What motivates you?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Motivation is found many different ways in life and in our sport. For some it might be preparing for a tournament or THP event, for others it may be a personal battle or the challenge of the game, some may just may enjoy hitting balls at the range. Maybe its something else? What is it that motivates you to get better at this difficult game we love?

Last edited:
Every time I go out and play I want to shoot my personal best.

The same thing that has kept me playing this game for the last 30 years! Competition with myself to improve. I love it!! ( I really am a slow learner!!)

Personal satisfaction of playing the game I love. Playing to the best of my abilities is definitely as added bonus but not mandatory to truly enjoy the game.

Its simple for me.

Par.

That is the battle that will always motivate me.

Play better. Putting in the practice isn't the problem, I enjoy hitting the range and short game area. It's when it finally translates to the links that keeps me motivated to continue working on the game.

I'm self motivated so I don't need to be playing with/against other people or playing for money/beer. When I step on the course I am always focused and wanting to finally break 80 for the first time.

Being bad at things motivates me. And I am really bad at golf, as a general rule.

Right now, the motivation is to play well enough to have a great time. I'm not out there grinding out during a journey to scratch or whatever, I just want to go out and enjoy my time away.

It's situational for me. If I have some kind of event coming up than I'm motivated by that and busting my butt to get as good as possible. If there's nothing on the horizon I'm purely motivated by the fun and spending time with my buddies.

Forum tags has been a good motivation for me.

Playing at a high level under pressure in events is something that continually drives me. (high level for me defined as being a 10-12 capper but coming into an event and playing more like a 5-7.....it's something I've often been able to do but not every time by any means)

Setting handicap goals. Last year I wanted to be in the teens but my schedule didn’t allow it. So this year I’m doubly motivated to get out there, shave strokes off via my short game, and get the handicap down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's playing to my ability. Currently that means I should play to a 10 or 11 hcap each time out & when I don't i get motivated to clean up the swing to play the golf I know I am capable of playing.

It's usually an event or competition coming up, sometimes that's something local at my home course, otherwise it's a THP event, but it's always the carrot at the end of the stick for sure.

I really just want to know what my ceiling is in terms of my golfing ability. It's a sport that barring any health setbacks I can play into my later life so I want to look back and say damn, I actually was pretty damn good for just a hacker.

the shot. you know the one. you step in and know what you want the ball to do. you know the shape, the trajectory, and the target. you know you're going to hit it well before you start your backswing. and it comes off perfectly. effortlessly. like you've been doing it since you first picked up a club. you pose (maybe a little too long). you twirl the club (what, just me?!). you walk off like "meh, no big deal. just doing it like i do." but inside you're giving yourself high fives and college football jumping back bumps.

you may only hit one of those shots in a large bucket. or once in 18 holes. it may even just be a breaking 4' putt to save double. but that feeling of accomplishment and execution is what keeps me coming back, and motivated to make it happen every time.

My top motivator is the fact that I want something I can make enjoy with my son and make lifelong memories for us both as he grows. Yes, I like being competitive and successful at all endeavors and that drives me as well but nothing is as important as family.

Trying to shoot a new personal best. Making sure I always beat the guy I play our small money game with. ( He just hates losing so much it drives him crazy!!)
Trying to beat the guy who has really helped me in my game, (it has only happened once in the last 2 years)

In 2001 I was burned 40% of my body 2nd and 3rd degree burns and my hands took a big hit. I never thought I would golf again so I had put it out of my mind of ever playing again. In 2010 our oldest child, son, developed cancer and 3 years later we lost the battle and lost him. He was 18. After years of therapy to my hands I had regained enough function to try golfing again. The first swing I told everyone to watch out as I wasnt sure if I would be able to hold on through the entire swing. Obviously I was able to and it gave my golfing a rebirth.

I get my drive from my love for the game and having learned that life is unknown in how much time we have here. I want to give it my absolute best effort to be as good as I can be so I can get the most enjoyment out of the game that I can. It's been 4 yrs since I picked up a club again and is also when I found THP and with everything I have learned here and all the hard work I've put in I have had a few rounds in the 80's at the end of last season.

I don't know what motivates me to play golf. It's a game I've been around, since birth, and have always enjoyed. It has never occurred to me not to play.

My desire to get as good as I possibly can at this game motivate me regardless if I'm playing with my usual group, going on a golf trip or if I'm at a THP event.

My personal best. I want to beat it to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke.

Yes that's a bit of a feedback loop from hell, but... :alien2:

What motivates me is the desire to get better every day. In all aspects of life I aspire to be the greatest possible version of myself and golf is no different.

The battle to improve in the face of adversity is what motivates me the most to continue playing this game. I love golf because, as in life, you can never end up in a place where everything is absolutely perfect. You can hit the most flush shot of your life in a tournament/money game and follow the ball as it soars through the air with the perfect draw you've been working on for weeks at the range only to have it hit off of a stray acorn sitting on the green and watch helplessly as it runs off the back side and into a bunker leaving you scrambling for par. There are no perfect games in golf. It's a wonderful metaphor for life.

On a personal level, what is motivating me this season is getting my brother into the game. It's flat out fantastic to have a playing partner in him and I'll be playing so many more rounds this year because of it.

Back