TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

So decided to head the golf store before closing to get some initial numbers for new shaft in M1. All I can say is "WOW". Kc720 you were right. Demoed with 460 9.5 head. Weights set at low and center.

755dbcaed792a2678cf08d137e1963f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking numbers

So decided to head the golf store before closing to get some initial numbers for new shaft in M1. All I can say is "WOW". Kc720 you were right. Demoed with 460 9.5 head. Weights set at low and center.

755dbcaed792a2678cf08d137e1963f8.jpg

That's impressive Alez! I usually take the total distance with these types of monitors with a grain of salt (like you I have a 40+ angle of descent and rarely anticipate a ton of roll) but that last drive was SERIOUS! Dead on line, right on the bottom end of the spin spectrum with nice launch carrying almost 280.... TWO-EIGHTY!!!! You're about as close to 17* and 1,700 on that one as I've seen in a while!

What was different about the first drive to the third? I noticed the first one was off to the right but the contact appears similar to the others. Swing path?

That's impressive Alez! I usually take the total distance with these types of monitors with a grain of salt (like you I have a 40+ angle of descent and rarely anticipate a ton of roll) but that last drive was SERIOUS! Dead on line, right on the bottom end of the spin spectrum with nice launch carrying almost 280.... TWO-EIGHTY!!!! You're about as close to 17* and 1,700 on that one as I've seen in a while!

What was different about the first drive to the third? I noticed the first one was off to the right but the contact appears similar to the others. Swing path?

Thanks Dan, these three swings were taken after about 10 warmup drives in the sim. The first swing was to get a line and the second and third were full speed once I figured out my aim point on the netting. The last drive was great from a swing and feel stand point. Just like you, I am skeptical of the roll since lately my Descent angle has been +40 and I really only get about 5-10 yds roll on non drought stricken fairways. I will say, these numbers are the longest numbers I've ever had in my last full year of testing on this specific machine. My gamer is a 430 M1 10.5 while this was a 460 M1 9.5 so I'll definitely be doing this again soon with my gamer.

Regardless of my own experiences I am excited to see so many people finding a lot of success with the M1. Seeing these gains along with improvements in forgiveness is a step in a good direction.

Regardless of my own experiences I am excited to see so many people finding a lot of success with the M1. Seeing these gains along with improvements in forgiveness is a step in a good direction.

So was it a shaft issue that caused the bad testing with M1 or you think it was the head? cause for me the 460 head isn't as good as the 430 head.

So was it a shaft issue that caused the bad testing with M1 or you think it was the head? cause for me the 460 head isn't as good as the 430 head.

Maybe. I haven't gone through a full fitting.

Thanks Dan, these three swings were taken after about 10 warmup drives in the sim. The first swing was to get a line and the second and third were full speed once I figured out my aim point on the netting. The last drive was great from a swing and feel stand point. Just like you, I am skeptical of the roll since lately my Descent angle has been +40 and I really only get about 5-10 yds roll on non drought stricken fairways. I will say, these numbers are the longest numbers I've ever had in my last full year of testing on this specific machine. My gamer is a 430 M1 10.5 while this was a 460 M1 9.5 so I'll definitely be doing this again soon with my gamer.

That's a great idea. I'd love to see them side by side as I am sure you know your real world gamer numbers! May the best driver win.

Maybe. I haven't gone through a full fitting.

I'm on my 5 different testing shaft. each new shaft has been an improvement over that last. Definitely a club that you would be well to be fit into. But i have a feeling your new Cobra King LTD erased the need to be fit into a M1.

This driver is one of the most interesting releases I can recall because of the delta between what people are seeing vs the underlying tech info obtained directly from the designers of the club. I find it fascinating.

Might have been one of the first to get an M1 .....things are only getting better! Still with the 15yd gains and now......drum roll please.....I've added the 3 metal! Only used off the tee BUT it might be better than driver! SERIOUSLY! Super solid feel.....

Quick recap: I'm on my 2nd life as a golfer......1st guy was 110 driver 265 carry 7 iron 170.....after type 2 diabetes attacked my body those #'s became my new norm of 210-215 carry 7 iron 145......

M1 has brought that back up magically to 230 carry and with a new iron/shaft combo 7 iron 155......Adams XTD FORGED irons with Nippon 1150 tour but 1/2" over.....I've played 1/2" over for awhile giving my back some relief but this has been the first true gain.

M1 has been the most perfect driver for me.....looks, sound, flight consistency, distance consistency, forgiveness with proper spin and launch (higher)

Honeymoon over! Mic drop......

How does this thing compare to the Fly-Z+ in terms of spin and forgiveness?

Going to be lower in spin by a pretty good margin and the center of gravity is placed a bit more forward. This (in theory) would make it a bit more penal than the Fly-Z+ assuming weights are in the same spot.

Might have been one of the first to get an M1 .....things are only getting better! Still with the 15yd gains and now......drum roll please.....I've added the 3 metal! Only used off the tee BUT it might be better than driver! SERIOUSLY! Super solid feel.....

I haven't cared for TMs fairways for a while but this driver has me pondering the fairway as well.

Same here. The 460 wasn't even on the same planet as the 430 for me.

Not a bad day at all with the M1. I love this driver.
d2826f834afc7712c13115aebc26d195.jpg

GolfFest......do you recall liking any tm fwy in the past?

No. The last one I owned was an RBZ 3wood.

I've really liked the Titleist fairways and hybrids I've been playing but if the M1 fairway is a good one I definitely want to hit it.

I am legitimately puzzled by the results I saw recently. I know my swing is off - OTT, fading the ball and SS down 5mph from 6 months ago...all the hallmarks of inefficient contact. Yet I got those smash factor numbers. Something doesn't add up.

I am legitimately puzzled by the results I saw recently. I know my swing is off - OTT, fading the ball and SS down 5mph from 6 months ago...all the hallmarks of inefficient contact. Yet I got those smash factor numbers. Something doesn't add up.

If you were peppering the center of the face dude, don't sweat it. This is one of those things where staring at the numbers too much will drive you crazy. If it won in your book, then don't overthink it.

Depending on the type of monitor used some variables are pre-set or assumed, not actual readings. Smash factor being one of those. Most machines/monitors read only a few data points and plug in constants to arrive at the other numbers. I'm sure these readings are still very accurate as the assumptions are based on data.

If you need a driver to kill spin, this is it.

If I weren't such a tightwad, I'd be putting one of these in the bag pronto.

Well sorry to break it to you but......you'll own one! Round and half with it.....coordinating shaft .....might be even BETTER than the driver!

@GolfFest

Last edited:
I hit this at Golfsmith last week.......never could get over the sound

I don't care for the sound either. But the numbers speak for themselves. Will keep on look out for a good deal this off season

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

2nd outing with my M1 this past weekend was great. Love this club so far! Getting great distance too :)

Back