Titleist 716 AP2 Irons - THP Review Thread

To the bold, definitely agree, and the same can be said if they go 714. Solid irons both ways for sure, and definitely what I think we would all expect from Titleist there.

Based off preliminary data, there are some spin differences, but nothing drastic. While I agree with Kevin too, I did thini with some of the ballyhoo we have heard, there would be a more significant jump be it through launch or speed retention, but heck there may still be some in there, my time with these three irons is still early.

I didn't have access to my fitters gc2 when I demo'd these so I will be interested in what you find out on numbers. I would guess only minor differences between the two

Do these ones have the "pre worn sole" I know the CB/MB do I wasn't sure if they put that in the AP2's or not. If they do have you seen any different turf interaction between the 714 and 716 James?

Looks like I will be taking mine out for a round today at TPC Michigan! It is supposed to be in the 70's here today so looks like a beautiful day to get a round in with the new sticks!

Got a chance to hit these against the new ap1s today over lunch. Very solid, and feel great. I did notice (as expected) i got about 8-10 yards more distance on the ap1s and a bit better results direction wise. The ap2s basically went my normal 7 iron distance, maybe a yard or two better, but the ap1s were about 10 yards further. Both very solid clubs...

Do these ones have the "pre worn sole" I know the CB/MB do I wasn't sure if they put that in the AP2's or not. If they do have you seen any different turf interaction between the 714 and 716 James?

This was my question. Jimmy nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my question. Jimmy nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do not to my knowledge, and none of my research indicates that they do.

As such, interaction has really been pretty much identical to what I saw out of the 714's based on me going back into my notebook from that review and seeing my thoughts. Which of course, isn't a bad thing, as I thought they were solid there.

Spent some time hitting these yesterday and I came away quite impressed. They also had the 714 demo still out so I was able to do a side by side comparison. In terms of feel/sound I do like the 716 more. To me a it was a bit of a duller sound and not as clicky as the 714. The ball felt good coming off the face and seemed like it wanted to go. Distance with the 6i was about the same on shots hit in the middle of the face. I'm not swinging the club especially well because of the wrist, but there was at most a 5 yards difference when I felt like I got it good. I did notice an increased amount of forgiveness on misses. Thin shots didn't sting as much and had a better than expected ball flight. Spin was lower on these shots, but not to the point where if it hit the front of the green it was going to run off the back and find a plot of land 10 miles away and start a family. I found the toe and heel misses to give me better distance and dispersion than the 714. It wasn't a great deal, but any little helps.

I do like the looks of the 716 more as well. The sole is a high chrome finish but the top line was brushed and definitely cut down glare. When I compared this to my MP25 the lines were a touch thicker at a glance. The sole seemed a hair wider and the bevel on the top line made it look a little more inviting than the MP25. Feel compared with my MP25 seemed to be a little more soothing as well. The Mp25s have a sound that's a mix between the Mp15 and 850F. Soft, but you can tell the metal is a little harder.

Once I get back to swinging a club for real again (sometime in January) I'm going to have to give these another look. What I liked the most was the wider sole and less imposing topline compared to what I have now. The second I put the club down at address I immediately felt like I could game this, no questions asked..

I accidentally posted this in the preview thread, so wanted to put it here:

I had a chance to hit the AP2's, CB's, and T-MB 3/4 irons at a Titelist Demo Day. A lot of people were loving the T-MB long irons, but I saw no visually discernible difference between the T-MB 4i and the AP2 4i. I didn't feel like either really felt better than the other either. The CB's felt really similar to my current clubs, the Bridgestone J15 CB's.

The AP2's stole the show for me though. They are slightly larger than my J15 CB's and I felt they were a little easier to hit well than my CB's or the 716 CB's. I played the 712 AP2's for a while and I felt like they were "hard" and maybe that's the "clicky" sound several have referred to when mentioning Titleist clubs. I didn't notice that with the 716 AP2's. I still felt like my J15's were noticeably softer than the Titelist offerings, but the Titleist offerings felt good on good hits. I only hit the clubs with the DG S300 AMT shafts. The T-MB and AP2 4 irons with the AMT did feel good and seemed to carry a little farther than my current 4 iron. But I'd want to hit them more before considering the shaft in a future purchase.

I really wanted to try the X100 AMT shaft in a longer iron, but they didn't have any glued and the fitting heads were 7 irons. I'm not really in ponder mode now, especially because my current clubs and shafts are relatively new. I'm not a fan of the shafts I have for me/my swing though, and could see switching to the AMT's some time early next year.

Little off topic but I just noticed this will checking out the 716 AP2's............why are the fitting clubs now 7 irons instead of 6 irons as they used to be?

