XXIO Equipment & Ernie Els

When I was in Scotland at the end of June my golf clubs never arrived. The golf tour operator arranged a rental set for me, a brand new 2022 set of XXIO X clubs with stiff shafts, Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 & 4 hybrid, 5 iron through sand wedge. Cleveland Elevado frontline putter.

I played those clubs through 4 rounds of golf.

The shafts were extremely light, grips are thin, light and counterbalanced, and the swingweight is also lower than I am used to. The lofts are also strong, 29 degree 7 iron.

The iron shafts were 56 grams, hybrid shafts 49 grams, driver and fairway woods 46 grams. The regular flex shafts are even lighter.

It took a little while to figure out the yardages. These irons have hot faces, lots of tungsten and are chunkier than what I’m used to, but still good looking and the ball goes high and far.

The only area I really struggled with were the set wedges. Wide soles, lots of bounce, and no heel or toe relief. Decent for full shots, but not as good around the green for me.

These clubs, from driver down launched the ball much higher than normal for me, which was less than ideal on windy links style courses, but would be great in other settings.

The highlight for me was the putter. The guys I played with said I should keep the putter because I putted very well with it. In fact I had almost bought the exact putter a couple of years ago after picking one up from the putter corral at the PGA Tour Superstore and seemingly couldn’t miss with it then either.

XXIO is a premium brand. The clubs I used demonstrated that to me. They do what they say they do. They get the ball in the air easily and go far.

If you are a better player but are wanting or need to reduce some weight, pick up some swing speed, increase distance and are willing to pay for a premium set of clubs then you should know that these clubs are legit.

I might advise considering replacing a couple of the wedges with some of the specialty wedges from sister company Cleveland for more versatility around the greens.

For the demographic that these clubs are designed for they deliver.

Back