Long Iron or Hybrid? Why do you play what you play?

I'm going to be going with a 3 g400 crossover

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Long Iron or Hybrid? Why do you play what you play?

I go down to a 4 iron in my set. Used to keep a 2 iron for tee balls and such but I’ve moved to a hybrid in the last 6 months or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 4-iron and then a 2-hybrid. I usually hit my irons plenty high and make good contact. I'd say I consider long iron play to be one of the strengths of my game relative to other players. So I'm comfortable with the 4-iron for the gap it fills in my bag. But if I get much beyond 4-iron distance in my bag, I'm usually looking for something with more distance than I'd get from a 3-iron or even something like a 2 UT. I use it off the tee occasionally, and it acts as basically a 5-wood replacement from the fairway. That's not to say there aren't times were one more long iron would come in handy. For example, if I'm playing a long par 3 into the wind and can't quite get my 4-iron there, it can be tough to accurately gauge distance with the hybrid. But overall, this setup seems to work pretty well for me.

No idea why, but I hit my long irons super well. Hybrids . . . not so much. I've asked PING about a 2 & 3 iron to go with my g400s . . . not expecting any positive response!!!

Let me know how that works for you! I'm considering that but have never hit a crossover . . .
I was fit to it at my Club Champion fitting. Excited for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I carry a 4i then go to 3h. I can't hit my 4i when needed. But a 3i I can't hit to save my life. I feel as though a hybrid is easier to hit than a small iron head with little loft. For me, the hybrid just cuts through the grass better. And get the ball in the air easier. But what do I know...

Irons thru 5i. Hybrids after.

Why? Because I can't hit long irons as consistently as hybrids

Hybrids because I can't hit long irons worth a crap...or hybrids for that matter but one pile of crap is smaller than the other so hybrids it is.

I love my 4i and my 3h is great off the tee but not so much from the fairway

Last year, I carried a 3 and 4 hybrid for most of the year, but put a 5 hybrid in the bag near the end of the year. The hybrids were intended to be corresponding iron replacements. I felt that I got more height and distance retention on misshits than the corresponding irons, although the 5 iron is more precise than the hybrid on good ball striking days.

This year, I have put a 5 and 3 Rogue hybrid in the bag. I am hoping that I can cover essentially the same range of distances with two hybrids that I covered with three last year, presuming I can get about 10 more yards out of my 6 iron than I did last year (which I believe my P790s will give me). If that gapping works out, I will be able to carry a 5 wood regularly and better attack par 5s.

We will see if the experiment works.

I prefer a 4 iron but I don't seem to get the height I need for the ball to stop. The Apex hybrids are kinda right in the middle of the big hybrids and long irons so they work well for now. I'm carrying 15 clubs and probably will unless I play in a local tournament. Nothing to lose or gain either way and the 5 wood comes in handy.

Hybrid for me from 5i down. I’m low launcher, so a hybrid just gives me that extra little bit of help getting the ball up. A 5iron or below just drops out the air and doesn’t give me the distance I need.

#FiberLaunch

I have a hybrid, in the 4 spot, between the 5 wood and 5 iron. I am using it more and more in the 175-200 range. The real "aha" moment, for me, was an intentional cut I played, from about 160 and into a breeze. That got me thinking that I wasn't fully utilizing the hybrid...it might ought to be thought of as a fairway wedge.

Hybrid in the 3-4 spot, start with a 5i in the irons. Some of it is ego, and just loving the look and feel of a well struck long iron, so I want to keep one in the bag. I'm also not a huge fan of the look of a hybrid with a ton of loft.

But I'm also playing pretty much GI iron no matter which set I have in the bag - if I went to a more player-centric set I'd probably start the hybrid in the 5 spot or go to a utility.

I don't mind hitting a 3i from the fairway or the tee, but I'd rather have my hybrid from the rough and I like to pull it out around the green when I need to go Texas wedge-style or if I'm up against the collar.

I've played a hybrid in the 4 iron spot for the past couple of years. The Apex seems like a perfect replacement in that spot. However, I'm pretty interested in trying out a Utility Iron in that spot just to see how it works.

You're welcome to try my Callaway X Utility 18*

Hybrids all day every day. I use big Bertha 4 hybrid, then the Callaway OS 5 and 6. I wanted the OS 7 hybrid, but couldn’t find one at a good price, so I bought a Women’s OS hybrid and shafted with a Regular Flex Shaft. It’s awesome

I don’t play any hybrids. Irons are easier for me because I’m more likely to hook a hybrid.

I struggled all last year with my hybrids. I just had too many misses with them left and right. So I said no thanks to the Rogue hybrids and have 3i/4i in the bag right now. We will see how it works this year

3 wood, 18* hybrid, 3iron then down to 6i... My long gaps are all over the place, but honestly I rarely ever hit them.

4 iron is as low as I go. I hit it well and like how it gaps.

Both I guess, I carry a 4i and a 3h. I like having them both in the bag for different reasons.

I struggled with hybrids until I found the Apex then I went all in. Started with the 3 then got a 4 and this year got a 5.

I currently play a 4 and 5 Altitude in the long iron slots. 3w/HW/4 alt/5 alt. I find it puts me in a bit of a bind sometimes when the HW swing isn't working great, and could use a bit more distance out of the long iron slots.

Pondering a move back to a hybrid in the 3 slot (having nothing there now), and possibly the 4 slot as well.

Back