Why does food just...

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Taste better when you order out or have someone else make them. I always find this to be true with breakfast and salads. Dinner can be hit or miss. I just had eggs from the chef at Mercedes and they were the bomb. Anyone else have these types of experiences.

I used to think that way but in the last few years it has completely turned around to me. I very rarely enjoy a meal out anywhere near as much as a meal that my wife and/or I prepared at home. Not sure whether that is a reflection of food getting worse in restaurants, our home cooking getting better or my taste buds just changing.

I've always chalked that up to sensory overload. While preparing the food, you have already overwhelmed at least your nose before you ever take a bite. By contrast, when someone else makes it, most of the perceptions are new to you when you take that first bite.

I've wondered the same thing. I can never replicate different foods no matter how hard I try.

Would agree on the eggs. Most people, myself included, overcook eggs at home. Most other things, though, we think we hold our own at home when we use a recipe that is as elaborate as those in restaurants. But usually we keep meal prep simple.

Not sure on the food tasting better if someone else makes it, I have enjoyed the same meals at home as much as eating out. I guess sometimes it just depends on your mood?

But why is it that when you look at a recipe in a book and decide to make it yourself, it never looks like the picture when you get it on the plate!?!?

Taste better when you order out or have someone else make them. I always find this to be true with breakfast and salads. Dinner can be hit or miss. I just had eggs from the chef at Mercedes and they were the bomb. Anyone else have these types of experiences.

Wait Mercedes gives their clients eggs?

I do especially find this to be true for breakfast. My nemesis is hash browns.

Wait Mercedes gives their clients eggs?

Two eggs, turkey sausage, apple danish and Starbucks coffee while I broker a deal for the wife’s new car. Part of the VIP program they have.

Nothing hits the spot quite like food being brought to the table before you, cooked to satisfaction (or beyond) by someone else, with yet another individual coming behind you to clean it up.

As far as eggs, its so easy to screw them up I think its really special when someone who knows what they're doing gets it right. I don't know what I'm doing- for the record. But I'm learning, and loving the process.

Not sure on the food tasting better if someone else makes it, I have enjoyed the same meals at home as much as eating out. I guess sometimes it just depends on your mood?

But why is it that when you look at a recipe in a book and decide to make it yourself, it never looks like the picture when you get it on the plate!?!?

I understand professional chefs are trained in plating and presentation. Then there is an entire cottage industry built around food photography:

https://petapixel.com/2016/12/02/weird-tricks-food-photographers-use-fake-delicious-looking-meals/

Two eggs, turkey sausage, apple danish and Starbucks coffee while I broker a deal for the wife’s new car. Part of the VIP program they have.
Damn I need to step up my car game and now I'm very hungry

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I get a Keuring coffee and a granola bar at my Honda dealer . . . :disapointed:

I truly believe it all comes down to salt. Chefs cook with so much more salt than home cooks do. No matter how much salt we think we use, chefs always use more.

I totally agree on salads too, and I think a big part of that is because it's too expensive to make those beautiful salads at home because you would need so many ingredients, and if they are using homemade dressing, that is going to taste way better than the store bought stuff most people use.

My wife always says the same thing but at the same time she adds that she doesn't have to cook it which is a big reason it tastes better. I find my wife's cooking fantastic and although I can barely boil water I do the clean-up afterwards. I do enjoy eating out except the aftertaste i.e. the bill :act-up:

It’s difficult to recreate a meal at a great place. That why my wife and I go out for “specialty” dishes: like the crusted chicken Romano at Cheesecake Factory. No way I can make that at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Food tastes better when my mom cooks it! Same exact recipe even. must be in my head but I dont care

Sally and I love going out to dinner but there are some things that I make at home that she just prefers over going out, especially in the summer. Even with a group of friends sometimes it's more fun being at home.

I must be wired funny. I find the exact opposite. The only thing I can figure is when I'm cooking something myself I know what's going into it, what it's being seasoned with, etc., so my tongue knows what to have a taste for. I know if I used more sage than last time, or if I added cinnamon. Something like eggs I'm probably comparing the hot sauce I used this time to last time. Maybe it's because I'm being really critical of my own cooking, instead of simply enjoying when someone makes it for you, but to me that's part of the fun of making your own food.

Around here it is mostly because they use more salt and spices than I do at home... as far as breakfast, though, never underestimate the power of years of seasoning on a flattop or skillet.

I think, in most cases, it comes down to butter and oil. At home, we tend to be a little more health conscious, where in a restaurant you never really ask how a dish is prepared (only what's in it.) The more butter and oil used - the tastier it is.

Around here it is mostly because they use more salt and spices than I do at home... as far as breakfast, though, never underestimate the power of years of seasoning on a flattop or skillet.

I second the bold part, well actually I second all of it.

i haven't read all the responses, but i believe it's the saturated aromas in the restaurant. we taste based in large part on what we smell. so the already intensified good food aromas in the restaurant will also help you experience a more flavorful dish. add to that the positive vibes you have at the restaurant (maybe you're out celebrating, on a date with your wife, etc), and the whole package is more positive than chilling at home eating something you picked out at the beginning of the week and didn't really want to cook tonight but some of the ingredients were going to go bad soon.

Back