jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Is ever too early to start talking Ryder Cup?

The 2016 version provided much excitement for us who love the event and even for those who don't. The US won the cup for the first time since 2008 and so much good golf was played. The Reed/Rory match, the Phil/Sergio match are a couple that will go down in the history books. It really is Team Golf at its finest.

This year will take place on September 28-30 at Le Golf National in Paris, France. Jim Furyk is the Captain and just named Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker Vice Captains yesterday. Many questions lie ahead....

Will Tiger make the team and be a playing asst. captain?
Will Phil make another team at the age of 47 or was 2016 his last hurrah?
Will the USA be able to retain the cup on foreign soil?

The 2016 version provided much excitement for us who love the event and even for those who don't. The US won the cup for the first time since 2008 and so much good golf was played. The Reed/Rory match, the Phil/Sergio match are a couple that will go down in the history books. It really is Team Golf at its finest.

This year will take place on September 28-30 at Le Golf National in Paris, France. Jim Furyk is the Captain and just named Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker Vice Captains yesterday. Many questions lie ahead....

2016 was SUCH an Epic event. The match ups and play was outstanding, and with the US win, that topped it all off.

I wouldn't put it past Tiger to sneak into the event as a playing Assistant. I think it would be a last week, last tournament for points to get in, type of make if he makes it as a player. We'll know more once The Masters is over as that test will show where he really is in his comeback.

Phil is playing really well so far this early in the season. He LOVES the Ryder Cup, and I think he makes it again based on how he's playing so far, this early in the season.

The USA will bring a swagger into France in a way not seen since WWII, and I think they come out on top again and retain the Cup.

I think Phil is up to 10 or 11 in the rankings, so he would be a no-brainer pick if he maintains anything like his form of the last few tournaments. I think Phil would be a captain's pick if he is in the top 20.

I would like to see Tiger make a run and get himself into consideration as a player, but I honestly don't expect it.

There are a couple of interesting story lines shaping up. One is Brooks Koepka, who is a solid second in the rankings. He's so far up there that it's hard to see him falling out of the top 8, but it's been a long time since he played at RC level.

The other is the resurgence of Bubba. Based on what Feinstein's book said, he REALLY wants to be on the team (not that they all don't) and the way he played last week is probably making some of the current leaders nervous.

To answer the questions in the original post,
No
No
And no.

#FiberLaunch

You're right bro, it is NEVER too early to start talking Ryder Cup. This is far and away my favorite sporting event on the planet. Being there on Sunday last year and watching that Rory/Reed match up close was amazing!

I don't see Tiger making the team, if it were next year and he had some time to earn points MAYBE....but he's so far behind I just don't see it happening.

Yes Phil will make the team, look how good he is playing right now! He's driven by Ryder Cups and I don't see anyone keeping him out!

Yes the USA will retain the cup. Of course they will!

I am saying no to Tiger as making the team... unless I see a bunch of improvement.
Phil looks good! I say another one wouldn't hurt,
Tough road on foreign soil. I predict a much closer battle but USA on top.

tiger will not make the team

phil will

the us will not win. i think the euros will be JACKED UP to take the cup back.

Back