How Often Do You Practice Out Of Bunkers?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How often are you working on your sand game?

Not often enough, biggest reason is we don't have a practice bunker. That said, on slow or empty rounds its not uncommon for me to drop 10 or 15 into a greenside trap and try to get some work in.

Not enough at all. The 2 closest places practice wise to me do not have an area for that which just stinks. ANy course that I play if I get there early enough and there is one to practice from I will every time

Never, none of the ranges here have a practice bunker that is worth even stepping into.

About as often as I pray.

Of course, when actually in the bunker is when I start to pray. Funny how that works.

If the course has a good bunker practice area then I use it. I also practice on my home course when I'm just playing a slow 18. I wish I did it more, but my home course doesn't really have a good practice bunker.

Pretty much never. There is one practice facility around here that offers a bunker, and I rarely think about going there, mostly because I have a range thats closer that offers a grass range and the one with the bunker is all mats..

Oh and my bunker game is AWFUL, technique, setup and everything just feels wrong about it. Hell doesnt even feel like Im opening up the club face properly

The last time I worked on bunker shots was about 2 months ago. I have always been comfortable in the bunkers, sometimes more so that the rough.

Every time I hit the range, so about twice a week. My course has two practice bunkers and usually I will hit a small bucket from the sand as part of my short game work.

About as often as I'm practicing right now, which is never.

About 4 times per year. And the "practicing" involves hitting about 15-20 shots.

I wish I could more than I do. There's one practice range near me with bunkers that are worth practicing out of, and they aren't always open. On top of that a lot of courses that are slow enough to drop a few balls to practice have less than stellar traps

Rarely. Few practice bunkers at local ranges.

Not often enough. If my range session is going well I like to take the last 10-15 balls over to the bunker and hit them all once or twice until I'm comfortable. I find the sand conditions around here vary SO MUCH from day to day or from course to course that you really just need to have one technique that works for you and try to apply it everywhere.

At the range nearest my house they have a so so short game area with a few bunkers, so I end up spending a bit of time in there. I'd say about 30% of my short game practice time was in the bunkers.

My home course has a practice bunker by one of the greens so I could practice whenever I go to the range - notice I said 'could' practice, as I haven't spent a lot of time using it as the quality of the sand has not been the greatest this year

Also, the quality of the practice and course bunkers often varies from bunker to bunker so I try to adapt my technique depending on what I feel through my feet when I walk into it. My usual aim is just to get the ball out of the bunker and onto the green as I don't have the skill/knowledge to be able to understand what to expect from the ball when it hits the green and whether it will bite or release

rarely. none of the ranges here have any. most of the courses dont have that type of practice facility either.

Towards the end of the season, I started trying to hit a least a few every time I was at the course.

I was excited when I joined my course this spring because they had a short game practice area with a bunker, I tried to go a few times, but there was no sand in it, no way I could practice in that.

I did try to play a few shots from the bunkers when I was playing alone at nights though, if that counts

If the sand isn't wet, I'm in there. Every practice range in my area has practice bunkers, so it's easy to find a place to practice. I'm still a newb so I celebrate every time I don't thin it out!

Normally not more than a couple times a month but more this year because I've been teaching my 10 year old daughter how to play a greenside bunker shot. She has spent at least a few hours hitting bunker shots this summer and is now proficient at getting out of the bunker in 1 shot. Before kids it was pretty common for me to practice at least 30 minutes a week out of a bunker and I've maintained a pretty good level of bunker play the last 20 years.

I've been trying to at least hit a couple every time I go to the range, but that doesn't always work out. At least one every other session though is fair. I need the work!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Too little. Either a practice bunker is not available, or we're too in a hurry to tee off so I don't get an opportunity to practice.

Worse, there are all sorts of bunkers here, from hard middles with a shallow layer of fluffy sand, or coarse, gravely sand to fluffy lies to hardpan. Bunkers are also inconsistent,varying in hardness from one hole to another.

Not often enough, biggest reason is we don't have a practice bunker. That said, on slow or empty rounds its not uncommon for me to drop 10 or 15 into a greenside trap and try to get some work in.

Same here, I need to play alone a few rounds right now as my sand game is poor. I can always get it back with a practice round doing this in 3 or 5 bunkers.

Back