Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Et Tu Brute? View Post
    Has anyone used Arccos with a phone that's either in "Airplane Mode" or that doesn't have cellular data enabled? Arccos says the system will work just fine but I assume it will simply record the shots.

Wouldn't the live Arccos Caddie be disabled if it can't get Internet access during a round?
    I recently played 9 holes in which I had a poor cell phone reception. At the end of the round, the app had recorded my shots, but I had no other data. This may well be what you see if playing in airplane mode.
    Tenputt

My Cobra, Morgan Cup bag:
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver, 9*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK 3-4, 14.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Tour 4-5, 17.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons, 4 - gw
    KING F9 Black Wedges, 54* and 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tenputt For This Useful Post:

TheLetterSee (05-23-2019)

Handicap
    UNOFFIC9.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Et Tu Brute? View Post
    Has anyone used Arccos with a phone that's either in "Airplane Mode" or that doesn't have cellular data enabled? Arccos says the system will work just fine but I assume it will simply record the shots.

Wouldn't the live Arccos Caddie be disabled if it can't get Internet access during a round?
    I played in airplane mode once to conserve battery when I played in an afternoon and phone was pretty low to start. I started airplane mode before the round and that was not how I should have done it because caddie did not work. Shot tracking and GPS worked fine, just not the caddie feature. Looking at the Arccos FAQ's, the way to do it is to start the round online and then switch to airplane mode. If you do it that way, it will not update conditions but will give you "plays like distance" from the wind conditions at the start of the round.

From the FAQ's:

Do I need a cell signal to use Arccos Caddie?

Off the tee recommendations using Arccos Caddie can only be used with a cell signal or on a Wi-Fi connection.

If a round is started while in airplane mode, ‘Plays Like’ distance calculations will include elevation but not wind speed/direction.

If a round is started online, and then put into airplane mode, ‘Plays Like’ distances will include wind calculations at the speed/direction it was when the round was started, however it will not update throughout the round.
    4.5, 14way
    ARCCOS sensors on all clubs
    CP2 midsize grips
    XR16 driver set to 10.5 deg with R flex Bassara 42 shaft
    GBB fairway woods (2015) with Kuro Kage Black 50 (3W/5W/Heavenwood) set to 15/18/21 degrees
    2019 Big Bertha 5-AW irons steel shaft (regular)
    CBX 54 deg and 58 deg wedges
    33" Red Ball putter
    Chromesoft X Triple Track

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oumagic For This Useful Post:

Doubleb21 (05-23-2019)

Major Champion

Handicap
    The Driver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14,423 Posts
    question for you guys, do you adjust the hole location every time?
    Want to know what's in my FlexTech Bag Here ya go!

Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 125 Stiff
    G410 5 wood
    Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
    Apex '19 Combo 6-AW w/Catalyst 100 6.0
    New Level M-Type 56 & 60
    Spider X

Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddec View Post
    No, I use the app to measure to various hazards or places I would like to be for my approach shot and then use a range finder to shoot my approach shot distance.
    Tenputt

Major Champion

Handicap
    The Driver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenputt View Post
    No, I use the app to measure to various hazards or places I would like to be for my approach shot and then use a range finder to shoot my approach shot distance.
    sorry, I meant editing the hole location on the green while on the green.

G410 5 wood
    Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
    New Level M-Type 56 & 60
    Spider X

Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,056 Posts
    Sorry, no. Once on the green, I just putt and immediately after picking up my ball, I check to make sure the app registered the correct number of putts. I would say about 20% of the time, it either will not register a tap in or will add a second putt on a birdie or up and down. I am not sure how the app measures putting distances, but it seems to do a pretty good job.
    Tenputt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tenputt For This Useful Post:

ddec (05-28-2019)

Major Champion

Handicap
    The Driver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenputt View Post
    Sorry, no. Once on the green, I just putt and immediately after picking up my ball, I check to make sure the app registered the correct number of putts. I would say about 20% of the time, it either will not register a tap in or will add a second putt on a birdie or up and down. I am not sure how the app measures putting distances, but it seems to do a pretty good job.
    see I've been getting to the green, going by the hole and use the mark hole location button, but I wasn't sure if others were doing that or not, or if it's even necessary. Only got 4 rounds in with this system so far.

