Cobra King Forged Irons Preview

I've given up trying to understand or relate feel to others. I've got it down to two categories: good and bad.

Feel is sound.
Sound is personal preference.
Personal preference is magical.

Feel is sound.

I thought this was the internet where you weren't allowed to have differentiating opinions?

Whatever feel is or isn't, I am just super interested in hitting the CB/MB combo of the new King forged. I personally love the black and orange color scheme and would love to pair it with the black and orange NDMC's. That would be a killer combo.

Feel is sound.
For sure. Like I would consider "thwack" to be a harder feel, but that's just me. I figured that's why comparing them to a well-known club would be more useful information. I'm hoping "2013 Apex with more distance and a little better forgiveness" is useful to a lot of people.

Whatever feel is or isn't, I am just super interested in hitting the CB/MB combo of the new King forged. I personally love the black and orange color scheme and would love to pair it with the black and orange NDMC's. That would be a killer combo.
My coach *loved* these. They're too much club for me, and his only negative comment was "I'm not man enough to swing C-Tapers". That's definitely a shaft that doesn't work for everybody. I was surprised the C-Taper Lite in the Forged TEC worked for me as well as it did, but I don't plan to change shafts--I'll go with the CTL fitted to the right length for me.

For sure. Like I would consider "thwack" to be a harder feel, but that's just me. I figured that's why comparing them to a well-known club would be more useful information. I'm hoping "2013 Apex with more distance and a little better forgiveness" is useful to a lot of people.

My coach *loved* these. They're too much club for me, and his only negative comment was "I'm not man enough to swing C-Tapers". That's definitely a shaft that doesn't work for everybody. I was surprised the C-Taper Lite in the Forged TEC worked for me as well as it did, but I don't plan to change shafts--I'll go with the CTL fitted to the right length for me.

FWIW, the CT and CTL are completely different beasts in terms of where they sit on the spectrum. Seeing as the CTL are higher launching shafts, I'm not surprised they worked well for you, good stuff.

FWIW, the CT and CTL are completely different beasts in terms of where they sit on the spectrum. Seeing as the CTL are higher launching shafts, I'm not surprised they worked well for you, good stuff.
So different honestly surprised they used the same name for them as they are nothing alike.

So different honestly surprised they used the same name for them as they are nothing alike.

I said the same thing when they were introduced.
Yep, I'm there with both of you, and something that still makes me wonder. I know it's technically because of the constant taper design trait, but they (ctl) still get lumped in which the CTs because of the name alone.

On the irons, the Forged tec are meh for me in looks and such, the combos though, wowza.

Oddly enough I prefer the forged tech. But that might be because I think it's an iron I could game better.

Oddly enough I prefer the forged tech. But that might be because I think it's an iron I could game better.
I've been craving some players irons to tinker with now and again, I don't need them, but I want some.

#GluttonForPunishment

I've been craving some players irons to tinker with now and again, I don't need them, but I want some.

#GluttonForPunishment
I get that itch every now and then too. It reminds how bad my game is. #InstantRealityCheck

The combo or even a straight up set if CBs do look good and has me looking at them all the time. I like the looks of the Tec and like ddec gaming the combo would let me know my game isn't that good.

Hit the King forged tec Irons with KBS c taper light shafts yesterday and had to return again today and hit them again.I am currently gaming the 714 AP1 and was looking for something a little smaller in profile.The top line of the King forged tec are a bit thick, but the over all package is really nice.They seems as forgiving as my ap1. Maybe I need to put the c taper lite shaft into my Ap1.
dont really know how to describe the feel and looks,definitely say the are a players iron that you need to try.

Good thoughts.

Got these on my mind. I think I could rock a MB up to the 8-iron with ease.

I want to hit these so bad, I loved the S3pro's but the tungsten in these has me curious.

#GluttonForPunishment
If you want a true forged iron to tinker with grab some Golfworks DBM iron heads. Shockingly forgiving and with that missed the ball soft feel. It's a players iron that doesn't act like it. Cheap enough that you can was swap shafts once a month and just play with different combos.

Last edited:
What's your normal miss with an iron? I am intrigued on the Tec forged being as forgiving as the AP1!

-David

Hit the King forged tec Irons with KBS c taper light shafts yesterday and had to return again today and hit them again.I am currently gaming the 714 AP1 and was looking for something a little smaller in profile.The top line of the King forged tec are a bit thick, but the over all package is really nice.They seems as forgiving as my ap1. Maybe I need to put the c taper lite shaft into my Ap1.
dont really know how to describe the feel and looks,definitely say the are a players iron that you need to try.

What's your normal miss with an iron? I am intrigued on the Tec forged being as forgiving as the AP1!

-David

I was just sitting here thinking about a hybrid set of these with 4I Tec, 5-9I CBs, and W-GW MBs. I'd probably have to adjust the 4I loft a bit to create the right gap but I think it would make a great combo set.

I wish i had a 10th of the skill needed to game these.... they would look great in my bag..

saw the forged tec in a store today and had to swing them. These are so nice. Wish I would have never swung them.

I know the LTD has hit GS, just waiting for the rest of the line to hit. Don't see ANYTHING really pushing the J15CB...but these will be hit for sure.

-David

I can come up a bit fast out of my swing and thin a few,maybe the extra quarter inch on shaft help me keep the club lower.
over rotate as well and pull a few when I over swing although usually with solid contact.Both theses Irons when you connect to the sweet spot you know it and I am much more consistant with both theses sets of irons.

These look fantastic in Rickie's bag this week. Absolutely love the black.

Looks good.

My 1988 Cobras, however, haven't been knocked out of the bag, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back