Matrix Reign "Black" Shafts: THP Preview Thread

So, I'm to the point of writing this review now having played them both in two different heads and a myriad of different configurations in each head.

But, I FINALLY found some hard info on these in terms of spec's and though all of it will be included int he review which I would imagine will go up next week sometime, I wanted to share some ofthe info on these two shafts I got for this review.

As to the 70T, I was sent the X-Flex version, which interestingly enough has a lower butt and tip stiffness rating than the S-Flex version. It carries a 2.7 torque rating and more importantly, explaining much of what I saw, it is classified by Matrix as being low-mid in trajectory as compared to the "low" cover-all we were given initially. Explains a TON of what I saw with this during testing.

With the 60B, 2.9 torque and a mid trajectory rating which is also in line with what I saw.

As I said, thought some might be interested in this info which sort of changes the "low/low" moniker we initially were given.

Also, they are ONLY available in S and X flex.

Looking even more forward to getting this shaft in my hands after reading all the great information James posted about them again. Cally optifit adapter is on the way as well so should be taking some swings with it weekend after next.

My finished G-60T in a Alpha 815 head. Can't wait to swing it next Saturday!

605339197fadd13c77cb5e3eb5268459.jpg

First day out with my G-60T stiff flex today. Shocked is the first word that comes to mind. This shaft is billed as a lower launching, lower spinning shaft which frankly scared the heck out of me. I am by no stretch of the imagination a high ball hitter so I was expecting that this shaft would result in low bullets off the tee for me. The actual results were completely different than what I expected which James mentioned several times in his review posts. I was getting consistently higher ball flight with this shaft than with my mid launching Fujikura Speeder shafts in the same Alpha 815 head. I even carried a dog leg right today on a par 5 that I have not even attempted to carry in at least 5 years due to the height of the trees and the jail that results if you push the drive, come up short or hit it too low and bang into the trees. I was very impressed with the lack of side dispersion I got with this shaft also. I pulled a couple of drives and pushed one due to not the best swings but no big sweeping hooks that I am definitely prone too a little more often than I like to think about. Just hit several high, controlled draws that I can certainly live with. Based on my initial outing, I think this shaft has a chance to be a definite weapon for me once I get it dialed in.

Nice dude! Glad I'm not crazy! Enjoy it!!!!!!

Definitely have a love / hate relationship with this shaft. When I am swinging good, it is incredible. If my swing is just a little off, I struggle mightily getting anything out of this shaft. I know this is true with about any shaft or club, but it just seems to be a little more pronounced for me with this shaft. Certainly will not give up it though because the results when my swing is good are just magnificent.

I know I’m late to this party, but I just picked up a G-60T for my 917 D3. I will report my findings soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After playing 2 rounds with it I have noticed a couple of things. The ball flight has come down a bit, but the biggest thing I noticed is more rollout by at least 15 yards. With my Speed Rulz C-Type 70 Stiff I was only getting about 5 yards of rollout. The feel of this shaft is tremendous.

After playing 2 rounds with it I have noticed a couple of things. The ball flight has come down a bit, but the biggest thing I noticed is more rollout by at least 15 yards. With my Speed Rulz C-Type 70 Stiff I was only getting about 5 yards of rollout. The feel of this shaft is tremendous.

I concur with you completely on the amazing feel of this shaft. I never noticed a lower ball flight when compared to other shafts I tried in my GBB. The other 2 I tried had mid launch / mid spin and mid - high launch / mid spin so it would have reasoned that I would have seen a little lower ball flight. Have a Mizuno adapter jusr have not put it on the Reign Black shaft yet to try it in the JPX-900 head.

Back