Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pair up story?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Back in 2006 when I was stationed in Monterey while in the Air Force, I used to play a lot of golf at Bayonet Black Horse ($50 a month for military). One afternoon I was playing by myself and was paired up with two older gentlemen, one who looked oddly familiar. About three holes in my curiosity got the better of me and I asked his playing partner, “why does your buddy look so familiar”? He replied with a chuckle, “Are you a baseball fan?” And it clicked! It was Mr October himself, Reggie Jackson. I was ashamed that I didn’t recognize him immediately, but did my best to play it cool, but back to back doubles made me come clean. I had a great time and my game turned around eventually once the nerves wore off.

TLDR: I was paired with Reggie Jackson and didn’t know it until hole number 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's In the Bag
    Driver - Launcher HB 9*
    Fairway - F65 3+ 13.5*
    Irons - Z765 3-PW, MODUS 105S
    Wedges - RTX 3.0 (52*, 56*, 60*)
    Flatstick - GO LO 3

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usaf_giles For This Useful Post:

EaglevsFalcon (05-27-2018), prubey00 (05-25-2018)

Handicap
    work
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    September 2005 - Showed up as a single for my typical Sunday afternoon round at Emerald Valley just south of Eugene, Oregon and was surprised by a very full parking lot and golf course. Andy in the pro shop worked his magic and was able to pair me up for a round. Walked to 1 tee to meet up with John and Brandon. Noticed John had a really cool red, white and blue golf bag; John quickly stated Walker Cup. Okay. Ball sizzles off the tee and scorched a couple of the trees going up the fairway. John had just turned Pro and flew in from Kentucky to Monday Qualify for the Oregon Classic. I talked John through the course as best I could and watched a bunch of amazing drives. It was a great round, the distraction helped me to one of a dozen sub 80 rounds I've played, but I didn't get John to sign the card, damn! John missed qualifying by 1 stroke but after a couple of name changes John became JB Holmes and couple of months after our practice round in Oregon he won the PGA Tour Qualifying and then in couple more months won the Phoenix Open.

"It's not long, but it's not wrong" - Bubba Watson (Genesis Open)
    "If I was 'the man' I'd be in the fairway" - Bubba Watson (WGC Match Play)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,331 Posts
    This won't be of interest to anyone except Auburn fans, but I once went to play a mediocre course in Golden Springs, AL and was paired with former Auburn QB Patrick Nix (after his playing days) and his dad .

JPX-900 Driver
    JPX-900 3 and 5-wood
    JPX-900 4 and 5-Hybrid
    JPX-900 HotMetal 6-LW
    FGP

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    A guy joined our twosome on day and after introductions he told us where we lived, and he even described our houses. Pretty creepy. It turns out he was a retired mail carrier with a photographic memory and we happened to be on his route.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Supperman For This Useful Post:

EaglevsFalcon (05-27-2018)

Major Champion

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,644 Posts
    There are some stories in here!

I don't recall any memorable partners, but my caddie at the US Women's Open volunteer outing as awesome. Christian and I exchanged numbers and we were going to play together on Monday, except that they had an outing.
    WITB
    What's in the Ogio Grandaddy bag:
    Driver: Rogue 10.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 63g
    FW: GBB 3W 15* - Aldila Rogue 110 MSI
    Hybrid: Apex 2H 18* - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage
    Irons: XR Pro 4-AW - True Temper XP 95 S300
    Wedges: RTX-3 54/11, 58/6 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Putter: EXO Seven 34"
    Ball: ChromeSoft/ Penta TP/TP5

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 14.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,794 Posts
    Last year before the Morgan Cup I walked on as a single and was going out immediately behind the last group of the ladies club. A 3some refused to play with me. The next group was two women. They let me join them. One of the two teed off from the same tees as me and drove it well past me. Turns out she played college golf and was on the LPGA tour for a while. I was mindful of being nervous at the MC and decided to ask her for tips on managing it. She said it was just a game, I wasn't playing for money, I have a job, and a wife who loves me, etc. Fast forward a few holes and we are on opposite sides of the fairway. I hit the most gawdaful shot imaginable. She yells to me "your wife still loves you." I yelled back "maybe so, but she didn't see that shot." We laughed. It was a super fun round. All the awkwardness about the ladies club business and their reservations about telling me their marriage status were washed away by a fun round.
    Last edited by tequila4kapp; 05-26-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy

#100Birdies10kLaughs

WITB:
    Driver: Rogue, EvenFlow Black
    3W: Rogue 3W, EvenFlow Blue
    Hybrids: Rogue 3h, Chrome Elements
    Irons:
    Wedges:
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis & CSX

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

EaglevsFalcon (05-27-2018), PatsFan (05-25-2018), tucsoncacti (05-26-2018), Vortex (05-26-2018), widespot (05-27-2018)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I don't have any memorable stories, but isn't it amazing how a few holes with a total stranger can make such an impression. What a game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Driver: XR
    Fairway: V Series
    Hybrid:
    XR 19°
    Irons: MP-54 4-PW DG S300
    Wedges: MD2 Tour Grind 52° 56°
    Putter: O'Works Black #1

#SaveHiawatha
    ​https://www.facebook.com/SaveHiawathaGolf/

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    756 Posts
    Ready to set off with a buddy at Oyster Bay outside of Myrtle Beach in 2001.

Starter had us hold up, said he was gonna send a twosome out with us.

