's putting the clubs up against his Altitudes to see a side-by-side comparison. I almost want to get a set of these for when my brothers are in town (not really golfers).

James, I agree that for this category of club the HL3's are very attractive. I like the flight you're seeing too.

He also has the driver and will try it Friday, but he really does hit his driver well now (old callaway Diablo I think with a acura shaft.)

Curious to see if he sees the fade bias Canadan has been seeing out of that one.

Curious to see if he sees the fade bias Canadan has been seeing out of that one.
I will update on Friday

As mentioned the other day I was able to get onto the course to do some 6 iron testing last night.

The clubs I brought with me:

Cleveland Altitude - 27* - 37.75” - Steel R flex shaft 85g - D0 swing weight
Tour Edge HL3 Ironwood - 29* -37 7/8” – Steel KBS Tour 90R (95g) - D4 swing weight
Ping G - 27* - 37 5/8” – Steel AWT2.0 R flex (98g) – D0 swing weight

On 4 holes I went into the fairway and shot my laser to 153 yds (I usually allocate 150-155 for a 6i) and hit 2 balls with each club from that distance.

Hole #1 - level ground. Pin in the middle/front.

Altitude:
Shot 1 – Miss - Hard draw left of green pin high
Shot 2 – Miss - Hard draw long and left about 9 yds

HL3:
Shot 1 - GIR - beyond the pin about 5 yds and on the right side of the green
Shot 2 – Miss – Chunky, short left but with the pin up front would have been a good leave

G:
Shot 1 - GIR - pin high
Shot 2 - Miss - just off the green left and pin high

Hole #2 - level ground, ball slightly below my feet. Pin in middle/middle

Altitude:
Shot 1 – Miss - I caught heavy and came up short.
Shot 2 – Miss - pin high left (bunker)

HL3:
Shot 1 – Miss - Chunky and came up short.
Shot 2 – Miss - pin high left (bunker)

G:
Shot 1 – GIR
Shot 2 - GIR

Hole #3 slightly uphill shot, level ground. Pin left hand side of green and tight

Altitude:
Shot 1 – Miss – Left about pin high
Shot 2 – Miss – Left and long

HL3:
Shot 1 – GIR - 5' from the hole;
Shot 2 – Miss - long and left

G:
Shot 1 – Miss - Heavy short left
Shot 2 – Miss - pin high and just off the green to the left

Hole #4 - Par 3 over water (forced carry of 147-149) Pin was middle/left

Altitude:
Shot 1 – Miss - Snap hook into the water.
Shot 2 - GIR

HL3:
Shot 1 - GIR
Shot 2 – GIR - I thought was a miss right, but when I got to the green it was on

G:
Shot 1: GIR
Shot 2: GIR

So in terms of GIR:
Altitude- 1/8
HL3- 4/8
G- 5/8

I just realized that I should have added a shot or two from the rough. Sorry I have no experiences to share there.

The results were pretty baffling as at the range this offseason I hit the Altitude and new HB hands down better than the HL3 and G. I normally struggle with the G on the range as I seem to hit high pushes and push fades. Hitting the HL3 at the range too this week I saw some pushes and push fades. On the course I didn't notice that. Not one ball faded or sliced with any club. Sure a little push here or there but those still ended up on the green. With the G, the ball just seems to get up and just stay on its line. Very little side movement at all. I also thought the Altitude and HL3 would launch much higher than the G but I didn't see that at all. The G held it's own with launch.

As for the HL3, it does get the ball up in the air easily. Coming from the Altitude (minimal offset), the toughest thing with the HL3 and G are lining up with the offset they have. The thing that I noticed the most about the HL3 was the heft of the club. As mentioned in the specs above it swing weights at a D4 and the G and my Altitude (mine is -1/2) are D0, so they are much easier swinging clubs than the HL3 and much more what I am used to. I think the heft of HL3 is what led to a couple of the chunky shots. I think Tour Edge built the HL3 to be matched with the lighter graphite shaft. I believe they are building both the graphite and steel shafted clubs to the same length so that is why the steel version is likely swing weighting so high. I have to think their intended swing weight would be around a D2 and not D4. I bet if you measured a graphite it would be around a D2.

