Tech in the woods vs old school in the irons

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
A discussion came up the other day that I found very interesting;

in discussing metal woods, everybody seems to wantthe latest tech (jail break, twist face, milled faces, etc...).

In in contrast to that, a lot of folks want to go low tech in the irons, playing forged cavity backs ( in lieu of hot cup faces, speed slots high MOI)

why is it that in general we want the newest tech in our metal woods but are constantly wanting less tech in our irons?

I learned the game 40 years ago and I still pick irons by feel, sound, and how they interact with the turf. Launch monitor numbers are paramount to many when choosing irons, but I'm still a bit old-school and would rather listen/feel and watch the trajectory when evaluating irons. Drivers are more for maxing out distance and the launch monitor numbers mean way more to me than with irons. I can miss a drive 10 or 15 yards right or left and often still be in the fairway but if the driver "a" is 15 yards shorter than driver "b", I'm at a disadvantage. With irons, distance is secondary to accuracy, feel, and looks. I played a set of XR Pros for a year and they were very long but distance control was much worse than my Srixon 765's. That equated to a longer proximity to the hole and fewer birdies. For a car racing analogy, I think of it as my driver as a Top Fuel dragster and my set of irons as a Le Mans car.

That’s a great point, so many of us feel like the metal woods are the biggest factor in lowering our scores. I’m actuallity the irons, specifically our wedges make the biggest difference.

Marketing, higher profit margins on the woods maybe a factor

Back