Moving from regular to mid size grips?

Misike

Live in the Present
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m re-gripping a friends clubs, and he’s switching to mid size grips. I’ve always preferred regular, but I actually like how mid size feels, has me contemplating trying them out on my set.

Anyone else move up to mid size grips and not look back? Or try to move up and then switch back?

I just moved to midsize and two rounds in I’m quite happy. Feel like my hands are quieter and I don’t have to grip as hard. Time will tell, but I’m happy with the initial results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved from regular to midsize and used midsize for awhile and then after receiving the clubs from The Shoot Out I left the grips (standard size) as is and currently don't game any midsized grips. I do like the midsize though and will re-grip my whole set to midsize when these wear out.

I moved to midsize a few years back and haven't looked back. They're nice because sometimes I tend to want to let go of the club. Let's me feel like I have better control as well.

I switched to midsize grips about four years ago, and it made a huge improvement in my game. I don't feel like I'm putting a death grip on the club anymore.

Def midsize....regulars just don't feel right after going to midsize.

I went midsize 2 years ago and love it. My hands use to be really sore after around because I was gripping the club way too tight.

I moved to midsize grips when my hands started hurting (arthritis and broken bones paying back) with standard size. They definitely help both comfort and performance.

I moved to midsize a couple of years ago.

I was at a golf shop last weekend that had a golf pride rule / guide thing for grip size. Turns out I'm actually near the middle (to upper end) of their midsize range. No wonder I'm enjoying them better.

I have been playing midsize for 3 years and like others are mentioning it helps a bunch with relaxing hand tension. The biggest detriment I have found is they seem to effect shot shape, taking the hands out (my overactive hands) I find it more difficult to produce my old reliable draw.

I did by complete accident. Last year, I got in the Morgan Cup off the waitlist, so when I was notified, I had to put my club order in pretty quick. I knew the clubs I wanted, but completely spaced when I typed the grips, and said "midsize". They arrived and I was a bit worried, but after having played them for almost a year, I really like them.

Those who went to midsize, did the heavier grip make the club head feel too light since it lowers the swing weight s few notches?

Once you get accustom to the comfort and control afforded by mid-sized, or jumbo, grips; the standard sized feel too small.

I’ve tried midsize before, then went to MCC Plus 4’s, then back to midsize, and now to standard with +3 wraps under the bottom hand. My handsize is right on the line between standard and midsize on Golf Prides size chart. I think I’ll stick with the extra wraps because I like the bottom portion of a grip to be larger, but the end cap area of a midsize seems a little too big.

I did get into a habit of hitting blocks and hooks when I went to midize the last time, but I think it was more from how I held the grip than the size of it.

Also, I always used tour velvets in midsize and they weigh essentially the same as most standard grips so swingweight wasn’t affected.

I have used mid-size grips for quite a while now. I really like the feel and it quiets my hands. I have been thinking about going to over-sized but just cannot pull the string. I am border line mid-sized and over-sized. I tried a friend's over-sized grips. They felt good but I like mid-sized. Maybe I will add a couple wraps when I install new ones.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Midsize grips have their advantages as mentioned above. But they will affect the swing weight by about 2 points which u can clearly feel.

I tried the golfpride midsized on a set of irons but they made the head feel too light

Would be great if they started offering mid size grips with the same weight as the regular ones

I canged to mid size and love them. Never look back

I switched cause I was over-drawing all my irons. It’s helped me really straighten everything out.

I switched to midsize for about a year, but the next set of irons that I got had regulars on them and now the midsize on my spare wedges feels soooo awkward.

I switched to midsize a couple of years ago and I love it. My current irons have standard, but all of my woods and wedges have midsize. Personally, they help me keep a more relaxed grip.

I played around with grip sizing, and eventually when I went through a fitting, he said I should be using midsize, so I’ve been doing it ever sense. There are a decent selection of midsize grips with most of the manufacturers these days.

Would be great if they started offering mid size grips with the same weight as the regular ones

It depends on the grips.

Tour Velvet Standard 60 round are 49.5 grams. The 58 round are 51.5 grams.

Tour Velvet Midsize 60 round are 53.5 grams.

It takes 5+ grams at the grip end to change swing weight 1 point, and since the weight of a grip is extended down the shaft it takes even more weight difference to alter the swing weight 1 point.

I switched to midsize a couple of years ago and have not looked back. The feel is so much better and the pressure in my grip is more relaxed. I will never go back to regular grips again.

Midsize grips have their advantages as mentioned above. But they will affect the swing weight by about 2 points which u can clearly feel.

I tried the golfpride midsized on a set of irons but they made the head feel too light

Would be great if they started offering mid-size grips with the same weight as the regular ones

Easily fixed with a few inches of high-density lead tape.

Moving from regular to mid size grips?

I’m sold on giving mid size grips a shot this year.

Last edited:
Back