I love my Altitudes but the 6i over the past few years has been a feast or famine club for me. It’s usually is a GIR or a hard snap hook which is pretty much what I saw yesterday. I start my irons at a 6i, so that is why I am always chasing high lofted hybrids to see if they can beat the 6i out.

Compared to the Altitude, I felt like the G and HL3 had flights that were more predictable, especially the G. I felt like those shots were either going to be a GIR or just off. No major misses to deal with. I would have bet any amount of money the G would finish 3rd so that is why my results were baffling and surprising at the same time. I almost boxed up this G 6i to sell the other day because I was convinced it wouldn’t produce on the course. The reason I bought a 6i to try is because during my last round back in Nov I was on the course and struggling with my iron play and a guy I grouped up with had a set of G irons. He let me try his 7i and it was the best iron shot I hit all day. The 6i didn’t disappoint.

Sorry for rambling on so long. I hope someone gets something out of it.

Last edited:
Very interesting results for you erock. The G seems to be working with the HL3 in close contention.

I suspect you’re right about the swing weight on the HL3s, these seem like a perfect club for a graphite shaft. (I know I know, all clubs are perfect for the right graphite shaft. )

Numbers aside, did you feel like one club was “the club” for you?

Numbers aside, did you feel like one club was “the club” for you?

Too soon to tell honestly, especially given my small sample size. The thing about the Altitudes is since switching to them 4 seasons ago, my scores have improved immensely, especially with no lessons in that timeframe. The 7i-SW are always solid clubs for me but as mentioned the 6i is a feast or famine club. I actually would rather be 170-185 yds out hitting my 4 or 5h than from 155 out with my 6i. The confidence was never truly there.
I am definitely still considering the Cleveland HB's as I have been hitting them at the range ever since they came out. The 6i in that set seems to work better for me than my Tude 6i.

The HL3 - I really like the looks and it performed ok, but that swingweight deal might be a dealbreaker for me. I have tried graphite shafts in the past and it never goes well so that is not an option for me.

As for the G, it definitely warrants more testing. If I had a brand preference of irons it would be Ping. I grew up playing eye2 knockoffs so there is some nostalgia there. I like their finishes as they seem to hold up forever vs the chrome looking irons that look beat up after one range session. I did own a set of G25's when they came out but unfortunately was fit to them right before major swing changes so the set didn't last long because the specs were now all off for my swing.
I tried a set of Ping Raptures later on and the shaft in them (light Nippon) was a bad fit too. So I had sort of written off Ping until trying that guy's 7i back in Nov.
Positive experiences though the last two times trying them on the course definitely has brought them back into the mix. I would also like to try the G400 and G700's on the course before making a final decision for my iron set for 2018.

A bit off topic Erock but the Callaway BB OS 6 hybrid is an excellent club that can be had for not too bad right now

Will have these out again today, if you have any Q's on the HL3's throw them up in here or the iron thread!

I'd be curious the comparison between the stock UST graphite and stock kbs steel shaft options. I know the head's are different, but I'm curious differences you see on the shaft side of it.

Will have these out again today, if you have any Q's on the HL3's throw them up in here or the iron thread!

James, is your 6ironwood graphite shafted? If so can you throw it on the swing weight scale? Curious what it measures. The steel KBS Tour 90R was a D4.

Been a lot of years since gaming a TE “lift-off” ironwood but with this price point the new HL3 18* #2 sure is tempting as a driving iron. Hmmm

Had a chance to get the 6IW out to the range again today.

I was testing some other irons and had an epiphany with about 20 balls left to lower my hands a bit and it helped tremendously with shot quality.

With a few balls left I forgot I even had this club with me and I hit the last 5 balls with the 6IW. Definitely liked what I saw. Nice high flight with a baby draw and a very tight dispersion pattern.
I was honestly ready to write this club off but after seeing today's results its back in the mix for my 2018 irons search.

I just ordered a #3 today. It should be here by Wednesday. Can’t wait to try it out on the course.

Moved to the 7I-SW in these from my beloved Altitudes. I am keeping the Tudes, but wanted to try something different. I like offset in my clubs so this will not bother me since Tudes were not offset.

Back