Tour Edge HL3 Iron-Woods - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review are both the new HL3 Iron-Woods and Irons from Tour Edge's "Hot Launch" lineup of clubs. There has been a LOT of buzz post PGA Show about the HL3 lineup form Tour Edge as they have put together clubs that have looks, technology, and are all placed at an incredible price point.

This thread is going to play host to both the Iron-Woods specifically as I will be doing individual reviews on each of these, but both can be freely discussed in each thread. Tour Edge sent into THP 6-7 HL3 Iron-Woods, and 8-PW HL3 Irons. The Iron-Woods are paired with the Tour Edge branded UST Mamiya graphite shafts, and the Irons with the KBS Tour 90 shafts.

Tour Edge on the HL3 Iron-Woods:

The Hot Launch HL3 Iron-Wood is available individually or as a complete set.

The newly designed series features increased head volumes for added forgiveness and a redesigned forged face that is thinner for a greater trampoline effect and added distance.

This amazingly easy to hit club is made of a hollow hyper steel body with a thin forged steel face with Variable face thickness technology provides more contact points on the face that provide better off-center hit distance.

Another HL3 ‘TechAdvantage’ is the heavy sole that positions more weight below the ball for higher flying shots.

Experience the increased launch and extreme forgiveness of the HL3 Iron-Wood!

Price: $529.99/$579.99 (7-Piece - Steel/Graphite)

Specifications:

MODEL
LOFT
LIE
GRAPHITE LENGTH
FLEX
18°
59.5°
39.75"
L,A,R,S
20°
60°
39.25"
L,A,R,S
23°
60.5°
38.75"
L,A,R,S
26°
61.0°
38.25"
L,A,R,S
29°
62°
37.75"
L,A,R,S
32°
62.5°
37.25"
L,A,R,S
36°
63°
36.75"
L,A,R,S
40°
63.5°
36.25"
L,A,R,S
PW
44°
64°
35.75"
L,A,R,S
AW
49°
64°
35.75"
L,A,R,S
SW
54°
64°
35.75"
L,A,R,S
LW
59°
64°
35.75"
L,A,R,S

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0211-XL.jpg

DSC_0212-XL.jpg

DSC_0213-XL.jpg

DSC_0214-XL.jpg

DSC_0215-XL.jpg

DSC_0216-XL.jpg

DSC_0217-XL.jpg

DSC_0218-XL.jpg

DSC_0219-XL.jpg

DSC_0220-XL.jpg

DSC_0221-XL.jpg

DSC_0222-XL.jpg

Look forward to the review. Thanks for adding in loft info in the opening post. Great for quick reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Look forward to the review. Thanks for adding in loft info in the opening post. Great for quick reference

Thank you! Looking forward to hitting them this week. Definitely more offset here than I prefer, but I still think these look really good.

Jman - you should take Tour Edge’s promotional pictures. That neon green or yellow looks much better here and in person than on their website. I saw these in the shop today and the color isn’t as “in your face” as I thought. I was honestly expecting Nike Vapor green/yellow and was surprised.

Didn’t have time to hit them today, maybe next time out.

Nice pix and chart James! As someone who spent some time with the Cleveland Altitudes in years past, I'm curious to see what parallels you see between the two, and what differences you notice. I'm guessing offset is greater with the TE iron-woods?

• Staff
Nice pix and chart James! As someone who spent some time with the Cleveland Altitudes in years past, I'm curious to see what parallels you see between the two, and what differences you notice. I'm guessing offset is greater with the TE iron-woods?

Way more offset, but to be fair, the Alts have no offset.

There was so much love for the Altitudes on THP; will the Ironwoods do the same?

Following this one closely - I know more people that can use these than, say, the latest blades lol!

• Staff
There was so much love for the Altitudes on THP; will the Ironwoods do the same?

Following this one closely - I know more people that can use these than, say, the latest blades lol!

I don't know. I do know that the price is right. Hoping to hit these some today and tomorrow, most curious about the sound if I'm being honest. I have no doubt they will go HIGH and FAR.

