Take an Optimal Results Key When Demoing?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
One of the biggest discussion factors of launch monitors, especially those at big box retailers, revolves around being "juiced" for numbers or having locked in factors (smash factor, wind, concrete fairways). Recently I messed around with my SkyTrak unit, producing results of 360 yard drivers and 280 yard 4 irons thanks to elevation and wind. While it was entertaining, it started making me wonder if we really know what our capabilities as golfers are. Enter a delightful Trackman Optimizer;

TrackMan-Page-1.png

TrackMan-Page-2.png

I've always found these numbers to be relatively accurate give or take some small elements like ball speed (depending on my smash) and carry (depending on my spin). My question to you guys is, how much do you rely on realistic numbers for your demoing versus charts like this that show optimal launch settings? Do you go in educated or relying on the monitors at the store?

I don't think I'm "educated" in that sense but I get the spin rates and such when the guy brings them up but honestly I will always take monitors with a grain of salt because it's jsut not the same as hitting a ball on a range or on course.

I don't rely on a store monitor for anything but rather an optimal idea like you shared above. The numbers for a 95 MPH SS is about all I can expect on a good shot. Sure, certain course conditions can provide some crazy results but give me 225 carry and 250 overall and I'm a very happy camper.

i have a really hard time with that chart just because it's been a bit since I've been on trackman and dont remember some of my numbers.

This is good information Canadan, and one of the reasons that THP has a FlightScope at most of the events and every staff writer is equipped with a launch monitor. Too many times we see people angry over sim results or jubilent and with a closer look they might realize its neither. Seeing things like 50 yards of peak height with a stagnant smash factor and more carry than is physically possible is very normal at some places.

Last year THP did a test at three different stores and only one of them had a launch monitor functioning "properly". One was undercutting users by a huge amount due to having it too close to pick up real information and the other had elevation and conditions way out in left field giving distance about a 35% increase.

THP urges real world testing or gathering results from people you can trust to get you proper information on each club through testing. If you can make it out to an event, and want to test gear, do so. And then pay close attention to THP's Club Clash in 2016, where we change the game again by not dictating who gets a gold star, but letting regular golfers do the testing and reporting.

I only use the launch monitors at the PGA/Golfsmith to compare clubs to see what the differences are. Not really concerned that the distance is showing 300+ yards or 250 yards as long as they are close for each club I'm comparing. More interested in launch angle and spin.

I would love to get my hands on a Voice Caddy like devise and bring to those stores to also compare what the differences are. Maybe one day.

I only use the launch monitors at the PGA/Golfsmith to compare clubs to see what the differences are. Not really concerned that the distance is showing 300+ yards or 250 yards as long as they are close for each club I'm comparing. More interested in launch angle and spin.

I would love to get my hands on a Voice Caddy like devise and bring to those stores to also compare what the differences are. Maybe one day.

Like the SC100? I thought it was great until I used the device to measure my R15 numbers last year. It was spitting out 294 carry with a swing speed of 118-124mph. I WISH!!!

In a golf world where numbers are advancing every single year, the amount of misinformation can be terrifying -- intentional from the store, unintentional from the demo'er of clubs. It's why I like to hit my demos on the open range with my gamer in hand. The visual representation often outweighs the numbers.

Like the SC100? I thought it was great until I used the device to measure my R15 numbers last year. It was spitting out 294 carry with a swing speed of 118-124mph. I WISH!!!

In a golf world where numbers are advancing every single year, the amount of misinformation can be terrifying -- intentional from the store, unintentional from the demo'er of clubs. It's why I like to hit my demos on the open range with my gamer in hand. The visual representation often outweighs the numbers.

I'm really unfamiliar with the portable measuring devices out there right now to be honest. I just know a few people on THP have them and use them while on the range which I thought was pretty cool. But if those devices are just as "skewed" as the big store monitors then I'll keep my $$$ in my pocket!

I'm really unfamiliar with the portable measuring devices out there right now to be honest. I just know a few people on THP have them and use them while on the range which I thought was pretty cool. But if those devices are just as "skewed" as the big store monitors then I'll keep my $$$ in my pocket!

They have a couple of equations that make them slightly less than accurate, and I think they struggle with swing speeds above 105... but for the most part, based on their size, they are a really nice compact option to supplement a rangefinder during practice sessions.

It's been a while since I have hit anything on a store monitor, so it's not a concern for me. I always take whatever numbers I get with a grain of salt. The club where I play most my rounds allows you to demo on the range and take it to the course as well. Being able to see how the club performs in the real world is such a nice option to have.

