Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Easier to hit for me is the Heavenwood, as it just launches in the air and is so versatile. More loft and slightly larger are both going to make it slightly more forgiving, but they are both forgiving. I will have this same choice coming up at The Grandaddy, as 12 THPers get to choose everything in their bag and then play it out in California, and I think I am going with the Heavenwood.

Ok. Need some help choosing. I want a wood in the 19 degree range. I am trying to decide between the HW and the 5 wood. I have a low 90's driver ss so this would probably be the longest club in the bag besides the driver. Has anybody tried both and which is easier to hit and more forgiving? I know the HW is slightly larger head size but how does that affect playability? Does that make it more forgiving or something? It looks like the shaft lengths are about equal and I choke down usually anyway so that doesn't make any difference. Which would you pick and why?

Same driver swing speed as you.

I don't own either but my local store has the 3w, 5w and HW in R flex to demo. The 3w I didn't fair good with at all. Borrowed one to play a round with and it was just ok on the course. Shaft length is a bit much for me. Better off the tee than turf.

On the monitor the 5w at stock loft is the longest for me. Around 200 carry with some roll. If I added +2* loft it launches just has high as the HW. Also the 5w is 1/2" shorter than the HW making it more manageable for me. Don't sleep on the 5w.

Heavenwood is the easiest to hit out of those two for me by a large margin. I actually play my HW -1/2" so it's the same as the 5w I tried it against, but its the head size being a touch larger really helps me. HW all day and twice on Sunday for me, especially with the adjustability factor in it with this year's version.

Handled this yesterday. Loved the look at address. It just screams smash me. Very interested in swinging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavenwood is the easiest to hit out of those two for me by a large margin. I actually play my HW -1/2" so it's the same as the 5w I tried it against, but its the head size being a touch larger really helps me. HW all day and twice on Sunday for me, especially with the adjustability factor in it with this year's version.

Comparing apples to apples shaft length wise sure the HW would be easier. At stock length if you battle shaft length like I do the 5w all day unless your a low ball hitter and need 21-23* of launch.

Comparing apples to apples shaft length wise sure the HW would be easier. At stock length if you battle shaft length like I do the 5w all day unless your a low ball hitter and need 21-23* of launch.

1/2" isn't near as much as the mind lets one believe it is, but that argument is less enjoyable than shoving my hand into a tablesaw.

Besides that though, honest q, why not just choke down 1/2" if the HW is easier as you said?

Last edited:
1/2" isn't near as much as the mind lets one believe it is, but that argument is less enjoyable than shoving my hand into a tablesaw.

Besides that though, honest q, why not just choke down 1/2" if the HW is easier as you said?

When you're only 5'4" a 43" fairway is like trying to play a 48" driver. Also a 3w because of the shaft length is the most difficult club to hit for most capers.

Most of the time I play my fairway wood no matter the loft around 41" so the longer the stock length the more issues I have with too light a swing weight after shortening that much. A 5w would have more head weight than the HW so it's more conducive to a shorter build.

As for the table saw joke that doesn't sit well with me as I suffered a pretty bad shop accident in high school where I lost the tip of my pointer finger, cut through the bone on my middle finger and chewed up my ring finger. A metal pin, 100 stitches and plastic surgery got put back together and lucky to be able to even swing a club.

When you're only 5'4" a 43" fairway is like trying to play a 48" driver. Also a 3w because of the shaft length is the most difficult club to hit for most capers.

Most of the time I play my fairway wood no matter the loft around 41" so the longer the stock length the more issues I have with too light a swing weight after shortening that much. A 5w would have more head weight than the HW so it's more conducive to a shorter build.

As for the table saw joke that doesn't sit well with me as I suffered a pretty bad shop accident in high school where I lost the tip of my pointer finger, cut through the bone on my middle finger and chewed up my ring finger. A metal pin, 100 stitches and plastic surgery got put back together and lucky to be able to even swing a club.

Ah, you didn't mention playing it at 41 makes sense. FWIW though the HW is only 1/4 longer than the 5w in the GBB line so you'd see nearly an identical sw change.

I believe though that the GBB HW is heavier than you think, and makes sense since it's 20cc bigger. I need to get a 5w head to weigh soon bc I'm curious now, maybe I'll hit Cally up on Twitter. In the end though, all that matters is playing what works for you.

As for the "joke", I'm sure you understand that there's zero way for me to know that, that said both my Gpa and FIL have lost digits to table saws and it's still a thing we say.

Enjoy that 5w dude, the GBB fairway line is legit.