6 ironwood ordered yesterday. Can’t wait to try it. Thinking either these or the HB’s replace my Altitudes this season.

6 ironwood ordered yesterday. Can’t wait to try it. Thinking either these or the HB’s replace my Altitudes this season.

I'm eager to see what you think, particularly on the feel/sound.

I got out with them once thusfar before the ice hit, so I want to wait to really get into that. But, launch is what you would expect, its easy, and the distance is there. Personally, the offset gets to me a bit, but thats a ME thing, for the demographic and price point these hit, its no more or less offset than I would expect.

I like the finish of the cavity as compared to the "roughness" of the Altitudes. These actually look finished.

I like the finish of the cavity as compared to the "roughness" of the Altitudes. These actually look finished.

Yeah, they really do, and they're as clean in hand as in the pics in that region of the club. I should add, they DID come with simple hybrid/sock headcovers.

Yeah, they really do, and they're as clean in hand as in the pics in that region of the club. I should add, they DID come with simple hybrid/sock headcovers.

That's a nice touch with the covers, especially if they are simple. Altitudes with headcovers had the staff bag overflowing. LOL

James, do you think they'd be too big/offset in the wedges, say GW, SW and/or LW?

That's a nice touch with the covers, especially if they are simple. Altitudes with headcovers had the staff bag overflowing. LOL

Here’s a pic of the ironwood covers

aed5bbb6c3d5a0ded84955e4ab900efa.jpg

The current version from Cleveland is not rough either. There are some construction differences, and I think at setup some will notice a difference there as well, but nice to have some more hollow body designs that really put the emphasis on assistance for the golfer.

The current version from Cleveland is not rough either. There are some construction differences, and I think at setup some will notice a difference there as well, but nice to have some more hollow body designs that really put the emphasis on assistance for the golfer.

Cool, hadn't seen in person (HB's) but glad to hear they improved that a bit. Couldn't agree more on the hollow body designs, may not meet the eye test for many but man they sure can perform.

Cool, hadn't seen in person (HB's) but glad to hear they improved that a bit. Couldn't agree more on the hollow body designs, may not meet the eye test for many but man they sure can perform.

FWIW, I think these look more finished still than the cavity on the HB's.

FWIW, I think these look more finished still than the cavity on the HB's.

It's interesting how looks are so subjective.

I am a big fan of the lime accents on the HL3's but the gloss black on the back of the Ironwood I thought gave it a cheaper look. Compared to the satin finish on the HB cavity which I thought looked much more refined.

I wonder how the gloss black fill will hold up if you don't use the covers with bag chatter. I have seen some prior generation Hot Launch Iron wood sets on the used rack and they looked like they were drug behind a car. Paint chips were prevalent. If these perform good enough and I go this direction instead of the HB's I have thought about stripping the gloss black off giving it a more raw look similar to the Cleveland Mashies. Especially if the gloss black chips.

I can't vouch for the new HB's but with the Cleveland Altitudes, that matte (or what looks like a powder coated finish) really held up well compared to the old painted hibore irons.
I have gamed my Tudes for 4 seasons now and I wouldn't call the wear excessive.

It's interesting how looks are so subjective.

I am a big fan of the lime accents on the HL3's but the gloss black on the back of the Ironwood I thought gave it a cheaper look. Compared to the satin finish on the HB cavity which I thought looked much more refined.

I wonder how the gloss black fill will hold up if you don't use the covers with bag chatter. I have seen some prior generation Hot Launch Iron wood sets on the used rack and they looked like they were drug behind a car. Paint chips were prevalent. If these perform good enough and I go this direction instead of the HB's I have thought about stripping the gloss black off giving it a more raw look similar to the Cleveland Mashies. Especially if the gloss black chips.

I can't vouch for the new HB's but with the Cleveland Altitudes, that matte (or what looks like a powder coated finish) really held up well compared to the old painted hibore irons.
I have gamed my Tudes for 4 seasons now and I wouldn't call the wear excessive.

