Counter balance converted to standard putter?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
If you had a friend that was selling a 38” counter balanced putter, but you like a more standard length traditional putter, is there anything besides cutting down the shaft and putting on a new grip to consider? Surely there is, but I am not sure what I may be missing? Any help appreciated. Take the Scotty Cameron x5 Futura, are the weights heavier in the head on a counter balance? Or is the conversion process as simple as it seems on the surface? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Counter balance putters tend to be 380 - 410g. Standard putters tend to be closer to 355g. In a scotty cameron putter just removing the grip, the 50g back weight, and changing the weights in the head should get it back to normalish, you may have to change out the sole plate too if it's still too heavy. Unless you like heavy, I play at 35" and 370g normally.

Awesome man, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The head weight is definitely going to be heavier to account for the typically longer shaft and grip on a counterbalance putter. That said, a buddy of mine intentionally bought a Ping Ketsch counterbalance and cut it down for a heavier feeling head. If that's something you like or don't mind, then go for it.

Back