Ah, you didn't mention playing it at 41 makes sense. FWIW though the HW is only 1/4 longer than the 5w in the GBB line so you'd see nearly an identical sw change.

I believe though that the GBB HW is heavier than you think, and makes sense since it's 20cc bigger. I need to get a 5w head to weigh soon bc I'm curious now, maybe I'll hit Cally up on Twitter. In the end though, all that matters is playing what works for you.

As for the "joke", I'm sure you understand that there's zero way for me to know that, that said both my Gpa and FIL have lost digits to table saws and it's still a thing we say.

Enjoy that 5w dude, the GBB fairway line is legit.

I was just messing with ya on the table saw. You had no way of knowing. Just glad I can still swing a club. Just hurts when it gets real cold out.

I'm not sure what the GBB HW head weights but the v series HW head was 210g. So essentially a 3w weight head which makes sense given the 43" built.

I'd think the GBB 5w is at least 220g
But I could be wrong. Let me know if you find out. Thanks

For those interested in a Heavenwood/Divine9 comparison...

15-0392_GBBHW_vs_D9_FinalWeb.jpeg

Hahaha, that is awesome Ethan, love the "tale of the tape".

Love me some tale of the tape.

For those interested in a Heavenwood/Divine9 comparison...

15-0392_GBBHW_vs_D9_FinalWeb.jpeg

Based on this, and my love for all things Heavenwood, I kind of want to take some cracks with the Divine 9.

Based on this, and my love for all things Heavenwood, I kind of want to take some cracks with the Divine 9.
I know a guy. Well so do you of course.

AJ has expressed serious interest in putting one in the bag. Can you imagine how high the ball would go for a guy with 105+ driver swing speed? You could certainly hold some hard greens with that kind of altitude.

Each and every day I lean more and more towards going HW and D9 in my #TheGrandaddy bag.

AJ has expressed serious interest in putting one in the bag. Can you imagine how high the ball would go for a guy with 105+ driver swing speed? You could certainly hold some hard greens with that kind of altitude.
Without a doubt. Heck I see how high mine goes and my driver SS isn't quite 100.

Playing in FL with no roll and softer turf, I have learned to love the Heavenwood for this very reason. It seems like it would fill a gap for me if I wanted to rearrange.
Plus, when hitting the green, I want to yell "Make it rain"...

He'd probably love it. I can just see it now..

"Yo, watch me hit this ball over those mountains"

"Hey yo, you think they can get me a drink delivered before this baby lands?"

I can actually see him saying the second one.
I think I need to hit some Divine9 now. Might make that happen this weekend.

Heaven wood lasted 3 rounds and has been jettisoned. The occasional good shot could not overcome how uncomfortable I was with this club in my hand. Put the V-Series 5 wood back in the back and feel more confident. Kinda forgot how good the club feels when struck well.

I can actually see him saying the second one.
I think I need to hit some Divine9 now. Might make that happen this weekend.
You and me both. I need to find one to tinker with somehow.
Heaven wood lasted 3 rounds and has been jettisoned. The occasional good shot could not overcome how uncomfortable I was with this club in my hand. Put the V-Series 5 wood back in the back and feel more confident. Kinda forgot how good the club feels when struck well.

FWIW, I did the same think with the HW when I got it, went back to my g30 5w after 3 rounds and really only a handful of swings. Best thing I did was take it out again to the range and course before giving it away, changed everything, got comfy and found a weapon. But we all have our wants/needs, and they def all vary, for me the GBB line of fairways took the V-Series versatility and melded it with filthy xr distance, craziness.

You and me both. I need to find one to tinker with somehow.

FWIW, I did the same think with the HW when I got it, went back to my g30 5w after 3 rounds and really only a handful of swings. Best thing I did was take it out again to the range and course before giving it away, changed everything, got comfy and found a weapon. But we all have our wants/needs, and they def all vary, for me the GBB line of fairways took the V-Series versatility and melded it with filthy xr distance, craziness.

Thanks - when I get back into town I'm going to put another shaft in and see how it holds up. The lightweight Bassara in the V-Series is a fun and stable shaft and I'd like to see how it pairs to the heaven wood.

GBB vs XR. What is the difference. Of course adjustability. But is XR less forgiving ? It is a shallow face and easy to hit. Will GBB have an advantage in forgiveness ?

I tipped and cut to length my 2 PX LZ60 shafts correctly for the 3 & 5 woods and wow what a difference, gained yards and control with both clubs. I was thinking of bailing on both of them and going to the 816 Model, not for a while now that I see what they can do set up correctly.

Back