Biggest lessons you've learned while playing?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
I think many of us have played in some kind of golf match whether it be a friendly wager with your friends, a tournament or a THP event. What lessons have you learned in those experiences?

The match isn’t over til it’s over.

Golf is not baseball, the harder you swing doesn't make the golf ball go farther. Swing smooth, it's timing. Swinging hard doesn't get it done.

Never give up, as long as you can get a club on the ball you have a chance.

Can’t take shots off - need to be focused for every shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest lessons you've learned while playing?

I have a couple experiences from just last year that showed me the exact same lesson. The first time was during our league Match Play Championship, something I had never played in before. During the first round I was paired up against a guy that I believe was somewhere around a 10-12 handicap and I was giving him two strokes a side. It was about 43 degrees, windy and sprinkling. I was thinking that my experience and lower handicap should be a big advantage in those conditions. The guy comes out blazing and goes -1 on the first 3 holes. I'm immediately down 2 and start pushing hard and make mistakes because I stopped playing my game and got further behind. I kept the match going and eventually he came back to Earth and I pulled close but ultimately lost the match. Had I played my game the whole time and stopped trying to be a hero I don't think I would have lost so many holes early on and really think I could have won the match.

The same thing happened later that year and while both experiences really sucked at the time it's not something I plan on letting happen ever again.

When you get up in a match, don't let up!! Make the other guy catch you.

If your playing partner consistently shaves strokes in a casual round, there's a much higher probability he'll cut corners in [not so] tough situations off the course, compared to the golfer who counts everything.

Golf is not baseball, the harder you swing doesn't make the golf ball go farther. Swing smooth, it's timing. Swinging hard doesn't get it done.

Never give up, as long as you can get a club on the ball you have a chance.

I’ve only been golfing for a little over two years and nearly took me that time to learn this. From time to time I still catch myself trying to over swing and typically ends in bad results..

You miss 100% of the putts you leave short.

A bad putt is better than a bad chip. I say that to myself at least 3-4 times a round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patience. Its a tough one for me.

A bad putt is better than a bad chip. I say that to myself at least 3-4 times a round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You've never seen me putt .

Just make sure you never leave the cart in neutral when around mward.

Don’t throw a trantrum ever. You look ridiculous and every loses respect for you.

Your own mindset is the one thing you have complete control over. Know yourself and your tendencies and create a narrative that allows you to perform your best.
Example: some guys can't handle being "the favorite" in a match so they need to convince themselves they are an underdog.

Front pins over bunkers with too much sand hit lower trajectory so it doesn't plug if you come up short.

Make sure you have 14 clubs before you tee off, 13 sucks, 15 sucks more.

Every shot matters.
Have a short memory.
I like to chat when I'm playing.

I'm not good enough at this game to get mad over it when I'm not playing well.

If things start to go sideways, try to relax. Go for a short walk while everyone else is on the tee, have a drink, take some deep breaths. Try to get yourself back to a familiar place.

I was 3up through 5 at my first club championship after almost a HIO on #5 and really started leaking oil on #8. I kept hitting driver, even though it wasn't working and for the most part, I didn't need to. I should have hit 3w or 4i and gotten myself in the fairway and gone from there instead of putting myself out of position and practically out of the hole.

1)
I'm not good enough at this game to get mad over it when I'm not playing well.

First thing I thought of. I'm usually one to laugh instead of get angry when the wheels come off.

2) Focus on the right things on every shot.

Be in the moment once I step up to hit the ball - just feel it & swing. Don't think about how much I want to win, don't "try hard" to do too much. Separate desire for a result from the shot itself.

I love playing match play so it’s cool to see everyone learning lessons in those situations. Like in life the key to a match is to just keep doing what your good at, whether you lost the last hole or won it. It doesn’t help to try to go hero mode and it doesn’t help to play not to lose.

Don't talk while others are putting. Apparently they need to concentrate.

Back