G410 5 wood
    Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
    New Level M-Type 56 & 60
    Spider X

Handicap
    UNOFFIC9.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    139 Posts
    I try to remember to mark the flag before I leave the green. Still, the putting distance seems to be off and I don’t really worry about it. If the putting distances are off, the handicap for chipping or approach will be higher than it should but the putting will be lower than it should.

In general, if I don’t pay close attention to first putt distance, it shows I am a great putter and horrible chipper. Then post round, I will see the reason is that it shows I chipped to 24 feet and made the putt when in reality I chipped to 3’ and drained the putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4.5, 14way
    CP2 midsize grips
    GBB fairway woods (2015) with Kuro Kage Black 50 (3W/5W/Heavenwood) set to 15/18/21 degrees
    33" Red Ball putter

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oumagic For This Useful Post:

ddec (05-28-2019), Tenputt (05-28-2019)

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    I used it for four rounds, one with my regular iPhone and cellular data then the other three on an old iPhone with no data connection (basically in airplane mode). It does find as both an on-course GPS and a shot-recorder even when it can't get data. And if you start the round while on WiFi, it will get an initial estimate of wind velocity and use it throughout the round.

I had used Arccos for quite a while last summer and used it in full-bore Caddie mode, consulting it before just about every approach shot or layup. It is pretty cool technology (once it knows my club distances and tendencies) and the elevation+wind stuff works as advertised. That said, playing a whole round tethered to an iPhone in hand and staring frequently at a screen is neither relaxing or focused on my golf game. The hybrid of playing golf plus Arccos Caddie is a fun activity its own right (I'm a technology geek and also a stats geek) but a different experience than just playing golf.

This time around I wanted to just leave my phone in pocket and play golf, letting Arccos accumulate stats for me in the background. My conclusion was, that basically doesn't work. Unless I have perfect recall of hole locations, first putt distances and whether approach shots were from tee or fairway then I can't accurately edit all the niggling little details after the round. So I end up checking to make sure shots are recorded correctly. Also I use a putter from off the green at least 5-6 times a round and every single one of those has to be edited to "Chip".

It's all too much work and distraction just to record shots. So my conclusion is if you want the full-on Caddie functionality (which is not allowed under Rules of Golf) then go for it. The extra information is great and it's worth the trouble. But Arccos simply can not act as a passive recording device, capturing data to be analyzed later. Not without continually pulling out the phone.

A few other distractions. The brand of grips I use have a very soft plastic end-cap that will not reliably hold the Arccos sensors. My workaround is to wrap some grip tape around the thread before installing each sensor and that works pretty well but I still managed to have sensors loosen up from time to time (I would tighten them up if I noticed) and one time a sensor popped out completely. This problem is much worse on a 95F day than it was in cooler weather where the end-cap isn't as soft and loose. And the big Arccos putter sensor sticks out like a sore thumb on a skinny Pingman putter grip. Also, I wear a glove on my leading-side hand so every time I pull the phone out of my front-side hip pocket I have to switch it to the non-glove hand to interact with the phone.

