XXIO Equipment & Ernie Els

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
XXIO signs hall of famer Ernie Els to be their Global Ambassador and we get a chance to talk with Brian from XXIO to discuss the signing. The conversation doesn't stop there however, as we discuss the brand as a whole. Who is it designed for? What golfers fit into their moderate swing speed spectrum and more.

I expect big things from them this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice quick vid on XXIO's philosophy. I'm definitely in their "moderate swing" category (I think I top out around 93 mph) and it's good to see a brand acknowledge we're not all tour players out there on the weekends.,

Makes really good sense. Wish there was a place to demo their clubs closer to me!!

Guess now his nickname is the Big Zeckzio

Fupresti looks real comfortable doing these pieces. The point about The Big Easy’s smooth swing being a good fit for the brand makes sense.

I can easily relate to that 95 or less swing speed golfer. Sounds like they have a solid marketing philosophy and certainly have a great brand ambassador in The Big Easy.

Very cool, I think that's a great signing for them.

I know he’s deemed as an ambassador but I’d be interested to see what XXIO clubs he’s actually gaming now.

I really enjoyed the XXIO driver we tested at Club Clash and seriously considered purchasing one, but the price point was way out of my comfort zone. They make a heck of an easy to hit driver though.

So does Ernie now have a 95mph swing speed? Interesting how he's going to spread the word sporting his 113mph swing speed. But I do like that they are trying to attach themselves to someone on tour to help spread the word.

So does Ernie now have a 95mph swing speed? Interesting how he's going to spread the word sporting his 113mph swing speed. But I do like that they are trying to attach themselves to someone on tour to help spread the word.

As they said...Super smooth transition : )

It was great to meet Brian last year at The Shoot Out. Really bright guy and I agree with him that Els “easy and smooth swing” fits this brands mold. I am just slightly above their 95 mph threshold but I have no doubt I could still gain performance from their clubs.

Pretty cool to learn more about the relationship with him. It makes sense that his swing would transition to this lineup.

I definitely fit their profile (230 avg drive and 145 avg 7i) but for the life of me, why do they put such weak feeling shafts in their clubs?
I've hit last year's driver, fairway wood and hybrid and the shaft feels maybe a few cpm's firmer than my Orange Whip.
I think they would garner more interest from the 85-95 mph guys if they had a more normal-ish feeling shafts. Even the SR (Stiff Reg) they offer rivals a weaker feeling A flex to me.
The R flex was a non starter. Next to their bin was a Cobra Ladies driver and the shaft felt much firmer than the XXIO.
I saw the new line was out at my local fitting center. Gave the new driver a waggle and same old whip. Sure I could swap in an aftermarket shaft but when you are paying the premium for XXIO I would except shaft offerings to fit a wider spectrum of players. These seem to be more apt for people in the sub 85 mph range.

Ernie is known for his easy swing, perfect match for XXIO.

They couldn't have a better ambassador for their brand. Easy going, easy swinging Erinie. It will be interesting to see if their sales increase with Erinie swinging the XXIO.

I doubt that whatever Ernie will be playing will be available at retail. Despite his easy swing, his SS will be significantly higher then the current XXIO target market.

The inconsistency that I see in XXIO's market philosophy is that, although they design for the golfer with moderate swing speed, i.e. the average golfer, their clubs are simply not readily available to a good portion of that market, at least so far in this country. If you don't live in or near a good size city, you simply will not find their products to demo, or even see in hand.

The inconsistency that I see in XXIO's market philosophy is that, although they design for the golfer with moderate swing speed, i.e. the average golfer, their clubs are simply not readily available to a good portion of that market, at least so far in this country. If you don't live in or near a good size city, you simply will not find their products to demo, or even see in hand.
I was SHOCKED to see a whole section of our local golf shop dedicated to XXIO this past weekend. That being said, in my part of the country where the bulk of the golf is done over 4 to 5 months, I don't see many people paying their price tag, so who knows how long those clubs have been sitting in that display?

I forwarded this to my father just now. He ordered a X Driver today and is in love with this XXIO concept of light weight components and I am doing my best to encourage it.

This was a great signing for XXIO and falls in line with their concept of increasing their exposure outside of Asia.

I'm definitely part of XXIO's target demographic and I've found all of their clubs to be extremely easy to hit. I will agree that their price point is higher than what we are used to here in the U.S. However, they are comparably if not more reasonably priced than their JDM competition.

I was SHOCKED to see a whole section of our local golf shop dedicated to XXIO this past weekend. That being said, in my part of the country where the bulk of the golf is done over 4 to 5 months, I don't see many people paying their price tag, so who knows how long those clubs have been sitting in that display?

Shop up by me has a bunch of XXIO as well, and XXIO has come to the demo day they have there. So it does seem like they're making more of a push.

I've seen some PXG in people's bags that would honestly be better served by the XXIO setup, so I guess there are a few people out there if they can get the message across.

I know it is good for Ernie and he is a good man. But he has been with a slew of brands over the last twenty years. For me as a older guy his signing doesn't mean anything except that he is covered for retirement. Seriously if this doesn't work I hope he goes to Tour Edge next.

Does anyone know what XXIO clubs Ernie Els played during the 2022 British Open?

Back