So why not adjust the lofts of the AP2's to match the AP1's ... if you like the feel of the Forged vs the cast? Is it really going to affect launch angle and all of that THAT much? I know that Titleist tests all makes and models of shafts to go into their clubs .... blah, blah. But by strengthening the lofts of the AP2's to match the AP1 you wouldn't have the distance loss.

Not saying that my 714 AP2's are strong lofted at all either. LOL!

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

Little off topic but I just noticed this will checking out the 716 AP2's............why are the fitting clubs now 7 irons instead of 6 irons as they used to be?

I think it has something to do with being easier to hit. if you hit them better in stores, you're more likely to buy them, and 7 irons are easier to hit than 6's. I noticed in store the other day that Mizuno was the only brand still with 6 irons as the demo.

Hearing that these are performing eerily similarly to the 714s is pretty disappointing IMO.

It doesn't make these "bad clubs" obviously because the 714 were awesome, but IMO, it does make these a bad release.

Hearing that these are performing eerily similarly to the 714s is pretty disappointing IMO.

It doesn't make these "bad clubs" obviously because the 714 were awesome, but IMO, it does make these a bad release.

seeing that you use Wilson exclusively is pretty cool! But if you have interest in the 716's or any other brand, I recommend hitting them with a fitter. Since our reviewers are supplied standard clubs with no adjustments, hitting a new club adjusted for you specifically may provide better results. :bashful:

Just my two cents.

hit em straight, long, and sink those putts!

ken

His bag is/was 100% Wilson Staff because of the THP Event Legacy. Each participant was supplied a full 14 club deal. Army is an open minded golfer when it comes to brands.

seeing that you use Wilson exclusively is pretty cool! But if you have interest in the 716's or any other brand, I recommend hitting them with a fitter. Since our reviewers are supplied standard clubs with no adjustments, hitting a new club adjusted for you specifically may provide better results. :bashful:

Just my two cents.

hit em straight, long, and sink those putts!

ken

I'm confused. Are you saying because he has an all Wilson bag currently that he can't have an opinion on Titliest irons? Or that he must not have tried anything else because of that?

I've tried these irons. these perform pretty on point with the 714 AP2s.

I'm confused. Are you saying because he has an all Wilson bag currently that he can't have an opinion on Titliest irons? Or that he must not have tried anything else because of that?

I've tried these irons. these perform pretty on point with the 714 AP2s.

not even close, i think it's cool he likes his brand, you took what I said out of context. My point is we should try clubs via a fitter along with the info we get here, that's all. :bashful:

ken

not even close, i think it's cool he likes his brand, you took what I said out of context.

ken

I'm not taking anything out of context. I was asking you a question because what you said didn't make sense.

I'm not taking anything out of context. I was asking you a question because what you said didn't make sense.

Makes perfect sense, complimenting somebody on their bag, then recommending to see a fitter for other clubs is confusing? I wasn't insulting anybody or suggesting anything inappropriate, so stop.

thanks

ken

Makes perfect sense, complimenting somebody not their bag, then recommending to see a fitter for other clubs is confusing? I wasn't insulting anybody or suggesting anything inappropriate, so stop.

thanks

ken

Thanks. Literally just asking you a question because that's how what you said came across.

Okay guys, lets get it back to the irons.
Thanks.

Thanks. Literally just asking you a question because that's how what you said came across.

Prob too many beers on my part, I was literally complimenting our friend. As far as testing/results of the new irons we are fortunate enough to test, I was just suggesting when interested, see a fitter too, that's all.

So much good tech nowadays it's a good time to be a participant in our sport!

ken

Those are some good looking irons for sure.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I may or may not have bought these.....

I'm shocked...wait...no I'm not. :alien:

I'm actually writing this one this very minute, honestly there isn't a whole lot to add. Based on everything I have seen, recorded, and experienced there is no major differentiation from the 714's apart from the rather drastic aesthetic change. Not a bad thing mind you, but these aren't likely to be a release where those who hit/gamed the 714's will notice any significant jumps...nor will they notice any dropoffs either though.

I'm shocked...wait...no I'm not. :alien:

I'm actually writing this one this very minute, honestly there isn't a whole lot to add. Based on everything I have seen, recorded, and experienced there is no major differentiation from the 714's apart from the rather drastic aesthetic change. Not a bad thing mind you, but these aren't likely to be a release where those who hit/gamed the 714's will notice any significant jumps...nor will they notice any dropoffs either though.

This is the one thing I wanted to see/read about this thread. Had the AP2s when they first came out. Got rid of them and have regretted it every minute since. I am going to go with either one but wanted to see what you said in regards to 714/716 performance. Sounds like the 714s will do just fine. Thanks for the review.

Back