I Found My Unicorn

Philo1

Reaction score
Handicap
I got a glimpse of it on Saturday.....observed it again on Monday....and now I know it’s real. I can now hit 290 down the middle. This is me celebrating, that’s rum and coke.

Attachments

• BB366512-983F-46A5-AC87-8BAE59E02177.jpeg
    BB366512-983F-46A5-AC87-8BAE59E02177.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 0
And here’s the thing. That driver cost me 16 bucks and it was made in 2001. Oh well, take a win when you get it, golf gods finally gave me one.

Taylremade 320 TI 10.5 driver. Don’t even know if it’s stiff or x stiff cause it doesn’t say. It’s a light TS100. And the weird thing? It has a jumbo max grip. FWIW. :beauty:

It looks like a muscled out three wood with a long shaft and a really big grip. I’m over the moon in spite of it being not pretty. I’ll take ugly, long and reliable over flashy and expensive.

Congratulations on finding a club that works for YOU. There are so many out there...for cheap. All it takes is the nut-sauce NOT to believe the hype.

Congrats!! Confidence in your clubs is a huge win!

If you can get that sort of distance out of older technology, I wonder what sort of distance you might get with newer technoloy

Good for you!...def worth a drink!...with that heavier grip do consider counter-balanced wood/iron shafts (they have a bit more weight in the butt section)

funny one of the best drivers i have ever played is a Taylormade Burner TP (2007) 270-280 baby fade back then when i was younger and swing was much better. Has a AXIV Accra M5 (X-Stiff) in it, and i still have it. Too much shaft for me right now, but i keep it in hopes maybe i can get back to where i was. Looking on Ebay just now they still sell for 80-120 for a 10 year old club, crazy.

Sidenote most forgiving driver i have hit is the Adams 10.5 XTD Ti was a nice find for me, and still in the bag, just picked a 9.5 for about 58.00 shipped.

Very nice! This should be a lesson to not always look to the new stuff to make your game better.

Thanks guys. I knew someone would understand my excitement. On this point....yes, you are right. I got this club by accident. I just bought a brand new Cobra F7 in October but couldn’t hit it. I tried all the drivers I could get my hands on and would have spent the money to get one. But I couldn’t hit them reliably. Then, thinking I’m drawn to a smaller head profile, I just bought this old TM driver for 16 bucks on eBay. I tried it,hated it because the face sits closed so gave it to my neighbor. Then he goes to his barrel and gives me this one. It’s the same driver but this face sits open.

In any event, I can’t tell you how good it feels to have confidence on the tee and not feel like you’re going to fail. This may sound shallow, but my life just got better. I hope you all find your mythical beasts as well, just remember they may not always look like rainbows.

It looks like a muscled out three wood with a long shaft and a really big grip. I’m over the moon in spite of it being not pretty. I’ll take ugly, long and reliable over flashy and expensive.

Ugly, long, and reliable is my name during sexy time.

Congrats on bagging a rare species.

Congrats! I will keep searching for mine...haha

Very nice! This should be a lesson to not always look to the new stuff to make your game better.

324vU.gif

That's great! There's nothing like finding that club that just works for you.

You take that back!!!

funny one of the best drivers i have ever played is a Taylormade Burner TP (2007) 270-280 baby fade back then when i was younger and swing was much better. Has a AXIV Accra M5 (X-Stiff) in it, and i still have it. Too much shaft for me right now, but i keep it in hopes maybe i can get back to where i was. Looking on Ebay just now they still sell for 80-120 for a 10 year old club, crazy.

Sidenote most forgiving driver i have hit is the Adams 10.5 XTD Ti was a nice find for me, and still in the bag, just picked a 9.5 for about 58.00 shipped.

Funny. I still have my 07 Burner as well. Mine has a Speeder Tour Spec 569 s in it. One of my favorite drivers to date and will probably never sell it.

So, it’s too damn cold nd windy to play golf. I like to play golf after work on Friday afternoons and usually can. And that is great, but it sucks when I can’t play. Anyway, thought I would talk about golf instead.

I’ve always said it’s the Indian, not the arrows. It’s the operator, not the tools. But, on second thought, I think gear really makes a difference. I know Stevie Ray Vaughn could make the worst guitar sound great.....but....for me, having found a unicorn, I switch. I say the gear makes a huge difference. I’m going to attempt to post a picture of a series of drivers going back to my first set.

This is a Wilson driver from about fifteen years ago, then a mini-driver from two years ago, my unicorn from 2001, a Callaway xHot, and a Cobra F7.

Attachments

• 89E22B7F-C6C9-4126-B505-CA2987A2CAA3.jpeg
    89E22B7F-C6C9-4126-B505-CA2987A2CAA3.jpeg
    692.2 KB · Views: 0
Funny how things work out, nice find and congrats! Hope it keeps working so well for you man.

So, that’s a real progression and it shows a big difference in clubs. A lot of changes, an evolution if you will, and they’re getting bigger.

So, I either hit those old clubs better or the unicorn has the exact shaft for me, IMO. It’s really stiff and when I give it a waggle, the head doesn’t shake like on all those others pictured.

Funny how things work out, nice find and congrats! Hope it keeps working so well for you man.

So, I was saying check out those clubs. Very different. I had a brand new Cobra Bio Cell - very cool looking driver BTW - in extra stiff and couldn’t hit it. But now, that’s the kind of shaft I like. So, the gear has changed but so have I as a golfer. I’ve only been playing a little over two years but now I can say I think I’m getting good, but still, some gear I just can’t play.

Oops. Meant to say thanks first, before all that. I’m still trying to figure out how to work this fancy technology, my bad.

Sorry, I ramble. I just ordered a set of Apex CF16 in as new condition from Callaway preowned. So, I’m excited to play this Spring because I think I will have perfect gear and I want to break 80.

Back