Moments later, they pull up and stop maybe 30' behind us to chat with the starter. My buddy, Chris, never at a loss for ill advised confidence, taps me on the chest and says, "an old dude and his son. Wanna take them down?" (betting)

I said, "there you go again, judging a book by its cover. You'll never learn."

Mark quickly bowed out of any games, I followed. Before Chris negotiated stakes with Gary, I quietly offered a final warning to him. Instinct was telling me something, Chris was oblivious. As usual, he just shrugged me off.

Three of us tee off, myself, Chris and Mark. All good shots.

Gary was last and he absolutely smoked the ball dead center and long. Abbreviated backswing, strong through the ball, the sound at impact was of the truly rare variety. I lobbed a sarcastic chuckle in Chris' direction.

Gary and Mark hopped in their carts first and went around ours, passing us while heading to their balls.

On the back of Gary's bag was an embroidered Canadian flag and his name, "Gary Cowan."

I said to Chris, "either he's a narcissistic dope like you, or you just got swindled." (qualifier: said for effect at the moment, no issue with names on bags)

Turns out Mr. Cowan was one of Canada's most accomplished amateur golfers and a member of the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame as well as their Sports HOF.

He, uh.. ahem.. also finished T25 in the 1964 Masters. Played along side Arnie and many of the game's greats.

Needless to say, Chris was indeed suckered and eventially paid in full. He was easily and handily taken down despite Gary being distracted as it was a playing lesson that he was giving Mark.

Gary Cowan was 63 at the time and averaged well over 300 yards with driver. His precision with every club in his bag was incredible. To this day, when I need to make an abbreviated swing, I picture his and say simply to myself, "Gary Cowan."

He was a man of few words and dry wit who graciously took a moment to comment about my golf game.

He asked, "you any good at tennis?"

🤣
    Last edited by WMac19; 05-27-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Epic 9*, Black Tie HD 6M3
    Exotics EX9 17* Recoil 670
    Exotics EX9 22* Recoil 670
    Exotics EX9 25* Recoil 670
    Apex CF16 5-GW, SteelFiber i95
    Mac Daddy PM Tour V 56*
    Mac Daddy PM Tour V 60*
    Directed Force Reno, 34" with Presse Grip
    Duo Urethane

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WMac19 For This Useful Post:

EaglevsFalcon (05-27-2018), Jman (05-27-2018), Nate (05-27-2018)

Golf Talker

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WMac19 View Post

Moments later, they pull up and stop maybe 30' behind us to chat with the starter. My buddy, Chris, never at a loss for ill advised confidence, taps me on the chest and says, "an old dude and his son. Wanna take them down?" (betting)

Mark quickly bowed out of any games, I followed. Before Chris negotiated stakes with Gary, I quietly offered a final warning to him. Instinct was telling me something, Chris was oblivious. As usual, he just shrugged me off.

Gary was last and he absolutely smoked the ball dead center and long. Abbreviated backswing, strong through the ball, the sound at impact was of the truly rare variety. I lobbed a sarcastic chuckle in Chris' direction.

Gary and Mark hopped in their carts first and went around ours, passing us while heading to their balls.

On the back of Gary's bag was an embroidered Canadian flag and his name, "Gary Cowan."

I said to Chris, "either he's a narcissistic dope like you, or you just got swindled." (qualifier: said for effect at the moment, no issue with names on bags)

Turns out Mr. Cowan was one of Canada's most accomplished amateur golfers and a member of the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame as well as their Sports HOF.

He, uh.. ahem.. also finished T25 in the 1964 Masters. Played along side Arnie and many of the game's greats.

Needless to say, Chris was indeed suckered and eventially paid in full. He was easily and handily taken down despite being distracted as it was a playing lesson that he was giving Mark.

Gary Cowan was 63 at the time and averaged well over 300 yards with driver. His precision with every club in his bag was incredible. To this day, when I need to make an abbreviated swing, I picture his and say simply to myself, "Gary Cowan."

He was a man of few words and dry wit who graciously took a moment to comment about my golf game.

🤣
    That is just an awesome story haha
    WITB:
    PING
    - G400 Max 10.5 -
    UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL 7X
    Callaway - Rogue 4W 17.0 - UST Mamiya ATTAS PUNCH 7X
    Callaway - Rogue HW 20.0 - UST Mamiya Elements Gold 7F5
    Taylormade - M3 4HY 22.0 - UST Mamiya V2 Hybrid 85F5
    Mizuno - MP18 5-6 Fli-Hi/7-9 SC/PW MB - KBS $-Taper 125
    Taylormade - Milled Grind 48-SB/54-SB/58-Hi-Toe - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SeeMore
    - m5x Prototype (1 of 3)
    Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jman For This Useful Post:

WMac19 (05-27-2018)

Handicap
    The heat
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WMac19 View Post

Needless to say, Chris was indeed suckered and eventially paid in full. He was easily and handily taken down despite Gary being distracted as it was a playing lesson that he was giving Mark.

��
    Great story. My buddie learned the whole book cover thing when he got smoked by a one eyed 60+ year old who shot a 68. His game was one of the best I have ever seen. The old guy not my friend.
    WITB

Callaway XR 16 Drive 9 Loft
    Callaway XR 16 3 Wood
    Callaway XR Steelhead 3-SW
    Mack Daddy R grind 60 Wedge
    Odyssey O-Works #2 Putter
    Vice Pro +

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Architex For This Useful Post:

WMac19 (05-27-2018)