TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Perhaps I should have been more careful with my words to make it clear those were the best ones and not imply they were averages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries all buddy, it was just a shocking number, but one still useful to you comparing with the other heads you hit on the same monitor.

Can't wait to see where this one goes! What did you see?

Carry of 250 to 260 on strikes that were not great. On better strikes carry of 270+. With the light shaft I was recording ss of 114 to 115, ball speeds of 150 to 155. Smash was around 1.3 to 1.35, man I can't imagine how good it could be if I can ever up that smash above 1.45. Ball marks on the face left about a 2 ball size oval near center (I think I hit the entire circumference around the sweet spot lol) and the flight didn't stray far from center unless I put a very poor face to path strike

Carry of 250 to 260 on strikes that were not great. On better strikes carry of 270+. With the light shaft I was recording ss of 114 to 115, ball speeds of 150 to 155. Smash was around 1.3 to 1.35, man I can't imagine how good it could be if I can ever up that smash above 1.45. Ball marks on the face left about a 2 ball size oval near center (I think I hit the entire circumference around the sweet spot lol) and the flight didn't stray far from center unless I put a very poor face to path strike

Really really interesting thoughts. I remember my VoiceCaddy offering around 1.3-1.4 smash on the R15 when I reviewed it, and my swing speed was way higher than i am used to seeing.

Good lord I need to hit this now. Let us know what happens tomorrow!

Really really interesting thoughts. I remember my VoiceCaddy offering around 1.3-1.4 smash on the R15 when I reviewed it, and my swing speed was way higher than i am used to seeing.

Good lord I need to hit this now. Let us know what happens tomorrow!
Will do :)

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

How wide was the gap, do you remember? Was there some decent retention of ball speed and smash across the face?

They were in the 230s for carry and in the 250s for projected total distance (which isn't anything special for me, just normal good). I hit one especially bad and my recollection is that it was about 20% less.

This facility has 4 outdoor TM machines and 3 of them were being used for fittings. I jumped in the 4th and was grabbing clubs. It wasn't the right environment to really try to assess retention across the face, etc

Any chance of swing video? Does the lightweight shaft cause any over the top issues.

Any chance of swing video? Does the lightweight shaft cause any over the top issues.

We will try to put a few vids up from the round tomorrow

This club has destroyed every other driver offering from the last few years for me (everyone will be different) I am FAR more consistent with it and have hit some huge drives with it. The amount of launch with the lack of spin I can get out of this is still amazing to me.

This club has destroyed every other driver offering from the last few years for me (everyone will be different) I am FAR more consistent with it and have hit some huge drives with it. The amount of launch with the lack of spin I can get out of this is still amazing to me.

Yup. Didn't realize how much I was leaving on the table.

I'm loving mine. I've gone through a few low in the face strikes and it just puts out lower than normal straight shots. When I connect well I'm also seeing carry distance comparable to total distance on my previous driver.

I finally get home to Thailand tomorrow and will be able to compare distances on well maintained courses as opposed to the local goat track here in Malaysia.

Hit the m1 on 11 holes today and was in the fairway 11 times. The fairways at buffalo ridge are generous but that's still a record for me. It was soft today (rained a lot yesterday) so not much roll but carry distance was on par with my j715. Excited to hit it again Tuesday

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hit this club 8 times thru 11. Missed 1 fw. Just hit way out on the toe and got 310 total in the fw
442ab8fcf376fb0895438fed91e14611.jpg

Hit the m1 on 11 holes today and was in the fairway 11 times. The fairways at buffalo ridge are generous but that's still a record for me. It was soft today (rained a lot yesterday) so not much roll but carry distance was on par with my j715. Excited to hit it again Tuesday

How did the forgiveness stack up to the j715?

Hit this club 8 times thru 11. Missed 1 fw. Just hit way out on the toe and got 310 total in the fw

Imagine if you only played this driver! Hahaha

How did the forgiveness stack up to the j715?
Much better foregiveness. I have the 430 and I am sure the 460 is even more foregiving.
The m1 spins a bit more than the 715 but the shafts have apart of that. I have a stiffer shaft in the 715.
Also I like the sound of the m1, it is muted a bit but I like that

nicely done Kang, Are you noticing any difference with the shaft change?

nicely done Kang, Are you noticing any difference with the shaft change?
I'm definitely swinging the 55g shaft faster. It's a very light setup but still have good swing weight

I'm definitely swinging the 55g shaft faster. It's a very light setup but still have good swing weight

Any visual increase in flight height or spin?

Had a good round with the M1 on Saturday shortest drive was 250 longest was 285(going into a slight breeze) I did not notice a huge difference on the course distance wise with the M1 vs the SLDR but the forgiveness was impressive i seemed to have the rights on most short but the rights were not as bad with the M1 as they are with the SLDR

Any visual increase in flight height or spin?

No. Definitely not spinning too much or too high flight. Set to 9.5, front weight 1 click draw, back weight in the middle. The head is very forgiving for me today

Kang I got a question for you. What other drivers have you played in the past that would give you a similar result on that kind of miss hit? I'm not doubting what you are reporting, just generally interested if you have seen any similar results on a strike like that with previous drivers.

Kang I got a question for you. What other drivers have you played in the past that would give you a similar result on that kind of miss hit? I'm not doubting what you are reporting, just generally interested if you have seen any similar results on a strike like that with previous drivers.
915 d2 and gbb shows similar forgiveness from what I remember. My swing has progressed and I'm sure that has a lot to do with results I'm seeing but this 460 head is pretty damn forgiving

915 d2 and gbb shows similar forgiveness from what I remember. My swing has progressed and I'm sure that has a lot to do with results I'm seeing but this 460 head is pretty damn forgiving

thanks buddy. I like that people are saying that. I've yet to swing one, but the talk of it being better in forgiveness gets me excited for it.

I have seen the same thing Kang. I sacrificed no forgiveness when moving from the srixon 545 to the M1 and I found the 545 to be extremely forgiving. What i did gain was launch, while dropping spin a bit, resulting in me getting a carry distance that was more towards the top limits of my swing speed range.

I've been gaming the Bridgestone J715 for the better part of the year, as well, and the M1 is a step forward in forgiveness. Don't get me wrong, I love the J715 and it was a big leap forward from the Callaway XR I played before that. I haven't been able to get on a LM to compare numbers but from what I've seen on the course I think spin is likely a tad lower with the M1...just a guess though. Like Shane mentioned, shafts will have something to do with that, but I've seen considerably better roll out with the M1 compared to the J715.

You should hit up the local golf shop and demo the M1. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

the only time I've seen one was when I couldn't swing a club yet. I do love the look of it. I don't have low expectations for it, I expect TM to put out a stronger product than the last 2 drivers with the sliding weight. It sounds like they have.

Back