luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Question - when you play a round of golf do you often notice that other golfers are usually waiting on the tee box behind you and pushing you even when there is no one playing in front of you? Be honest.

Nope.....we always try to push the pace of play.

If we are playing and a single comes up behind us they will not be waiting...they will be promptly getting waved through.

Nope. Very, very rarely do we ever get in a situation where we need to let people play through. I am very cognizant about what is happening behind me because the last thing I want to do is slow up faster player. I just wish others felt the same.

Question - when you play a round of golf do you often notice that other golfers are usually waiting on the tee box behind you and pushing you even when there is no one playing in front of you? Be honest.

Yep, I do. If I'm in a group that is playing slow it drives me crazy because I feel so guilty but if I'm staying on pace I'm not too bothered by it.

I'll notice when someone is behind me, but if I'm playing within the current pace of play I am not worried. Just because the players in front of me are playing faster or at break neck speed, doesn't mean i have to rush just to keep up.

Like #Cookie said, if a single comes around I'm not making him/her wait.

I'll notice when someone is behind me, but if I'm playing within the current pace of play I am not worried. Just because the players in front of me are playing faster or at break neck speed, doesn't mean i have to rush just to keep up.

These are my sentiments as well.

Never, the guys I play with re very fast and no one ever waits behind us. We do wait a lot behind others.

You certainly don't have to rush to keep up but that is what is wrong about courses establishing a "pace of play". There should be no reason a round of golf should take over 4 hours to play a round but courses set a pace of play at 4:15 or 4:30 and too many feel as long as there are on pace screw the group(s) behind them even if there is a gap in front of them. Right from the etiquette section of the Rules of Golf:

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

I think we all agree that golf is not meant to be played at warp speed, but by the same token it is not meant to be a funeral march either.

If you have lost ground on the ones in front whether you are playing, either in a group or as a single and you are holding folks up behind who are faster than you, let them play through. Simple as that.

That is basic golf etiquette, and one of my personal issues with a lot of golfers who simply do not posess 'golf common sense'.

When I started playing golf as an 10 year old I was told to 'keep behind the group in front, not in front of the group behind' and if that can't be done, call others through. That way everyone is happy.

If the group behind me is waiting consistently on the tee box, I'm playing too damn slow. And if there's no one in front of me, I shooter already let them play through.

Very rarely does my group have anyone waiting on us, but in the event a single or pair rolls up we tend to wave them through right away.

But asking who is a slow golfer on the internet is sort of like asking who the bad drivers are. The problem with slow play is that people don't realize they are slow. "I'm on pace" is the common response. I would suggest that if you're taking 4:30 on a standard course you and your group are slow.

I play in slow groups all the time, and I'm cognizant of it. I try to wave faster players through, and make the rest of the group aware we have people waiting on us.

Last round out I was paired with a heavier gentleman who could hardly keep pace walking and his more fit and experienced friend. Well the experienced guy kept giving me hints and critiquing my game (which was fair - I played like a@@) while we waited up for the slower player. Then the slow player would always practice putting after the hole while we held up the group behind. It was beyond uncomfortable.

if it happens, I'll notice it. there is one guy I play with that is... deliberate, and we always slow down when we play with him. when that happens, I tend to heckle him to no end, and rush my shots and play like crap

Nope....we keep up the Pace Picante. And if they are and we are under pace, I just keep doing what I’m doing.

If I have a group behind me waiting on me and no one is in front of me, I will wait at the following tee box and let them play through.
Sometimes a play a little slower just to enjoy the day but that doesn't mean I should hold everyone else up.

Slow pace is kryptonite when you come upon it mid round. If it's that way from the beginning adjustments can be made or calls to the club house to seek assistance. If it's our group and open in front you bet I'm all kinds of uncomfortable seeing people wait on us. If it doesn't improve after one hole I will suggest a wave through or picking up.

I don't but I play about 100 rounds per year and only a handful are over 4:05. 70% of my rounds as a 3 or foursome are under 3:40. I had a single on a cart try to push me last year when I was out late one hot summer evening when our course was empty. He didn't catch me as I finished 9 holes in 40 minutes. I think his cart was slower than mine!

I was pushed 1 time the entire last year but I play fast. This dude just played really fast. Let him through the second I realized he was faster than me. 98% of the time I am pushing.

Only when I play with certain people. It’s hard to get people to pick up the pace.

Only when playing in a group, occasionally. If it happens I’m usually the first to suggest letting them play through. When out as a single my biggest pet peeve is a slow group not letting me play through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play extremely quick especially if it's me by myself, so I'm usually the one pushing.

No, usually play fairly quickly and do most of the waiting. Although it does drive me a bit nuts when you I'm feeling pushed by golfers behind me. We always let people play through if there is room to do so but if the course is staked you can't do much. What I really hate is those that tee off behind me right after I start to move from hitting my shot down range.

No. My regular foursome plays fast, and I can't ever remember anyone waiting behind us, unless its a fast twosome or a single - in which case we wave them through.

Nope not with me. I try to keep my group moving. If someone is pushing us, it's because they are extremely fast or just a twosome and I am in a foursome. I will always let a faster group play through.

I’m usually by myself, so I’m usually the one waiting on the tee. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people that won’t wave you thru and ignore you’re even there

Sent from HTX

Back