True Spec vs Club Champion

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Has anyone done a fitting with both of these companies? If so what did you like and dislike. I'm planning to do a fitting here in Chicagoland soon and with both options available I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wish I could help but only been to club champion in Deerfield fitting was spot on.....I have a friend who swears by true spec and he has been fitted by both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been to both and liked both. I thought the Club Champion one was more thorough, but that could have been my instructor honestly.

I have been to both and liked both. I thought the Club Champion one was more thorough, but that could have been my instructor honestly.

I was planning to go The Kingdom for a fitting, but got a promo from Amex for a free iron or driver fitting at Club Champion. Really curious to see which would be a better go after given the new tech. I need to address both as my swing has changed a good bit since getting fit. I am leaning towards irons tho.

Ended up doing a fitting with Mike at the Club Champion in Deerfield, IL and I honestly couldn't be happier with the choice I made! Walking in the bag looked like this…

Callawy Great Big Bertha 10.5° w/ ALDILA Rogue I/O (S)
Callawy Great Big Bertha 3FW w/ ALDILA Rogue Silver 110 MSI (S)
Callawy Big Bertha 3H/4H w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 (F4)
Callawy Apex CF16 5-AW w/KBS Tour V90 (S) AND Cobra F7 One Length w/Nippon Modulus3 Tour 120 (S)
Callawy MD3 Milled 56°/60° w/True Temper Dynamic Gold (W)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #7

The fitting session started with the Irons and the first thing we did was compare my two "gamer" sets to determine if One Length was a concept I wanted to buy into. It became clear pretty quickly that not only did I prefer the look and feel of the Apex, but I also hit them better than the F7s. At this point we had a baseline and the first thing we did was focus on shafts.

I probably hit 15 different shafts and in the end the winner was KBS Tour in Stiff. The heavier shaft helped my tempo and resulted in higher ball sped and smash factor. Then it was on to the heads. As much as I wanted to spend money we just couldn't beat out the Apex CF16 head so we decided to just re-shaft the irons and adjust the swingweight.

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW w/KBS Tour (S) [D5]

As for the wedges it was pretty much the same story. The heads/grooves were in tremendous shape and we didn't see the need to do anything other than re-shaft and adjust the swingweight.

Wedges: Callaway MD3 Milled 56°/60° w/KBS Tour (S) [D5]

At this point I was extremely tired and we decided to take a look at the putter fitting and come back another day for the long game. After getting hooked up on the SAM Putt Lab I was again extremely happy to see that we didn't need to make a change. This doesn't surprise me because I had recently been fit at Bettinardi's Studio B and they did amazing job. Still it was really nice to see that experience validated by the SAM.

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock #7

The second fitting session started by recapping the first session and doing a quick warm-up from there we moved into the driver. We probably went through 30 different setups before narrowing it down to Fujikura Pro 2.0 with either the Epic Subzero or the Rogue Subzero. I did get a little more ball speed with the Rogue, but I was seeing a much better launch angle with the Epic that just couldn't be argued with.

Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero w/Fujikura Pro 2.0 6 (S) [D6]

Next we looked at my fairway wood which is probably my favorite club in the bag. Last season I used that more on the teebox than my driver and it really was the closest thing to a weapon in my hands. Apparently Mike agreed because despite the various head/shaft combinations we tried we could just not beat it so the 3W is staying as is!

Fairway: Callawy Great Big Bertha 3FW w/ ALDILA Rogue Silver 110 MSI (S) [D4.5]

Finally this left us to look at the hybrids. We probably didn't try as many combinations as with the other clubs because it was evident very quickly that we found the right shaft when I hit the KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype. At that point it was settling on a head and we didn't see the need to change away from existing Big Berthas.

Hybrids: Callawy Big Bertha 3H/4H w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g (S) [D5]

So thanks to Mike for an awesome experience. It was amazing to spend so much time going through the bag (5 hours) and having such a thorouh experience. I really feel like we put together the best options for my game and that it was never about upselling. If my equipment was the best then we stayed with it. Looking forward to everything being done and going back in to do a run through on the TrackMan with each and every club to make sure gapping is on point!

Ended up doing a fitting with Mike at the Club Champion in Deerfield, IL and I honestly couldn't be happier with the choice I made! Walking in the bag looked like this…

Callawy Great Big Bertha 10.5° w/ ALDILA Rogue I/O (S)
Callawy Great Big Bertha 3FW w/ ALDILA Rogue Silver 110 MSI (S)
Callawy Big Bertha 3H/4H w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 (F4)
Callawy Apex CF16 5-AW w/KBS Tour V90 (S) AND Cobra F7 One Length w/Nippon Modulus3 Tour 120 (S)
Callawy MD3 Milled 56°/60° w/True Temper Dynamic Gold (W)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #7

The fitting session started with the Irons and the first thing we did was compare my two "gamer" sets to determine if One Length was a concept I wanted to buy into. It became clear pretty quickly that not only did I prefer the look and feel of the Apex, but I also hit them better than the F7s. At this point we had a baseline and the first thing we did was focus on shafts.

