I hate my driver. In fact I hate all non-irons. Yet, I'm compelled to try to hit them

Some days my driver is working for me, but when it's not I then pull out my hybrid which always works for me.

Then don't use a driver and play short enough tees and courses for now. You can still have just as much fun. You can't hit any club well consistently without some confidence in it. The only way I can hit a driver well is to swing freely with no fear, it doesn't always work but it is way more consistent than the tense fearful swing.

My fear of the abuse that will be heaped upon me by my regular playing partners keeps me from moving up a tee box. I'll just take my extra stroke and be good.

I do have fun on the course, even on bad days.

I've been having driver struggles lately, for some reason I can't close the face anymore so just hit horrible slices that tease me by starting on line and then just shoot off 50 yards right.

I played a few holes yesterday with just my irons, the longest being a 5. I hit par on a notoriously difficult par 4, 2x 5 irons left me just short of the green, chipped it close for a tap in.

Par 5, I was on in 3, and that was 2x 5 irons and a 6 iron into the green. It was a lovely little experiment, one that I will be doing more often.

It's funny, that sort of happened to me as well. Played only irons on a course I play regularly, and shot my best score. go figure.

Why??? Why can't I be immune from them??

Really you always hit it well when we play together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been having driver struggles lately, for some reason I can't close the face anymore so just hit horrible slices that tease me by starting on line and then just shoot off 50 yards right.

This is my exact issue as well. I have no issues with my fairway at all and can hit nice little fades from the tee, or straight or draw depending on shape needed. Driver is just a big PITA for me. I am hitting it maybe twice a round now as I have no confidence at all.

One thing I tried the last time I hit it, was to cup my wrist like DJ at the top of my swing. Worked well. Played a perfect draw. Only issue was as I had not practiced this before it jarred my wrist horribly at impact and I am afraid to cup the wrist in case it causes an injury.

I've tried changing the batteries (drivers hate that) or a good spanking. A couple of time out days in the garage during the heat of summer is also a good driver punishment

Really you always hit it well when we play together

I think you were watching ntanygd760. Or Grins. Or Bullfrog. I'm the short guy with glasses who can't hit a driver.

I hate my driver too and I don’t use it anymore. I hit far enough with my 3 wood and it is a lot safer.

Well, while I like that plan, the 3-wood falls into the "not real hittable" grouping as well.

I got issues.

I've tried changing the batteries (drivers hate that) or a good spanking. A couple of time out days in the garage during the heat of summer is also a good driver punishment

I'm thinking wood chipper a la "Fargo".

I used to be like this, but I have learned that the range is really only useful to kind of dial in a new club or to warm up. I go to the range hit about 5 50 yard pitches, 5 8 irons, and 5 drivers with no thoughts to swing mechanics at all. The drivers will all do the same thing if I do this. It’s becoming a draw the less I focus on mechanics and the more I have grooved my swing. Anyway, whatever it is that day I step to the first tee, pick a target that accounts for that movement and envision how the ball will fly through the air, setup for that target and swing my club. 80% of the time it does what I envisioned and the other 20% of the time I can deal with. Anyway, the more I take this approach the better my score gets and my distance is starting to creep up slowly as well. The number one thing anyone can learn to improve their score is to start playing golf and stop playing golf swing. Playing golf swing is a frustrating and losing endeavor that destroys your enjoyment of the game and costs a fortune in lessons and equipment. Playing golf is a lot of fun and can be done without expensive lessons and the latest greatest equipment.

Driver is the longest club and has the least loft. On top of that iron swings ask us to hit down on the ball, driver swings should be hitting up on the ball. It's going to be hard to hit.

Driver is the longest club and has the least loft. On top of that iron swings ask us to hit down on the ball, driver swings should be hitting up on the ball. It's going to be hard to hit.

My 30+ year experiment using the scientific method has proved this to be true.

It's funny, that sort of happened to me as well. Played only irons on a course I play regularly, and shot my best score. go figure.

Just watched a vid yesterday on YT that was a recommended vid where the relatively new player hit nothing longer than a 5i and shot an 87 on an unfamiliar course. Definitely food for thought.

Just watched a vid yesterday on YT that was a recommended vid where the relatively new player hit nothing longer than a 5i and shot an 87 on an unfamiliar course. Definitely food for thought.

Well, THAT made me all the more depressed. Whoever he/she was, I hate them.

Well, THAT made me all the more depressed. Whoever he/she was, I hate them.

That actually gives me hope. I’ve never broken 90 over 18 and it makes sense that if the driver is off, just break the holes down into iron shots. How many 7i would it be to get to the green for a par? Yeah it’s not sexy but it’s smart if the driver isn’t working.

That actually gives me hope. I’ve never broken 90 over 18 and it makes sense that if the driver is off, just break the holes down into iron shots. How many 7i would it be to get to the green for a par? Yeah it’s not sexy but it’s smart if the driver isn’t working.

I've done the math on this a lot. take whatever club you hit 150 straight. Hit it 3 times. You've either hit the green or hit over the green on 90% of the par fours in America. Two putt for bogey.

As I stated in the OP, I know leaving the woods out of the bag is the smartest play. I'm just inexplicably compelled to try to hit them, even to my own detriment.

I just have to be smart, sell all my non-iron clubs and play to score as best I can.

I've done the math on this a lot. take whatever club you hit 150 straight. Hit it 3 times. You've either hit the green or hit over the green on 90% of the par fours in America. Two putt for bogey.

As I stated in the OP, I know leaving the woods out of the bag is the smartest play. I'm just inexplicably compelled to try to hit them, even to my own detriment.

I just have to be smart, sell all my non-iron clubs and play to score as best I can.

Oh I’ve had 4 drivers in the past 2 years. I know where you’re coming from!!!

Take them all out of your bag and stick them in the garage.

Even the irons!?!?! that's going to make for a looonnnng round.

An old golf instructor gave me some good advice once...”take two weeks off and rest. Then quit” ???

I meant before you sell the woods put them in time out for a while.

When you get the itch to try them, take them to the range. Don’t put them in your bag though.

The only thing worse then sucking with driver is pulling iron and proceeding to still miss the fairway.

Why??? Why can't I be immune from them??

You can't stay away from them because they are supposed to "Make ball go far". Plus they seem like they should be easier to hit with the big face.

Every once in awhile I get in a funk and can’t hit driver. I can usually go to fairway woods as a fallback. Occasionally my swing gets so out of wack that I can’t hit any type of wood or hybrid. Then it’s time to take a break and slowly work my way back starting with the range. Last summer and fall I had 2 old and 2 new drivers and couldn’t hit any of them and couldn’t wait until I returned to Florida to my old reliable woods. Interesting enough I couldn’t hit them either. With a little work I discovered I had developed a serious swing flaw. With some work I resolved it and found I can now hit any club. Be patient and don’t try too hard (easy to say).

Back