3D print- club heads and shafts

TYork

Reaction score
I was watching the project x Handcrafted experience video (awesome BTW) and got to thinking about all the steps they take to make a shaft. I wonder if there will ever be a time in the future where we can just print out a shaft, putter head, even driver head. In the tech world they have been saying that one day 3D printers will be cheap enough for everyone to own one in their home.

Do you think the time will come where we just pay for the "plan" or model and we print our own clubs?

I mean, they are printing organs and plane and engine parts.....why not golf clubs?

Lastly- in my searching online all I could find was Pings 3D putter. Super cool!
https://3dprint.com/46036/golf-equipment-manufacturer-ping-introduces-golfs-first-3d-printed-putter/

I was watching the project x Handcrafted experience video (awesome BTW) and got to thinking about all the steps they take to make a shaft. I wonder if there will ever be a time in the future where we can just print out a shaft, putter head, even driver head. In the tech world they have been saying that one day 3D printers will be cheap enough for everyone to own one in their home.

Do you think the time will come where we just pay for the "plan" or model and we print our own clubs?

I mean, they are printing organs and plane and engine parts.....why not golf clubs?

Lastly- in my searching online all I could find was Pings 3D putter. Super cool!
https://3dprint.com/46036/golf-equipment-manufacturer-ping-introduces-golfs-first-3d-printed-putter/
I work with 3D printers and design and it is coming. However, I'd say something radical is going to have to happen in terms of materials. The shafts believe it or not are going to be the biggest issue. Printable heads could be any day with how affordable metal printers are becoming. When I started, metal printing was a million dollar plus machine and limited materials. Now the materials are much more broad, and the machines are more affordable there are a couple in the 1-150,000 range. It's possible to print 3D carbon fiber, in fact I'll likely have one as soon as next year, however not in the way/directing needed for a shaft, could happen but not tomorrow.

I work with 3D printers and design and it is coming. However, I'd say something radical is going to have to happen in terms of materials. The shafts believe it or not are going to be the biggest issue. Printable heads could be any day with how affordable metal printers are becoming. When I started, metal printing was a million dollar plus machine and limited materials. Now the materials are much more broad, and the machines are more affordable there are a couple in the 1-150,000 range. It's possible to print 3D carbon fiber, in fact I'll likely have one as soon as next year, however not in the way/directing needed for a shaft, could happen but not tomorrow.

very cool! I can only imagine how fun it would be to print a new club head. I cant wait to see what the future brings

A 3d printed putter is pretty sweet!

I have a putter head that I printed, but it's plastic probably wouldn't putt the best.

Back