I probably hit 15 different shafts and in the end the winner was KBS Tour in Stiff. The heavier shaft helped my tempo and resulted in higher ball sped and smash factor. Then it was on to the heads. As much as I wanted to spend money we just couldn't beat out the Apex CF16 head so we decided to just re-shaft the irons and adjust the swingweight.

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW w/KBS Tour (S) [D5]

As for the wedges it was pretty much the same story. The heads/grooves were in tremendous shape and we didn't see the need to do anything other than re-shaft and adjust the swingweight.

Wedges: Callaway MD3 Milled 56°/60° w/KBS Tour (S) [D5]

At this point I was extremely tired and we decided to take a look at the putter fitting and come back another day for the long game. After getting hooked up on the SAM Putt Lab I was again extremely happy to see that we didn't need to make a change. This doesn't surprise me because I had recently been fit at Bettinardi's Studio B and they did amazing job. Still it was really nice to see that experience validated by the SAM.

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock #7

The second fitting session started by recapping the first session and doing a quick warm-up from there we moved into the driver. We probably went through 30 different setups before narrowing it down to Fujikura Pro 2.0 with either the Epic Subzero or the Rogue Subzero. I did get a little more ball speed with the Rogue, but I was seeing a much better launch angle with the Epic that just couldn't be argued with.

Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero w/Fujikura Pro 2.0 6 (S) [D6]

Next we looked at my fairway wood which is probably my favorite club in the bag. Last season I used that more on the teebox than my driver and it really was the closest thing to a weapon in my hands. Apparently Mike agreed because despite the various head/shaft combinations we tried we could just not beat it so the 3W is staying as is!

Fairway: Callawy Great Big Bertha 3FW w/ ALDILA Rogue Silver 110 MSI (S) [D4.5]

Finally this left us to look at the hybrids. We probably didn't try as many combinations as with the other clubs because it was evident very quickly that we found the right shaft when I hit the KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype. At that point it was settling on a head and we didn't see the need to change away from existing Big Berthas.

Hybrids: Callawy Big Bertha 3H/4H w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g (S) [D5]

So thanks to Mike for an awesome experience. It was amazing to spend so much time going through the bag (5 hours) and having such a thorouh experience. I really feel like we put together the best options for my game and that it was never about upselling. If my equipment was the best then we stayed with it. Looking forward to everything being done and going back in to do a run through on the TrackMan with each and every club to make sure gapping is on point!

Great read man! Congrats on the set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job on the Recap - The Club Champion in Deerfield does a great job.
Interesting that you have no 2018 clubs in you final results. Sometimes the "Old Stuff" just works!

great read! i do love that these higher end fittings will so often be honest with you and tell you when something you already have is working out so well for you. sounds like you're dialed in and ready for a great 2018!

Loved my fitting with Tim over in Deerfield.

What Swing Weights did you use previously?

I have heavier swing weights in my irons D5 4-PW and D6 SW, GW, LW....Which is what Time fit me to 4 years ago when I was there.

Great job on the Recap - The Club Champion in Deerfield does a great job.
Interesting that you have no 2018 clubs in you final results. Sometimes the "Old Stuff" just works!

Yeah I really wanted to end up in the Rogue, but just couldn't deny the better launch angle I saw out of the Epic :)

Loved my fitting with Tim over in Deerfield.

What Swing Weights did you use previously?

I have heavier swing weights in my irons D5 4-PW and D6 SW, GW, LW....Which is what Time fit me to 4 years ago when I was there.

Prior to going into this I didn't really know to be honest. Once we measured my existing gear I was closer to D1 with most of the clubs. The only one at D5 was my 3W which is my favorite club in the bag and I think that has a lot to do with it. With the lighter swingweights I would lose the clubhead in the backswing and it had a really negative effect on the swing. Clubhead speed, impact angle and smash factor improved significantly when we brought the weight up.

Yeah I really wanted to end up in the Rogue, but just couldn't deny the better launch angle I saw out of the Epic :)

Look like you might be looking for a buyer for the Rogue Staff Stand Bag so that you can pick up an Epic one.
I know a local guy.....

Look like you might be looking for a buyer for the Rogue Staff Stand Bag so that you can pick up an Epic one.
I know a local guy.....

If you got a lead one that isn't like $400 on ebay let me know. I might be up for that :D

Got my first fitting at CC in Nashville the first week in April. Hoping to get some positive results.

Got my first fitting at CC in Nashville the first week in April. Hoping to get some positive results.

Good luck! Here's my results from the trackman

6iCLUB SPEEDSMASH FAC.BALL SPEEDLAUNCH ANG.SPIN RATECARRYTOTALATTACK ANG.HEIGHT
OLD87.01.33116.019.86817161.5167.0-4.2101
NEW89.71.36121.819.26383172.0177.7-2.9110

3HCLUB SPEEDSMASH FAC.BALL SPEEDLAUNCH ANG.SPIN RATECARRYTOTALATTACK ANG.HEIGHT
OLD93.31.36126.714.25553183.8194.3-5.889
NEW94.91.41133.413.95478196.4205.9-6.1101

3WCLUB SPEEDSMASH FAC.BALL SPEEDLAUNCH ANG.SPIN RATECARRYTOTALATTACK ANG.HEIGHT
Current97.21.47142.711.64200220.7235.8-5.994

Back