Interesting charts to read for sure.

I would venture to say I go into and fitting pretty educated base on past experiences with my SC-100 and what I've seen translate on the course.

The numbers I'm really looking at are carry and spin when trying to figure out if a club works for me.

The Trackman chart you have in the OP is pretty close to what my last read out was with my SC-100 at 98-99 mph swing.

They have a couple of equations that make them slightly less than accurate, and I think they struggle with swing speeds above 105... but for the most part, based on their size, they are a really nice compact option to supplement a rangefinder during practice sessions.

I'm hoping these devices continue to improve. I would buy one but I'm hesitant they aren't that accurate.

I have never put much stock in charts or even number I see on devices. I know what I can and cannot do with every club in my bag. I've played golf many years and knowing your real numbers is key to consistent golf.

Maybe I'm hard headed, but I don't trust the numbers given by GC2. Maybe it has to do with having it set up properly though. I have used it to compare differences between clubs though like Nate is describing. At least that way I can see what club is most likely performing the best for me.

When I did my fitting at the Taylormade Performance Lab I was fit for the SLDR iron with KBS Tour X flex shafts. They use GC2 in conjunction with their own software/equipment and it was telling me I was carrying the SLDR 7i/KBS X shaft 190 something and that my 7 iron club head spead was 95+. I've always wondered if my club head speed was really 95+ or if I was just getting good ball speeds from the GI iron which made the GC2 put out false numbers.

I'm hoping these devices continue to improve. I would buy one but I'm hesitant they aren't that accurate.

They will. I am confident of that... And even if the cheaper models don't, they are bound to bridge the gap between the Cadillacs like Trackman or FlightScope and something we can actually afford as consumers.

This is good information Canadan, and one of the reasons that THP has a FlightScope at most of the events and every staff writer is equipped with a launch monitor. Too many times we see people angry over sim results or jubilent and with a closer look they might realize its neither. Seeing things like 50 yards of peak height with a stagnant smash factor and more carry than is physically possible is very normal at some places.

Last year THP did a test at three different stores and only one of them had a launch monitor functioning "properly". One was undercutting users by a huge amount due to having it too close to pick up real information and the other had elevation and conditions way out in left field giving distance about a 35% increase.

THP urges real world testing or gathering results from people you can trust to get you proper information on each club through testing. If you can make it out to an event, and want to test gear, do so. And then pay close attention to THP's Club Clash in 2016, where we change the game again by not dictating who gets a gold star, but letting regular golfers do the testing and reporting.

That's a hell of a perk. Who has the Trackman 4 and do you want to come to San Diego for a quick vacation and round at Torrey Pines?

100% agreed. You hit indoors when you have to (i.e. at a local golf shop) and take their numbers with a grain of salt. Nothing beats a through club testing (i.e. outdoor range or on course).

I have learned so much recently by understanding what all these launch monitor "numbers" means.

Good thread Dan.

I've seen that chart before, and I'm like Cookie, if I can get a solid 95 mph swing and get 225'ish out of it I'm happy.

I try not to buy any driver based on LM results in the big box. I'll pay for somewhere that has a GC2 or Trackmank to get what I feel are realistic numbers.

I'm this. Although I never see 300+ yards on one haha.

I just look at swing speed and ball speed really. I know that I should be around 105mph swing speed with my BC+ so that helps me determine how much more club speed X driver is giving me and also lets me know if the monitor is actually working correctly (or close).

I wish I could get ball speed up to 155-160 like that chart shows, I cant seem to get past 151 even with drivers that give me 110mph swing speed. Of course, its mostly Indian and not the arrow so...

really good thread. I have never really seen this but it makes a lot of sense. I have had a couple times where I go to demo a club and have good results, then it doesnt translate at all on the course for me. That is so beyond frustrating. Worst part is that no places around here will let you demo a club on the course/range, so you are basically stuck going off simulator numbers.

I try to be educated and I have rough idea of what my SS is and how I hit my current clubs. I try to use the data for comparisons to see how the driver(s) I'm demoing compare to what I have. I also prefer to demo outdoors so I can see ball flight on al my shots good and bad.

Having never been fitted for a driver (which is something I hope to change soon) I have no idea of where my numbers currently lie in relation to what the optimum might be, but I would want to have my current gamer with me to get a baseline before hitting a new driver so that I at least have something to compare it to

Back