P.S. One of my four rounds was on a course I only play once every couple of years. It is extremely hilly and some holes have blind tee shots up and over ridges. Also many severe doglegs. And I played it on a breezy (8-10mph) day. Using Arccos Caddie with the elevation+wind advice mode on a course like that is just about miraculous. As a test, I just trusted it every time on "plays like" distances for my layups (which I calculated by dragging the cursor to what looked on the GPS map like a safe spot). It did not give me bad advice a single time. If I played courses like that frequently, especially unfamiliar courses like that, I'd be all over Arccos Caddie and the heck with what the Rules of Golf say! It probably saved me 2-3 lost balls and half a dozen strokes in that round.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Et Tu Brute? For This Useful Post:

Duffer Waldorf (06-03-2019), Mr Moke (05-28-2019)

Handicap
    Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    252 Posts
    I just realized you could do this last round. I don't know if I care enough to do it every hole though. I'm too self-conscious about being slow.
    Spoiler
    M9 Cart Bag
    M1 2017
    Exotics EX10 Beta 4W (16.5*)
    King F7 #3-4H (19.5*)
    Edge 5-PW
    F8 5-GW
    RTX-3 CB 54* & 68*
    TFI 2135 1.0
    Z Star

Major Champion

Handicap
    The Driver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    I just realized you could do this last round. I don't know if I care enough to do it every hole though. I'm too self-conscious about being slow.
    that's part of why I ask. All of my rounds have been solo, so it hasn't been a disturbance really to anyone.

G410 5 wood
    Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
    New Level M-Type 56 & 60
    Spider X

Handicap
    Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    252 Posts
    that's part of why I ask. All of my rounds have been solo, so it hasn't been a disturbance really to anyone.
    I play most of my rounds with a friend. He uses his phone to track stats with a different app. I can't bear the thought of both of us on the green looking at our phones. Even though it may not take us that long and we aren't hurting place of play, it gets in my head and I play too fast. Screws my whole round up.
    Spoiler
    M9 Cart Bag
    M1 2017
    Exotics EX10 Beta 4W (16.5*)
    King F7 #3-4H (19.5*)
    Edge 5-PW
    F8 5-GW
    RTX-3 CB 54* & 68*
    TFI 2135 1.0
    Z Star

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    I play most of my rounds with a friend. He uses his phone to track stats with a different app. I can't bear the thought of both of us on the green looking at our phones. Even though it may not take us that long and we aren't hurting place of play, it gets in my head and I play too fast. Screws my whole round up.
    My attitude is similar. Nobody among my usual playing group (except sometimes me) does the phone-during-play thing. And nobody including me ever pulls it out on the putting green.

But I've gotten paired up with people in the past who either use their phone with a GPS app or, worse yet, one of those silly "scorekeeping" apps. I will not and can not be That Guy. Which is a big part of the reason I've been evaluating Arccos in "leave it in my pocket until after the round" mode rather can Caddie mode.

For solo rounds the Caddie is fine but when you're trying to interact with two or three other guys, trying to concentrate on shooting your best score and trying to keep the pace flowing smoothly it's just selfish to be fiddling around trying to re-locate flagstick locations and so forth.

El Capitan del Norte

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,369 Posts
    Not every hole, if I have putted out and am waiting for others to finish out I will.
    Epic Flash SZ 9* D/S ADDI 65 SR
    Epic Flash SZ 13.5/18* Rogue Elite Blue 65R
    Rogue 21* VA Composite 85R Slay
    P790 5-AW LZ 5.0
    52* TTDG 115
    Pm Grind 19 58* Hi Rev 2.0 115
    Stroke Lab EXO 7 mini
    Duo Professional Matte Orange

Handicap
    UNOFFIC9.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    139 Posts

Arccos Caddie 2.0

If you have an iPhone, you can set it up and just tell Siri to mark the flag location. I tend to just put the flag in front, middle, or back when I am going to hit my approach and let the putting/chipping stats be off. Then on the way to the next hole or at the turn, I compare the actual scorecard to the arccos to make simple changes (add/delete putts mostly).

At home, I have occasionally edited rounds. But I am mainly using arccos to track distances and not too concerned with what kind of handicap it gives me.

Once I get a good feel for the new clubs and distances, I hope to get the link device and see how that tracks. I would love to not get my phone out at all and just edit major mistakes after the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oumagic; 05-28-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    4.5, 14way
    CP2 midsize grips
    33" Red Ball putter