I hate my driver. In fact I hate all non-irons. Yet, I'm compelled to try to hit them

The only thing worse then sucking with driver is pulling iron and proceeding to still miss the fairway.

You remember that shot, huh? I did that a few times.

Another range session with the driver and hybrid. Hit a handfull of decent drives, and a handfull of decent hybrid shots. Let's give me some slack and say 10 each. Out of a big bucket of approximately 100 balls, that is a staggering 20% success rate. On a standard course that's 3 out of 14 drives in/near the fairway. Pair that up with my lack of distance, and we get "Not very bueno.". It's polishing the rails on the Titanic.

Another range session with the driver. It appears I have to use a completely different grip to be able to hit this thing. I hit some nice ones, much better than yesterday. So, I have that going for me, which is nice.

I'm trying the whole "no woods" rule for at least the first half of the season.

I'd say 90% of all my horrific, score mutilating, round combusting shots come off the tee with a wood of some description. Scuffed, topped, sliced or hooked - I'm an equal opportunities tee mangler :good:.

I've been playing a good 9-hole Par3 course recently, and as a consequence I'm actually happy with my short game and putting.

So, my hypothesis is this - I'm going round that tricky short course gross +3/+4 for 9 holes (+6/+8 for 18) which has happened more than a few times even in very stiff winds, so if I accept that, then I have another 12 to 14 shots from the tee / approaches to hit my h'cap.

I'm trying the whole "no woods" rule for at least the first half of the season.

I'd say 90% of all my horrific, score mutilating, round combusting shots come off the tee with a wood of some description. Scuffed, topped, sliced or hooked - I'm an equal opportunities tee mangler :good:.

I've been playing a good 9-hole Par3 course recently, and as a consequence I'm actually happy with my short game and putting.

So, my hypothesis is this - I'm going round that tricky short course gross +3/+4 for 9 holes (+6/+8 for 18) which has happened more than a few times even in very stiff winds, so if I accept that, then I have another 12 to 14 shots from the tee / approaches to hit my h'cap.

To be honest, the rounds I played without any woods, I didn't really miss them too much. I accepted the fact that I would have to take another shot to get to the green, but the lack of irritating/frustrating/enraging mis-hits easily made up for that.Give it a whirl, what do you have to lose?

From another thread:

Well,shot a not bad 52 for the first nine of the season. Stupid woods screwed me. Stopped trying to hit them on the fourth hole and played fairly well after that. Going to keep them out of the bag for a while. They (the stupid woods) cost me at least 4-6 strokes. Bastards.

I'm gonna be satisfied with bunting my way around the course from now on.

My new catchphrase: "No woods, no worries."

Cause they're the "big dog"...chicks dig the long ball?

For me, it's because I can hit a bad shot off the tee with any club so I might as well go for the gusto.

This is definitely the truth some days. I figure if I'm gonna be in the woods, I might as well be 20 yards closer to the hole.

I am contemplating playing a round with just irons (and hybrids). I can put the 3h out there 200 relatively safely. I should be able to reach all the par 4's in two shots if I play the white tees (~6000 yards). Could be a fun experiment.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be satisfied with bunting my way around the course from now on.

My new catchphrase: "No woods, no worries."
All agreed, frds. :good:

For me (1 x 4hy) + (1 x 8i) > (1 x 1w) + (1 x 8i sideways out of the trees) + (1 x 7i from wherever that last one ends up)

It's taken me waaaaaaaaaay to long to do the maths on that one though :sad:

I normally am a huge proponent of using the longest club I can keep in play, in no small part because the math in strokes gained appear to promote that as the long-term best strategy. At the same time, if a club frustrates me, no matter what it is, I take it out of the bag. Last year I physically took every club longer than a 5 iron out of my bag at Langdon Farms with Won and Frank. It felt like a really long round even though my score was okay.

Went back with the driver, personally enjoyed it more but that is the key...personal choice.

This year I plan to play my first round on a short course, tee off with nothing longer than a 9i. Might jump to a 7 for round 2, might not, and so forth until I am teeing off decently with every club in the bag

for the op, might be a path to success to try something similar. if it takes the fun out of the game it is the wrong club regardless of scoring outcome. at its root, for most of us golf is recreation and if using or not using the driver equals more fun, that becomes a clear and easy choice

I normally am a huge proponent of using the longest club I can keep in play, in no small part because the math in strokes gained appear to promote that as the long-term best strategy. At the same time, if a club frustrates me, no matter what it is, I take it out of the bag. Last year I physically took every club longer than a 5 iron out of my bag at Langdon Farms with Won and Frank. It felt like a really long round even though my score was okay.

Went back with the driver, personally enjoyed it more but that is the key...personal choice.

This year I plan to play my first round on a short course, tee off with nothing longer than a 9i. Might jump to a 7 for round 2, might not, and so forth until I am teeing off decently with every club in the bag

for the op, might be a path to success to try something similar. if it takes the fun out of the game it is the wrong club regardless of scoring outcome. at its root, for most of us golf is recreation and if using or not using the driver equals more fun, that becomes a clear and easy choice

Even if it doesn't reflect in the scores, you are right, just taking the irritation out of the game is a big net plus.

Even if it doesn't reflect in the scores, you are right, just taking the irritation out of the game is a big net plus.

that to me is THE key. If I get frustrated with my recreation I have chosen the wrong recreation. and every person has a different irritation. for one guy it is losing the ball right with the banana off the driver. for me it is usually more the just POWDERING my drive and having a long iron in on my second shot on a reasonable par 4 because that tee club was my 5i. I genuinely want the people I am playing with to enjoy the game their way and let me enjoy it mine.

Back