I'll be able to tell you because I believe that iron covers are an abomination. :alien:

Honestly though, my point on these was that it actually ties in really really nicely, the lines where the black finish moves into the rest of the iron body is among the better ones I have seen for a hollow body iron. They're really good looking given the price point, surprisingly so.

I'll be able to tell you because I believe that iron covers are an abomination. :alien:

Honestly though, my point on these was that it actually ties in really really nicely, the lines where the black finish moves into the rest of the iron body is among the better ones I have seen for a hollow body iron. They're really good looking given the price point, surprisingly so.

Definitely agree. Nice looking stick for an SGI club. I’m just not a huge fan of gloss paint. I prefer matte in my metalwoods so that just carried over to this.
Curious to hear how the paint holds up.

These look awesome in person, no too big and the color isn't too distracting at all, only the KBS steel to hit, but liked what I saw from the 9i, actually not as long as the CBX 9 for me, but launched quite a big higher for me. Could see how a full or combo set would be a real winner.

Somebody had asked me how these compared looks wise to the Altitude irons.

Here’s some specs and pics of the HL3 6i vs the Altitude 6i

HL3 6 ironwood:
Topline: 5/8”
Face width: 3 1/4”
Hitting area square: 2 3/8”
Sole width in middle: 1 1/2”
Face height in center: 1 5/8”
Length: 37 7/8” to top of grip.
Swing weigh: D4
Shaft: KBS Tour 90 R

Altitude 6i
Topline: 1/2”
Face width: 3 1/4”
Hitting area square: 2 5/16”
Sole width in middle:1 5/8”
Face height in center: 1 5/8”
Length: 37 3/4” to top of grip (Mine is -1/2”)
Swing weight: D0
Shaft: Stock steel 85 R flex.

So overall the HL3 has a slightly smaller profile, slightly thinner topline, more rounded sole and more offset.

940ec3ba7b040ce37387b33dd77453ee.jpg

46307b0a4f114bf288d175f8a1ddbab1.jpg

b5825c8fe576ca33ac02c75d9734c88f.jpg

cf85f9f0093f76534cc7fd6895606d29.jpg

I'm eager to see what you think, particularly on the feel/sound.

I got out with them once thusfar before the ice hit, so I want to wait to really get into that. But, launch is what you would expect, its easy, and the distance is there. Personally, the offset gets to me a bit, but thats a ME thing, for the demographic and price point these hit, its no more or less offset than I would expect.

Had a chance to hit the Cleveland HB vs the HL3 today at the range.
Both in 6i (HB 27*, HL3 29*) and both with KBS Tour 90 R flex (95g) which is a mid-high launch shaft. A normal 6i usually carries about 150 for me. Maybe 155 if I step on it. Game Golf says I typically hit my Altitude 6i 157. I couldn't really judge distance today because they had limited flight balls out for the winter conditions.

I am not a big sound/feel guy, but nothing about either club was off putting.

Both launched very easy, but I hit the HB better for sure. The HB was pretty much straight and every now and then a baby draw which is similar to my Altitude. To where the HL3 was straight to a slight push or push fade. I may have hit a draw with only 1 or 2 shots with the HL3 and that was it. I also have a Ping G 6i that I mess around with from time to time and the flight of the HL3 reminded me of the G where it starts right and I expect it to draw and it simply doesn't. I think it's an offset deal. Coming from 4 seasons of minimal offset on the Altitudes, I think I have a hard time lining up irons with a good amount of offset. The odd thing is usually offset helps allow one to draw the ball, for me it seems the opposite as I have a hard time turning it over and it leads to high pushes.

I was about 25 balls in with the HL3, and the grip tape in the top hand of the grip must have broken loose because I could twist the grip all the way around. That was a let down, so I had to put it back in the bag and will fix it tonight.

Round 1 definitely went to the HB. Although I will admit I do like the looks of the HL3 better.

Great stuff Erock

Back