What just happened?

Jackf

Reaction score
Handicap
I shot 102 on a course that I normally shoot in the mid to low 80's on yesterday. Everything seemed to go wrong, my drives missed the fairway, if I was in the fairway my fairway woods made worms duck, approach shots rolled off the green, putts broke in seemingly impossible directions. I'm going back out today but self-confidence is not exactly at a high. Have you had similar disasters and how did you recover?
On a brighter side it's November and we're stll playing golf in 60* weather.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sh*t happens... :) I try to forget these rounds and come back to the "basics" ! It usually happens to me after I played a good round.

Quicksand. Once you get in it and start to fight it, the worse it gets. It happens to everyone

Golf happened

When the wheels fall off that bad, I'll choke WAY up and swing 3/4. It's usually a quick fix to start hitting solidly and in play.

I feel your pain and this always reminds me to keep it fun. I never listen when it happens because this can't be me...haha. Go out with a fresh mindset and swing easy next round but don't jump to fixing things if you don't get the result you want...play what you brought that day.

Will try this myself today..stupid 4 letters being taken.

I've been there for sure, I bet we all have. Good luck today!

Before the round, was there something bothering you outside of golf. Did you have an argument with the wife, a problem at work.etc. Sometimes, whether we realize it or not, what happens off the course can impact what happens on the course. If not just chalk it up to a bad day, it even happens to the pros.

My last 4 rounds:

Hit a rough patch with the 96 and 87, but just ignored the rounds as if they never happened and sure enough everything went back to normal

This happened to me, I was playing a course that I normally do pretty well on. Couldn't drive, couldn't chip,g nothing. My buddy told me half way through, forget this round. But what you should do is take this time to use different clubs than you normally would on each shot just to try something different. I ended up hitting par on the last 2 holes.

That's happened to me before for sure. Thinking about what's going on and fighting to fix it always makes it worse for me. I've been working on trying to forget the last shot/hole and just move on. But, definitely can be harder to do this when every single thing is off. It's nice to have at least one good thing to focus on.

Unfortunately this is the rough and cruel game sometimes. Hit the range and practice some of the misses you were seeing. Next round you will be back in the swing of things

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it was an anomaly. Put it out of your mind and keep grinding next time out. This happens to all of us at some point in time.

The joys of golf. I was playing well then for a few rounds lately I hit a streak of not being able to make par and had scores 87+.

Don't let it get in your head. Everyone has a bad day every now and then and some more often than others.

Stuff happens. I shot an 87(15 shots over my index) in the morning one day last spring, grabbed a quick sandwich after the round to eat in the cart and went straight back to the 1st tee for another round. Shot 73 on the second round, same day, no adjustments, no change in weather or pace of play. Funny game.

Don't worry about it man! It really does happen to everyone! Somedays you go out there and its like you have never picked up a club and the next day its back to normal. That's golf and that's why I love it!

TV h

Thanks for the encouragement, I did manage to shoot a 91 today, putting was off but I was hitting fairways again and the woods were in the air. Will try again tomorrow, one of the advantages of being retired is that if the weather is not impossible you can play. As one of my playing companions said "103 still beats working".

Been there before, my friend. This last summer, the day before the KC Invitational I shot a 96! The day of the Invitational, I (we) shot a 74.

Yep, there will be days like that.

I don't let those days bother me. I'm out playing golf, I'm exercising. Still a win for me.

golf is hard.

Back